Big-handed people, what's your favorite smallish knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bgoode315

Re: Big-handed people, what's your favorite smallish knife?

Post by bgoode315 »

I found the Alcyone to be a surprisingly good fit for my xl hands. Great little work knife. The neutral grip really helps. As Evil D mentioned, finger grooves never line up right w my fat fingers. I had to sand them off of my Delica and Endura.
amishviking

Post by amishviking »

4xl bear paws here. I LOVE the Native using the choil. Drangonfly is surprisingly awesome for as small as it is. I usually prefer standard size edc knives size and pocket-wise, but the Endura has started to win my pocket time. I skip over the Delica though in the Japanese lineup, Endura or Dragonfly. Native is really perfect when I'm not wanting a longer blade. Can't complain about the Urban and Pingo either but they don't get much pocket time.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

I have big hands, and I like the dragonfly, Cricket and Roadie.
the Roadie has been my go-to for a while now.

I am sure there is a lot of other knives, that i just haven't tried yet.
The Dodo feels great in my hands, but i never really liked the way it felt in my pocket (too "tall")
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kind of off topic a little here, but just yesterday while working I met a guy who I think must have had the biggest hands I've ever seen in person. If you guys all have big hands, you know how it feels to shake hands with average sized people, and it feels like you're shaking a child's hand? Well I felt like the child. I couldn't get my hand around this guy's hand...and that's a very unusual feeling to me. The guy wasn't even a really big dude, he just had some seriously big mitts.

In other news, if you guys have never heard of Jeff Dabe, this dude has problems like the rest of us have never dealt with (I know someone here on the forum is personal friends with this guy too).
https://youtu.be/FAXlkIkEvaU

Years ago someone here posted a video of Jeff holding a Manix 2 and it looked like how a typical guy looks holding a Dragonfly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wear XXL gloves and my favorite 3 inch bladed knife is the Delica. The Endura needs a bit of sanding, for some odd reason, to fit my hand but the Delica is pretty good. The Native is just so-so. It fits if I use the choil but is not comfortable. The Chaparral is a fine choice for me, and so is the Urban LW.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have largish hands and don't have many Spydies smaller than Sage-sized. I actually prefer knives in the Manix2/PM2/Stretch range, though my new Police4 is challenging that preference.

I do have both a Ladybug and a Manbug, one or the other usually in the bottom of my pocket as an option to my main knife. The Ladybug is an SE Hawkbill Salt and ideal for light garden work.

I also have a Squeek, an Air, and a Techno, all curiosities in the first place. Only the wedgy Techno has won my heart but I don't regard it as a small knife. It's actually a BIG short knife.

My DF2 would be a perfect small knife except for my hand size. In my hands, the best small Spydie is my slicy Chaparral. The thing is a perfectly-proportioned work-of-art.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

Doc Dan wrote:I wear XXL gloves and my favorite 3 inch bladed knife is the Delica. The Endura needs a bit of sanding, for some odd reason, to fit my hand but the Delica is pretty good. The Native is just so-so. It fits if I use the choil but is not comfortable. The Chaparral is a fine choice for me, and so is the Urban LW.
I'm surprised to hear the Chaparral is a "fine choice" but the Native is so-so. I wonder if you (or someone) could please elaborate?

I have XL hands. I've held the Native 5 LW, and I feel it's size is pretty good for me — great on the choil and good behind it. I'm interested in the Chaparral, but as it's shorter an thinner than the Native, I worry it might be too small for me.
Jim
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

XL Hands I like the Native 5 FRN & Delica Wharnie :D :spyder:
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jdw wrote:Urban, especially the K390 model if you can still find one. The grip and ergos are amazingly centered for a variety of hand sizes.
This! I’m a XXL glove a and the U K390 works great for me.

Ken
Strider

Post by Strider »

Currently caly 3. It was the native 5 until the caly arrived. It just doesn't feel right anymore.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Large hands here, Para3 would be my pick. Prefer and carry PM2/Endura most of the time.

David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

jimmd wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:I wear XXL gloves and my favorite 3 inch bladed knife is the Delica. The Endura needs a bit of sanding, for some odd reason, to fit my hand but the Delica is pretty good. The Native is just so-so. It fits if I use the choil but is not comfortable. The Chaparral is a fine choice for me, and so is the Urban LW.
I'm surprised to hear the Chaparral is a "fine choice" but the Native is so-so. I wonder if you (or someone) could please elaborate?

I have XL hands. I've held the Native 5 LW, and I feel it's size is pretty good for me — great on the choil and good behind it. I'm interested in the Chaparral, but as it's shorter an thinner than the Native, I worry it might be too small for me.
The Native is a larger knife and unless I use the choil it is too small for my hand. The Chaparral is a small knife, not much bigger than the Dragonfly, so the choil use is expected.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kbuzbee wrote:
jdw wrote:Urban, especially the K390 model if you can still find one. The grip and ergos are amazingly centered for a variety of hand sizes.
This! I’m a XXL glove a and the U K390 works great for me.

Ken
I love the ULW K390 also. It is my second most carried knife. It could be my most carried. I simply like that the Chaparral LW has a back lock, but other than that, I would chose the ULW K390. We had a discussion last year sometime when I asked Sal for this knife with a back lock. He said it would be a Caly 2.5 but I want to keep the 2.6 inch blade on this knife. It is about right.

Even though I have big hands, I am able to comfortably use this little knife. I was just eating an apple with mine.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

My favorite smallish knife is probably the Chaparral.

Dragonfly is the smallest knife I feel comfortable using regularly. It's not that it fills my hand or even makes for a lot of contact, it just feels secure and natural. It works better for me ergonomically than the Delica. XL - XXL here.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Chaparral 3 is my favorite smallish knife that gets carried.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I wear large gloves and my hands are average in my opinion. I have never had trouble gripping my Ladybug or Kiwi models, same as I don't have troubles with small SAK or slipjoint knives.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

In no particular order caly 3, delica and any sage
BigCanadian

Post by BigCanadian »

XL mitts and the Delica4 is my EDC. I liked it so much, I bought a second one. The D4's big brother, the Endura4, has a great blade, but the handle profile (I.e. finger "grooves") needs more thought put into it, as it fails in comparison to the D4.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Have a couple of Delica handle knives, but not a fan. Just too small for the ergos.

I do like the G10 Worker.

Ladybug is handy too, but that's kind of a different thing.
BigCanadian

Post by BigCanadian »

XL mitts and the Delica4 is my EDC. I liked it so much, I bought a second one. The D4's big brother, the Endura4, has a great blade, but the handle profile (I.e. finger "grooves") needs more thought put into it, as it fails in comparison to the D4.