Mantra vs Para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MountainMan23

Mantra vs Para 2

Post by MountainMan23 »

Hello!
I've been trying to make a decision, should I purchase the Mantra in Cpm-M4 and Titanium handles, or the Para 2 in S110v and Blurple G-10 handles? I love the look of both knives, and they seem very nice, but I'm not sure which one to purchase first.
Thanks!
Currently searching for: Para 2 Cruwear, Para 3 Cruwear
Wright.88

Re: Mantra vs Para 2

Post by Wright.88 »

Any way for you to feel both in hand and see which one feels better? Cutting length is very similar on both, but the Mantra carries a little smaller. M4 and S110v both provide excellent edge retention. S110V is going to have excellent corrosion resistance, M4 will rust/patina on you if you don't take care of it (I've had it get small rust spots in my pocket during a sweaty hike). The PM2 lets you choke up with a choil, the mantra doesn't. The PM2 fits my hand perfectly, I think it's one of the most comfortable/ergonomic knives out there. The mantra is excellent, too, just not as good for me. I own both and love both, but the PM2 i my favorite knife I own. You can't go wrong with either, though.

I'd say decide which factors are most important to you and go from there :)
MountainMan23

Post by MountainMan23 »

Wright.88 wrote:Any way for you to feel both in hand and see which one feels better? Cutting length is very similar on both, but the Mantra carries a little smaller. M4 and S110v both provide excellent edge retention. S110V is going to have excellent corrosion resistance, M4 will rust/patina on you if you don't take care of it (I've had it get small rust spots in my pocket during a sweaty hike). The PM2 lets you choke up with a choil, the mantra doesn't. The PM2 fits my hand perfectly, I think it's one of the most comfortable/ergonomic knives out there. The mantra is excellent, too, just not as good for me. I own both and love both, but the PM2 i my favorite knife I own. You can't go wrong with either, though.

I'd say decide which factors are most important to you and go from there :)
Unfortunately, no stores around me sell Spyderco. I'll be ordering from Knife Center, or Blade HQ. I'd love to be able to feel the difference between them. More and more signs are pointing to the Para 2.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

If you don't have a preference in steels then what about ergonomics? If you like the Para 2 then get it. It's a great knife and S110V is impressive. I prefer M4 but wouldn't complain about S110V even a little.

I try to get exactly what I want the first time because not doing that eventually costs more money when I go back.

Joe
remnar

Post by remnar »

Since you are a MountainMan, I'd assume you plan to take the knife into the wild. For that reason, I'd choose the PM2. The steel is more corrosion resistant, the handle is much more versatile (I find the Mantra to be a little cramped and I don't have large hands), and the clip on the PM2 will provide better retention than the wire clip, which may be important if trekking through the mountains. I own a Mantra and a few PM2s and prefer the PM2 in the outdoors, but the Mantra provides a slimmer package with a great, although not stainless, steel and makes a fine city carry.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

You realize you will end up getting both,right?One for town,one for outdoors.The real question is which you will get first,and like remnar said,you are MountainMan,so you should get the PM2 first.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Para2 is a perfect allarounder.Great ergos and organic blade shape.I have medium hands and Mantra doesn't feel right in both gorilla grip and saber grip.Once you decide to remove the flipper tab, the ergos will improve.It's quite slippery and M4 will stain and eventually rust on you if you don't take care.Mantra is still a great folder and it carries very well.I only wish they release a non-flipper Mantra with G10 scales in SRS15 steel.That would be a game changer :cool:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
MountainMan23

Post by MountainMan23 »

remnar wrote:Since you are a MountainMan, I'd assume you plan to take the knife into the wild. For that reason, I'd choose the PM2. The steel is more corrosion resistant, the handle is much more versatile (I find the Mantra to be a little cramped and I don't have large hands), and the clip on the PM2 will provide better retention than the wire clip, which may be important if trekking through the mountains. I own a Mantra and a few PM2s and prefer the PM2 in the outdoors, but the Mantra provides a slimmer package with a great, although not stainless, steel and makes a fine city carry.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
spyderwolf wrote:You realize you will end up getting both,right?One for town,one for outdoors.The real question is which you will get first,and like remnar said,you are MountainMan,so you should get the PM2 first.
Your assumptions are correct :)
One of the main tasks of this knife will be light woodcarving. I believe the PM2 in S110v will be my choice from the two. Thanks!
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Wow - those are two very different knives; I own both. The Mantra is a great EDC knife with a smoother (once broken in) action. The PM2 is a bit more rugged (IMO) and the S110V steel stands up better to corrosion and holds a edge well. Both are great steels; what is your use case? Do you like to experiment with different knife profiles or do you (like me) just like to keep the thing sharp? Is corrosion a concern?

If you plan on eventually getting both and you want to know which one to get first - I guess I would go with the Mantra. You never know when Spyderco will stop making it. The PM2 in S110V will probably be around for a long time.
Last edited by dreadpirate on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wish the Mantra was just a tiny bit bigger, maybe about 3/8-1/4 inch longer in the handle and blade. That would keep the handle from feeling cramped behind the flipper tab.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tap78

Post by tap78 »

I hope this pictures will help to make a decision...

Last edited by tap78 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Holland

Post by Holland »

Evil D wrote:I wish the Mantra was just a tiny bit bigger, maybe about 3/8-1/4 inch longer in the handle and blade. That would keep the handle from feeling cramped behind the flipper tab.
Grind the flipper off, lots of room once you do that ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I really like the mantra and regret having sold mine.
You can think of it as a titanium frame lock delica with m4 steel, maybe that will help you.

Personally I always found the pm2 a bit too hefty for edc.