How did you discover Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
El Gato

Re: How did you discover Spyderco?

Post by El Gato »

High quality knives have been my #1 passion for over 55 years, starting in 1962 when I bought a TL-29 from the Quartermaster Sales Store, at Fort Bragg, NC. The mid-1990's found me at the Oregon Knife Show, where I met a nice guy by the name of Sal Glesser who had some interesting folding knives to show me. I didn't buy a knife that year and spent my money on an Edge Pro from Ben Dale instead, but as the years went by I bought a few Spyderco models and found them to be practical and well built with quality materials, which is what I always look for in the knives I buy for every day use and my enjoyment of primitive back country camping. Wasn't too long and I found the Spyderco knives to be the ones that I always seemed to have with me. Then I became a steel junkie, and soon after, an edge junkie. All because of that guy I met some 25 years ago and the high quality knives he created. It's been an interesting ride.

Dave
Last edited by El Gato on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Had a few random knives over the years and occasionally pick one up on a whim. Picked up a knife from REI a few years ago of a different make and was very disappointed. Started to search for what knife I should have purchased. Found a few other makes that are ok. Resisted those “weird” spydercos for a while. Oddly, my first was an endura, which I am not totally in love with. It was the sage that really got me hooked.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I've been a knife Knut since I was a little tacker but just didn't like the look of Spyderco knives though I've been a fan of Spyderco abrasives for a decade and a half or more.

Anyhow, a couple of years ago I wanted a SuperBlue folder and found a little Manbug here in Oz. Evidently I missed the Sprint run of SuperBlue knives and the little Manbug was the only SuperBlue still available new so I bought it for $AU106 I might add and my mates laughed at me ... the rest is history.

I only have 18 Spyders (I think) and a Southfork on the way. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I saw a Spyderco knife for the first time in Cliffhanger,and for me the true star was that spyderedge Endura.It was a WOW moment,and i imediatelly wanted that knife.I got it 10 years later,and i never bought other than Spyderco since.
Attachments
cliffhangerendura-1st-gen.jpg
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
amishviking

Post by amishviking »

I am a knife collector going all the way back to 7 years old. Back then it was quantity over quality. The first real knife that I remember really wanting was a SAK that I got for my birthday when I was 8 that I still have in almost new condition today, 28 years later. First good knife I bought with my own grass cutting money was an anniversary Buck 112 with nickel trim. I then became a Kershaw and Gerber guy through my teens and twenties. Carried a paraframe mini for years because if I lost it, I could replace it for $15 and didn't care how much I abused it.

Three years ago I was working a job with lots of travel, flights, and rental cars. In my normal "check for my stuff everywhere" in the rental car my fingers found something the rental company missed in cleaning the car; my first Spyderco. It was a full serrated Delica Clip-It. Loved the mid-backlock, one hand opening. I was just discovering Benchmade at the time and was just finally comfortable with the idea of sub $200 knives. I held out another year telling myself I wasn't going to become a Spyder-nut. Finally pulled the trigger on a blurple PM2. I love it but found I like other Spyderco platforms more.

Even though I'm still an equal opportunity brand collector, substantially more Spydercos have been coming in the mail than others lately. SB Endura is my primary daily carry. Just got my first zdp. Wife makes fun of me cause I have a specific "athletic shorts" knife, zome DF. The Endura is my primary collecting model but I've also got a thing for the Native. Just recently joined the forum after reading on it for years. Its nice to know I'm not alone in my addiction to the blade.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I looked under seat of my first car.

I was about to get my license in 2003, and I convinced my parents to let me get a 1987 Camaro, white, V6, and most importantly, with T-tops. I don't think it was more than 2 days after I got it that I was rummaging around, probably cleaning it, and under the driver's seat I found a really weird knife with a big ol hump, a fully serrated edge, and an all-stainless handle. Twas none other than a Delica 2, well worn and awfully inscribed with the previous owner's last name. If I found it today I'd probably return it, but 16 year old me sure as **** wasn't! And I never used another $3 SAK knock-off again.

Sadly, it has left me (possibly not forever, but that's another story). I drifted from the brand for a few years to play the field, see what else was out there, but like so many love songs, the one for me was right here all along. :)
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

1990. I was a young 21 year old U.S. Marine getting ready to deploy for Desert Shield. I wanted a big pocket knife to bring with me to war. I went to my local gun store and asked the counter guy for any "big" pocket knives. He said check out these new "spider knives". I said what??, and he handed me a brand new Endura. He stated that it is a brand new knife model that you can open one handed, and it clips to your pocket for quick access. It had a full spyder edge, and was saber ground with a black handle. I was immediately hooked by this badass knife, and bought it on the spot. I remember paying $60 bucks back then for it. I carried that Endura in my front right pocket every day during Desert Shield/Storm, and it never let me down. Years later I was looking for it at my parents house, but couldn't find it. I asked my dad if he had seen it, and he replied that he took it one day, and lost it on a motorcycle ride. Thanks dad. I have since replaced that original lost Endura with a new Endura 4, and it has quickly become one of my favorite knives.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I saw the Worker ads in magazines but thought it was more than I could afford. I then saw the ads for Endura/Delica in FRN and I took notice. The next Gun show I picked one up ( 1992 or thereabouts) and haven't been without one since. I still have my first Endura and it still works great. I never did get the Worker until they came out with one in a box. I can't remember which commemorative it was.

Joe
archangel

Post by archangel »

I kind of thought in the very beginning of my knife collector phase that the :spyder: trademark hole looked weird, and that they are basically too expensive. :eek: Owned a few Cold Steel and Böker knives, all rather of the budget line, before I came across a used Pacific Salt on the bay. Thought “let‘s give it a try“, mostly cause the price was so tempting. Well, and that‘s how my :spyder: obsession started. :rolleyes: Soon after I owned like 5 or 6 spydies, most of them much more costly than any of the other brands knives I owned. I had a bad attack of guilty conscience, suddenly spending so much money on another hobby. Back then I was still actively collecting flashlights. So I switched the flashlight collecting to idle mode (well, mostly... :D ), sold all my non-spydies, and defined that I‘d just collect one spydie of each model, and one of each premium steel type. Just so that I won‘t find it too easy to spend all my limited money in a heartbeat... :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I kept watching nutnfancy videos with him praising Spyderco. After a SOG knife I had broke I bought my first Delica. That was about 8 years ago. That’s all she wrote. I have other knife brands but when it comes to EDC folders if it doesn’t have a thumb hole it just doesn’t feel right.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wish I had found them sooner, but they weren't in stores in my town in the 80's. I first saw some Spydies in a mall store in the early 90's. They looked a bit odd, but were fascinating. I distinctly remember the quality, and wish I'd have bought that early model Delica. Sadly, I started my one hander journey with Benchmades.

One day, I decided to get a knife, but I didn't want a thumb stud that got in the way when cutting. I got a large Wegner model. Sal's blade hole and clip are the best inventions since sliced bread. Easiest and most secure opening method ever, and there's no stud in the way getting gummed up. I have a very hard time going back to studded knives now. The same goes for most two handers. I also don't think Spyderco knives look odd anymore. They are beautiful, functional, and most of them fit like a glove. Some even melt into my hand.

I discovered this forum whilst looking at Spyderco's website, and I now own way more Spydies than I'll ever need. I've always said that this forum sells knives. All the pics, links to vids, and reviews, etc. are great enablers. That can be good and bad. :o

I do believe this knife needs an honourable mention...

- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Vivi wrote:You two are bringing back memories of my Wal-Mart Native.

Interesting thing about that knife is I sanded down the handle to resemble the shape they used with the Native 4 and 5, more rounded behind the second finger groove.

I always wondered if someone at Spyderco happened to see the pictures of it I posted here and if that had any influence on the Natives we have today.

I'm going to have to find my pictures of that and my old 440V Military. Every thread is better with pictures :D

Here is that modded Walmart Native 1, years before the Native 4:

:unicorn
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Just for info to newer members.
"Walmart Native" is exactly the same as Native C41 with S30V, which was sold at any other place. It just was sold in Walmart for several years for $40. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Back than it was crazy deal for S30V blade. It was one of the hottest steels and any other S30V knife was $100+
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

This is a great thread.

I started carrying a knife daily when (12 years ago) at the office when I found myself always having to refill paper at the printer (a self service task, the printer always seemed to run out of paper when I needed it). The paper was in banded boxes, so I ended up getting a Kershaw Ken Onion Chive for simple cutting tasks, and that was my office EDC knife.

One Christmas my middle son (who was still home at the time) wanted a Spyderco Manix 2 translucent model in BD1 steel. I was not familiar with Spyderco then. When he got that knife I got a chance to handle it and I realized it was (and still is) an awesome knife.

I was immediately hooked. I wanted a replacement for the Chive. My first Spyderco was a Caly 3.5, which I like. My son kept telling me I should try a Delica. So I did, and I like those even better. And of course I had to get a Manix 2, so I did. Then I decided I wanted a bigger work knife for yard work - so I got an Endura. I saw my wife (to my horror) using a steak knife to open mail - so I got a Dragonfly that is near by to open letters and packages. It did not take long before I started getting other Spydies for this and that, and collecting different steels and different (including third party) scales. And so here I am.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

L.A. Boat Show in the mid 80's. Some guy had a display with the stainless handled Delica's and Endura's. I thought they were ugly and way too expensive. Man, I would have saved a lot of money if I would have kept thinking that way! Walked into a pawn shop while I was in college around 1995 and they had a Spyderco display with the most awesome folding knife I had ever seen, the Military! Needless to say I was too broke to buy one, but after graduation and getting a job I got one and still have it. It was my gateway drug. I have probably over 2 dozen Spyderco's now including those "ugly" Delica's and Endura's!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I was on a mission for better edge retention compared to my SAKs when I found the PM2 CTS-20CP sprint in 2011.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vivi

Post by vivi »

bh49 wrote:

Just for info to newer members.
"Walmart Native" is exactly the same as Native C41 with S30V, which was sold at any other place. It just was sold in Walmart for several years for $40. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Back than it was crazy deal for S30V blade. It was one of the hottest steels and any other S30V knife was $100+
Yup. It was basically like being able to walk into walmart today and grab an S110V Native for $50.
:unicorn
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Growing up playing with knives since I was about 7-8 in Europe, where US brands are quite a bit more expensive than in the US, I spend many hours looking at very cool and expensive blades at local shops in the 80's & 90's.
Finally got my first really fancy knife around 2000, a Spyderco Native.

When starting a trip around the world for a year in 2006 I figured that starting out with our first month in California should be a good excuse to buy a more affordable expensive knife for that trip in the US which became an oval holed Benchmade Griptilian.
After this trip I finally got a decent computer and more importantly internet at home which allowed for more research and also for ordering in the US. Back then not every shipment was taxed after being kidnapped by customs for long periods.
I got my 2nd & 3rd Spydie in '07, a foliage green Delica & Endura and my collection has been growing since. When going on a 7 month trip starting again in California in '09 I had a few shipments waiting for me with a friend when I got there and the PM with CPM D2 was my main edc for that trip and quite some time after.

When checking my collection for pics about a month ago I did a count and came to about 100 Spydies.. Guess I would've considered my current house paradise as a kid, must've done something right. :)
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

For me it was also from Hannibal the movie. That harpy looked so cool and unusual. I still need to get a Harpy one day.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

While we are on this topic, do you think that right this very moment, somewhere in the world, there are individual persons who are just now receiving their very first Spyderco knife, and who will receive their first Spyderco knife, and, in the future at some point will join this excellent forum and share their experience with us?