From which company does Spyderco get their Japanese steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: From which company does Spyderco get their Japanese steel?

Postby The Mastiff » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Speaking of 52100, I got the PM 2 today. Talk about extremely sharp. This came sharper than I usually sharpen my blades to with a guided system. This is the pinnacle of performance when it comes to buying a knife from anybody I've ever bought a knife from. Yes, it will carve up a hair. I can find no flaws anywhere on the knife or in it's operation. The Golden crew are earning their respect from me. It's worth more than the asking price IMO when compared to any knife on the market. I am not exaggerating one bit. Thank you Spyderco!

Joe

toomzz

Postby toomzz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:52 am

Cool, new japanese steels, bring 'em on!

N. Brian Huegel

Postby N. Brian Huegel » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:46 pm

It would be interesting to test V-Toku1 versus V-Toku2 to see if the 1% Tungsten difference is significant.

SpyderEdgeForever

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Brian, those appear to be carbon as opposed to stainless?

http://www.e-tokko.com/eng_vspe_1_2.htm

The Mastiff

Postby The Mastiff » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:08 am

Brian, those appear to be carbon as opposed to stainless?
They are non stainless alloys. They are similar to the different "blue paper" Aogami steels ( no.1, 2, and Aogami Super which we call "super blue"). These have nickel added so they are slightly different but should be excellent knife steels. Bill Burke makes some top of the line big $ knives for chefs with this steel. Very high edge stability, high sharpness stuff.

Tungsten not only increases wear resistance with the carbides but it changes the heat treating a bit. If you were a forging knife maker it would help make it more forgiving to stuff like over heating. That isn't an issue with the computer controlled space age ovens Spyderco calls on for the consistency we are used to though. In this case it's all about the grain structure and high performance these steels are capable of. These should be slightly less wear resistant with better high sharpness edge stability than Super Blue working on up to 3V and Cruwear and thereabouts. A bit higher wear resistance than 52100 with comparable stability.

This is of course a generalization. The steel can be tuned somewhat like all steels with the heat treat.

Joe

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”