Clip Preference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Clip Preference

I prefer the wire clip
64%
I don't care either way
16%
I prefer the hourglass clip
19%

Total votes: 67

Tdog

Re: Clip Preference

Post by Tdog »

Wire clip for me. :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

OkanSeven wrote:Wire clip 100%

If they did a PM2 with wire clip, id literally go insane from excitement
I had an original Paramilitary that I heavily modded. Gave it a much thinner edge, sanded off the pinky shelf on the handle so I could grip it behind the index choil similar to a PM2, and......gave it a tip up wire clip. You'd probably have liked it. ;)
:unicorn
OkanSeven

Post by OkanSeven »

Ohh sounds nice!!! Pics??
:spyder: CO1 Worker 2014 Sprint(x2)-Southard-Myrtle-PM2 S110v-Sage 5-Sliverax-Lum Tanto FB Sprint-Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189-Delica 4 G-10-Manix 2 FW-Endura 4-Tasman-Roadie-Delica 2 Stainless-Tenacious Turtle-Bug :spyder:

Dreaming for a Pacific Salt 2 FFG LC200n and a
Manix 2 XL back lock
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like the deep carry wire clip on the smaller, lighter knives. Caly 3, Chaparral, Dragonfly, Pits etc.

A wire clip on a Military or GB will look out of place.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I voted wire clip. I would greatly love a bayonet mount wire clip, if possible, for no holes/slots in the scale face.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

OkanSeven wrote:Ohh sounds nice!!! Pics??
I'll post some later tonight, I'll have to get on a different computer.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I didn't place a vote because for me it depends upon the size and style of the knife. I think each has its place.

Dave
FDE

Post by FDE »

Option "D".
I prefer deep carry hourglass style clips. Since Spyderco doesn't offer this as a factory option I'm force to look to aftermarket replacements. Casey Lynch short deep carry clips are excellent and what 90% of my carry knives sport. I just wish Spyderco would produce a factory option for us deep carry non-wire clip guys.
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

Wire clips got my vote. Less hot spots, no cheap paint to rub or flake off, and only one significantly larger screw that is much less likely to strip or break just make wire clips a better choice. That larger screw is something I think everyone else missed when looking at advantages that the wire clip has over the hour glass. I saw it mentioned on the Salt models though to be fair. I just wish with they made a deep carry wire clip that fit my Manix 2 properly.

If Spyderco would offer deep carry clips then I might be talked into the flat spring style clips but even then it would be a hard sell. I have a few Casey Lynch clips but they only work for me on a couple of my Spydies (they are made right but just don't feel "right" in my hand on some of my Spydies). They are the best option for deep carry that I've found yet.

The hourglass clip style is the only one I've had snap off. The wire clip on my Manix 2 got caught but was easily bent back to good as new, that was 2 years ago. If it was going to fail I think it would have by now.

If the hourglass clips were DLC coated I'd like them a lot better. Or just don't paint or polish them. I've seen what stripped clips look like, the matte gray actually looks better to me than the paint or polished versions by a lot. Why not leave them like that?
OkanSeven

Post by OkanSeven »

Vivi wrote:

Awesome!!!! Thanks
:spyder: CO1 Worker 2014 Sprint(x2)-Southard-Myrtle-PM2 S110v-Sage 5-Sliverax-Lum Tanto FB Sprint-Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189-Delica 4 G-10-Manix 2 FW-Endura 4-Tasman-Roadie-Delica 2 Stainless-Tenacious Turtle-Bug :spyder:

Manix 2 XL back lock
JimP

Post by JimP »

I voted wire clip but I replace all standard wire clips for the Dodo wire clip, except on the UKPK and Caly.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

mastiff wrote: I just wish with they made a deep carry wire clip that fit my Manix 2 properly.
Call SFO and ask them for a clip from the Foundry...

https://imgur.com/5zqhK4Z
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

abbazaba wrote:
mastiff wrote: I just wish with they made a deep carry wire clip that fit my Manix 2 properly.
Call SFO and ask them for a clip from the Foundry...

https://imgur.com/5zqhK4Z

Thanks for the pic and info!
vivi

Post by vivi »

OkanSeven wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Awesome!!!! Thanks

These photos are from before I modded the handle shape.

OkanSeven

Post by OkanSeven »

Vivi wrote:
OkanSeven wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Awesome!!!! Thanks

These photos are from before I modded the handle

Wow!! Really great work!! Thanks for sharing!

-Okan

Manix 2 XL back lock
olywa

Post by olywa »

Deep carry wire clips are far and away my favorite. I lean towards smaller and/or lighter when it comes to folders, and the wire clip excels for these models.
timlara

Post by timlara »

The two main reasons I prefer the wire clips are that they seem to be a little easier on the edge of the pocket (less surface area to create friction between the clip and the handle, I guess) and they are a little lower profile/rounded so they are less likely to scratch things and affect the grip feel in hand a little less.

The hourglass clips also work extremely well though, so the use of either one probably wouldn't affect whether I'd buy a knife or not. "All good, just different."
Tim
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Thanks everyone for the responses and insights.

It's interesting how many folks associate the hour glass clips with larger/heavier knives. I had the same impression for a long time but from what I can see in the actual lineup, there isn't really actual need for this. There are small/light knives with hourglass clips (Ambitious, Delica, Chicago, etc.) and then there are larger/heavier knives with wire clips (D'Allara, 100 Pacer, Spydie Chef, etc.). Maybe there is more to it and the design/shape of the knife factors in. I also understand that for some it is an aesthetic thing, I was just pondering on the actual strength of the clips.

Looking through the lineup though, it does appear that hourglass clips are more prolific. This too is interesting when compared to the poll results. I know, small sampling but interesting none the less.

:)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Ya I was surprised to see a landslide vote for the wire clip. I think it is brilliant and love the long/short, deep/normal options it lends. There are a lot of knives I would carry more if they had a wire clip.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:Ya I was surprised to see a landslide vote for the wire clip. I think it is brilliant and love the long/short, deep/normal options it lends. There are a lot of knives I would carry more if they had a wire clip.
Me too!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!