Favorite fixed blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 964
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby captnvegtble » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Bushcraft in Burl Maple handles with O1 steel

vivi
Member
Posts: 7904
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Favorite fixe blade

Postby vivi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:51 pm

Evil D wrote:
mb1 wrote: @Evil D mentioned bolt on scales. I get the Esee comparison, but in general, why are these used? Is it just customization potential? Maintenance concerns with carbon steel blades? I always prefer pinned handles.
Cleaning is one advantage but also because you can take them off and make the knife ultra thin and a little lighter if you carry it as a neck knife. I do think pinned is far more handsome. Screwed scales also allow you to change them out with custom scales.
There are numerous Perrin bowie knives on the market with no scales FYI, might want to look into those. Different sizes are available.
Current favorites:

Police 4 K390 & FRN ||| Police 4 K390 & Pakkawood ||| Manix XL M4 DLC & Micarta ||| Street Beat

Tdog
Member
Posts: 1853
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: The woods of Florida

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby Tdog » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:00 pm

My reground Southfork is probably my favorite followed by the Sprig. (Toss-up) Prior to these models, the Aqua Salt was the fave. The Temp 2 is also very nice and a serious chunk'o VG-10. I remember being somewhat surprised at this the first time I held it. If I didn't already have one, I'd be jumping on it at the discontinued prices.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4737
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby Bloke » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Tdog wrote:My reground Southfork is probably my favorite followed by the Sprig. (Toss-up) Prior to these models, the Aqua Salt was the fave. The Temp 2 is also very nice and a serious chunk'o VG-10. I remember being somewhat surprised at this the first time I held it. If I didn't already have one, I'd be jumping on it at the discontinued prices.
Great minds think alike Greg. ;)

I love my Sprig! I'm eagerly awaiting my Southfork and a Temp 2 is beckoning. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
Capt'n Boatsalot
Member
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby Capt'n Boatsalot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:42 pm

This is the worst thread for my wallet... And I don't even kind of "need" fixed blades....

That being said, I did get a Southfork from KC at the closeout price. This is a piece that I've long been interested in, but couldn't ever justify the price. Love the trailing point design and S90V. Figured that now is the time.

And now, thanks to this thread, both the Street Beat (Evil D) and the Temperance 2 (JD Spydo) come highly recommended and I am considering one or the other (not both though).

Temp 2 looks like a large Mule, which is a great thing in my book. But I've already got several blades in this length as camping FBs, and so I think this is more redundant to my current FBs.

The Street Beat is one I wasn't previously interested in, but as I started to look into it, it seeks like it could be useful. Reasonably lightweight, and smallish alternative to my typical folders. Love the excellent F&F, and especially the very nicely done micarta scales.

Both in VG10, which while not cutting edge (pun!), is a good steel for a FB.

So... Choices.

Oh, and my current favorite Spydie is definitely the Mules. Mine in 4V is my most used Fixed Blade and my fav! But make the Aqua Salt in a PE with better edge retention and I think it will vault into the lead.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22339
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby Evil D » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:44 am

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:This is the worst thread for my wallet... And I don't even kind of "need" fixed blades....
The thing with the Street Beat is how much value you're getting at this price. VG10 may not be the latest and greatest but it still isn't a cheap (inexpensive) steel, and you're getting a pretty significant slab of it with very nicely done scales. Not to trash talk ESEE but this knife is on another level compared to an Izula II or just about any equally sized knife with equal materials. There are lots of knives in this size that are cheaper but you're getting cheaper materials and less "niceness" unless you're looking at customs but then you're also probably spending even more money.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

VashHash
Member
Posts: 4063
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby VashHash » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:11 am

Evil D wrote:
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:This is the worst thread for my wallet... And I don't even kind of "need" fixed blades....
The thing with the Street Beat is how much value you're getting at this price. VG10 may not be the latest and greatest but it still isn't a cheap (inexpensive) steel, and you're getting a pretty significant slab of it with very nicely done scales. Not to trash talk ESEE but this knife is on another level compared to an Izula II or just about any equally sized knife with equal materials. There are lots of knives in this size that are cheaper but you're getting cheaper materials and less "niceness" unless you're looking at customs but then you're also probably spending even more money.
I get my street beat today but I'm impatient. So i have to ask. How's the retention on the sheath?

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22339
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby Evil D » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:22 am

VashHash wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:This is the worst thread for my wallet... And I don't even kind of "need" fixed blades....
The thing with the Street Beat is how much value you're getting at this price. VG10 may not be the latest and greatest but it still isn't a cheap (inexpensive) steel, and you're getting a pretty significant slab of it with very nicely done scales. Not to trash talk ESEE but this knife is on another level compared to an Izula II or just about any equally sized knife with equal materials. There are lots of knives in this size that are cheaper but you're getting cheaper materials and less "niceness" unless you're looking at customs but then you're also probably spending even more money.
I get my street beat today but I'm impatient. So i have to ask. How's the retention on the sheath?

When new it's almost too strong. I've read that it can loosen up to the point that it rattles a bit. I guess the issue is that the edge of the choil scrapes the sheath coming out (which it does) and eventually scrapes out enough material to loosen the fit. Personally I'm planning on replacing the sheath, it's not really my thing. Plus I wanted to smooth out those edges on the choil anyway which would probably have the same effect of loosening the fit. I suppose it can be tightened back up just like kydex?
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

VashHash
Member
Posts: 4063
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby VashHash » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:34 am

Evil D wrote:
VashHash wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:This is the worst thread for my wallet... And I don't even kind of "need" fixed blades....
The thing with the Street Beat is how much value you're getting at this price. VG10 may not be the latest and greatest but it still isn't a cheap (inexpensive) steel, and you're getting a pretty significant slab of it with very nicely done scales. Not to trash talk ESEE but this knife is on another level compared to an Izula II or just about any equally sized knife with equal materials. There are lots of knives in this size that are cheaper but you're getting cheaper materials and less "niceness" unless you're looking at customs but then you're also probably spending even more money.
I get my street beat today but I'm impatient. So i have to ask. How's the retention on the sheath?

When new it's almost too strong. I've read that it can loosen up to the point that it rattles a bit. I guess the issue is that the edge of the choil scrapes the sheath coming out (which it does) and eventually scrapes out enough material to loosen the fit. Personally I'm planning on replacing the sheath, it's not really my thing. Plus I wanted to smooth out those edges on the choil anyway which would probably have the same effect of loosening the fit. I suppose it can be tightened back up just like kydex?
Is it the old style sheath or the newer one like the lightweight? I know the old style sheath looked like each one was custom made for the knife. The light weight sheaths are like the Salt series knives. I'm probably going to go with a taco kydex sheath myself for a smaller footprint. The factory sheath wouldn't be bad for owb but the taco would work better for IWB.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22339
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby Evil D » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:54 am

VashHash wrote: Is it the old style sheath or the newer one like the lightweight? I know the old style sheath looked like each one was custom made for the knife. The light weight sheaths are like the Salt series knives. I'm probably going to go with a taco kydex sheath myself for a smaller footprint. The factory sheath wouldn't be bad for owb but the taco would work better for IWB.

I'm not really familiar with the different sheaths as this is my first Spyderco fixed blade. It's a double layer and very thick/rigid. I'm looking to have a nice IWB leather sheath made.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

VashHash
Member
Posts: 4063
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby VashHash » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:08 am

Evil D wrote:
VashHash wrote: Is it the old style sheath or the newer one like the lightweight? I know the old style sheath looked like each one was custom made for the knife. The light weight sheaths are like the Salt series knives. I'm probably going to go with a taco kydex sheath myself for a smaller footprint. The factory sheath wouldn't be bad for owb but the taco would work better for IWB.

I'm not really familiar with the different sheaths as this is my first Spyderco fixed blade. It's a double layer and very thick/rigid. I'm looking to have a nice IWB leather sheath made.
Sounds like the old style sheath. Thanks for the info. Mine just arrived at the local PO just waiting on delivery.

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8587
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby xceptnl » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:09 am

Really wanting a Street Beat, but the pricing on the Temperance 2 is almost irresistible
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25434
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby The Deacon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 am

Moran Drop Point, although I do wish they'd make a full tang version. A leather sheath like the original ones came with would also be great.
Image
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

VashHash
Member
Posts: 4063
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Postby VashHash » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am

The Deacon wrote:Moran Drop Point, although I do wish they'd make a full tang version. A leather sheath like the original ones came with would also be great.
Image
I really like the sheath on the original Morans. I also like the mirror polish too. I was lucky enough to find one as new old stock at a B&M. I like kydex for certain things but leather really makes a knife look less "threatening".


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cl1ff, Crux, DrawBackwards, jacala, TenGrainBread, Wartstein and 34 guests