Discontinued models on sale... what to do?!?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Discontinued models on sale... what to do?!?

Post by awa54 »

Argh! I thought I was done buying knives for the year when my Caly 3 Sprint arrived, then I learned about the 52100 PM2, spotted a reasonably priced Vesuvius on Ebay and now, like an idiot I read the "deals" thread...

Fluted Ti Native and Millie, Ti Millie with QCI, PITS, Lil' Lionspy, Southfork....

It's times like these that I really wish I was either rich, or didn't have an internet connection!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sharp Guy

Re: Discontinued models on sale... what to do?!?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have to keep restraining myself from ordering the fluted Ti Native 5.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Showing restraint so far on the Vrango and PITS, we'll see how long that lasts.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had to jump on the Street Beat even though fixed blades typically aren't my thing. I've always liked it and I've held one so I know I'll like it in use. It was a purchase I wasn't ready for, and basically it's going to put any other buys on hold for a bit. At this rate the Caribbean looks to be a ways off so that may not be so bad.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A Southfork is hurtling towards me as I type. :cool:

The M4 Military with the SquareHead is too good a deal to pass up, a Temp 2 is beckoning me and beloved wife gave up her job to look after her ill parents ... :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I've been looking at the PITS and South Fork, and checking stock status on a daily basis.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

farnorthdan wrote:Showing restraint so far on the Vrango and PITS, we'll see how long that lasts.
Stop that. Stop it right now. I just got my Vrango, and it's absolutely the coolest knife I own. Call it an early Halloween present to yourself, however you have to rationalize it, you can't pass this up for $140 from KC!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

PayneTrain wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Showing restraint so far on the Vrango and PITS, we'll see how long that lasts.
Stop that. Stop it right now. I just got my Vrango, and it's absolutely the coolest knife I own. Call it an early Halloween present to yourself, however you have to rationalize it, you can't pass this up for $140 from KC!
I've been VERY tempted by the KC prices. Especially considering the Vrango and Firefly are both cheaper than they were at the seconds sale last year. ;) And since we're just here to enable each others knife addiction, I think the PITS is only about ten bucks more from KC than it was at the sale.
-Nick :bug-red
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Bloke wrote:A Southfork is hurtling towards me as I type. :cool:

The M4 Military with the SquareHead is too good a deal to pass up, a Temp 2 is beckoning me and beloved wife gave up her job to look after her ill parents ... :eek:
Oh man, I came soooo close to ordering that Millie/Squarehead combo.

Hope you enjoy the Southfork. It's a good one.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

PayneTrain wrote:
I like the way you think, let me run it through my BS filter a few more times and I probably will. I mean I've only picked up a half dozen this month so far so whats one more right :D

I'm holding out I think though for the Hundred Pacer, hopefully the Vrango will be around for a bit it sure looks like a nice one, I really do want to grab a PITS too though :rolleyes:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Buy buy buy
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

I ordered some discontinued models from KC, waiting for them to arrive. Usually with the closeout sales i give up 2 orders, to spread the risk of a parcel getting lost in transit while travelling overseas. I just wanted to go ahead and give up the second order at KC but they are at least charging 110$ for shipping 1 knife overseas via FedEX! Last time i paid like 34$. Does anyone get this?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sharp Guy wrote:I have to keep restraining myself from ordering the fluted Ti Native 5.
Why would you do such thing??????? We are talking about Ti Fluted Native5. It is beautiful and super comfortable in the hand. :) :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I didn't buy anything yet. I have all what I wanted out of disco models
But usually I do. There are quite a few models, which I couldn't pull a trigger for variety of reasons, but when price came down I did and very happy about it. Some became my favorites like Persian, Dodo, ATR, Memory, Hungarian. It is time to buy.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

So I ordered a PITS, like an idiot, at MAP price, literally 2 days before the discontinued list came out. Still miffed about it! :(
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Brock O Lee wrote:So I ordered a PITS, like an idiot, at MAP price, literally 2 days before the discontinued list came out. Still miffed about it! :(
You could probably return and rebuy but you'll lose money shipping the return back.
~David
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Had to resist the lionspy and southard (not that steep of a discount, but still discounted at knifeworks, etc.) The blades are too thick, and that's why I'm justifying not getting them
Nate

Post by Nate »

I like to try to buy at least one from the disco'd list every year. Last year it was the Kiwi 4.

Many I would like to buy on the current list, but the new knife fund has been raided heavily this year, so I've only pulled the trigger on a Pingo.

Landed yesterday:

:spyder:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm struggling not to buy anything. I had a southfork and sold it because i got a PW custom but i don't want to miss out on getting a southfork and have to pay inflated prices later. The street beat is calling to me as well. It's hard to be strong when you know a model is going out. Looking at the szabohawk too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, the easiest way for me to justify it is, buy now and save some cash, and later if you find you just don't use it or love it you'll probably be able to make a profit since demand usually rises once something isn't available anymore. You should at least be able to get your money back in the future.
~David