Chaparral with Micarta Scales / More Micarta-Handled Folders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Chaparral with Micarta Scales / More Micarta-Handled Folders?

Post by carrot »

I recently got a customized Spyderco with micarta scales and I sincerely forgot how nice micarta is as a handle material. It's tough, warm to the touch, and can be sanded to be smooth yet still grippy, even when wet.

I really think that the next Chaparral handle doesn't need to be a fancy one, just a nice one. Some kind of micarta would fit that bill nicely. We have a few beautiful versions now, let's have a couple versions for the users who want something a little more "jeans" carry.

While we're at it, why doesn't Spyderco use more micarta? We see a ton of G-10, and by all accounts micarta is not particularly hard to machine or expensive to buy.
NickShabazz

Re: Chaparral with Micarta Scales / More Micarta-Handled Folders?

Post by NickShabazz »

Man, I'd love to see a Micarta Delica along the lines of the Pakkawood model. That'd be stellar.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Micarta chapy would be awesome
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

NickShabazz wrote:Man, I'd love to see a Micarta Delica along the lines of the Pakkawood model. That'd be stellar.
+1, wouldn't that just be such an epic Delica, love the Pakka, actually bought 2, I'd grab a couple Micarta for sure. I have 4 :spyder:'s with aftermarket Micarta already.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal has said several times that he's reluctant to use micarta due to dimensional stability issues. For me, the main advantage micarta had over polished G-10 was that micarta offered better grip with wet hands. However, most of what's called micarta today is not the "original recipe" and lacks that characteristic. So, while I'd love to see a micarta Chaparral, I'd be just as happy to see one in polished G-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
carrot

Post by carrot »

The Deacon wrote:Sal has said several times that he's reluctant to use micarta due to dimensional stability issues. For me, the main advantage micarta had over polished G-10 was that micarta offered better grip with wet hands. However, most of what's called micarta today is not the "original recipe" and lacks that characteristic. So, while I'd love to see a micarta Chaparral, I'd be just as happy to see one in polished G-10.
I recently heard that the only kind of micarta that generally sees stability issues is paper micarta, and that canvas and linen micarta as commonly used in fixed blades has excellent durability.

I think that, regardless, the Chaparral would be a good platform for micarta scales, because of its design where the scales are not needed for structural integrity. It'd be nice to get a little variety; I've had enough peel-ply G-10 for now!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

carrot wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Sal has said several times that he's reluctant to use micarta due to dimensional stability issues. For me, the main advantage micarta had over polished G-10 was that micarta offered better grip with wet hands. However, most of what's called micarta today is not the "original recipe" and lacks that characteristic. So, while I'd love to see a micarta Chaparral, I'd be just as happy to see one in polished G-10.
I recently heard that the only kind of micarta that generally sees stability issues is paper micarta, and that canvas and linen micarta as commonly used in fixed blades has excellent durability.

I think that, regardless, the Chaparral would be a good platform for micarta scales, because of its design where the scales are not needed for structural integrity. It'd be nice to get a little variety; I've had enough peel-ply G-10 for now!
If I never saw peel ply G-10 (or peel-ply CF) again, it would be too soon, but polished G-10 is a whole different animal.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
carrot

Post by carrot »

The Deacon wrote:If I never saw peel ply G-10 (or peel-ply CF) again, it would be too soon, [...snip]
Absolutely agreed.

I love smooth handle scales, but I own enough heavily textured handles to last several lifetimes. I want my next knives to feel like they've melted in my hand.

I once had a smooth-handled G-10 knife and it was very, very nice. But I still think there's something to micarta that lends a softness of feel quite unlike G-10.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If I never saw peel ply G-10 (or peel-ply CF) again, it would be too soon, but polished G-10 is a whole different animal.
As great as it looks, polished G10 is quite fragile in terms of scuffing and scarring. I recently dropped my green G10 Native and it left a nasty whitish scar. I have become less enthused with polished G10 after that accident. I’ll take Micarta, please.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
foofie

Post by foofie »

Yes please. The chaparral is the platform to experiment with different scales - what better than micarta? Wood would be nice as well, like the sage 4. But micarta first!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've got all the Chapparal's, so I'd be into this one too. I'd definitely like something smooth. That polished G-10 looks awesome, too.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Green canvas or white linen, please
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

No sense in wasting any excitement over this. Spyderco can't seem to release the FRN version of the Chaparral that they've been talking about for the last couple years. No reason to feel this would ever happen within the next five years.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Yes please!
:spyder:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Bring back the black linen.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote: If I never saw peel ply G-10 (or peel-ply CF) again, it would be too soon, but polished G-10 is a whole different animal.
+1
Make it contoured and I will be really happy.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

I would buy literally any spyderco offered in micarta or copper.
foofie

Post by foofie »

So... uh... Where are the pics :D
sal

Post by sal »

Copper is out, But I'm looking into Micarta for Chappy's.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:Copper is out, But I'm looking into Micarta for Chappy's.

sal
Now that sounds interesting!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!