Big-handed people, what's your favorite smallish knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bgoode315

Big-handed people, what's your favorite smallish knife?

Post by bgoode315 »

If you wear a large or extra large glove, what do you go for in a three inch or smaller knife?
The Mastiff

Re: Big-handed people, what's your favorite smallish knife?

Post by The Mastiff »

XXL hands but normal XL fingers. Delica or smaller gets too small for my clumsy hands. I have a Chaparral and like it but I do better sticking to a Delica , better yet my Endura.

Joe
jdw

Post by jdw »

Urban, especially the K390 model if you can still find one. The grip and ergos are amazingly centered for a variety of hand sizes. I had to buy my wife one because she kept "borrowing" mine for a pairing knife.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
vivi

Post by vivi »

I wear XXL. Anything around the size of a Delica or smaller tends to not work for me. Every single Spyderco I own is 4" or larger closed, except for one.

The Spin.

I rarely use knives smaller than my Tasman Salt (Delica sized). I carry a Leatherman Micra but I never use the blade, same with my small swiss army knives. But I'll carry the Spin clipless once in a while, and often open my mail with it. The deep finger grooves let me get a secure grip despite its tiny size. With the clip removed it's very flat and hard to notice in the pocket. The blade shape is ideal for a small knife IMO, with a really short blade that has lots of belly things slip off easily.

I don't carry it much these days because it's more convenient to use the Police/Millie/Pacific Salt clipped to my pocket / waistband. When I worked in an office environment with mostly middle aged women I'd carry it, because using a Police 3 to open an envelope in that setting feels a little over the top :rolleyes:

Back when I carried small knives, the Caly 3 / Caly jr / UKPK family of knives were my go to. I'd carry a Military for hard cutting tasks, and let the Caly handle most day to day stuff.
Last edited by vivi on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
timlara

Post by timlara »

My hands are only just slightly larger than average, but for me the Dragonfly is just a little bit too small, so I prefer the Urban as the ergos are similar, but just slightly "beefier" than the DF. If the K390 Urban sprint isn't sold out yet, that would be my pick for a high-end small knife.

Chaparral, Cat, and Byrd Crow 2 are all pretty comfortable as well imo.
Tim
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

XL-XXL over here. Depends what I'm doing I guess...

Dragonfly2 is the smallest knife that I can use hard comfortably. What a great design. Everyone should try one IHMO.
Native5 fits my hand like it was molded for it. Pure utility and power in a lightweight package.
Chaparral is one of my favorite carries. Classy and slices like ****. Super practical knife.
Techno works surprisingly well. Meaty three finger grip.
Love all the Sages.
Caly3 is nice.

Delica never quite fit my hand right, but we've come to an understanding and I like it. Carry it quite often.
Manbug is just a little to difficult for me to use, so I never carry it even though I own three and appreciate them.
My hand hated the Positron ergos.
Robboursaw

Post by Robboursaw »

I really like my Native 5 g10. Fits great.
Its my very first Spyderco also.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Big hands here. Delica isn't comfortable, Urban is really nice, would love one with a lock.

Most comfortable is Southard, then PM2. PM3 is a little small for me.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bgoode315

Post by bgoode315 »

For those of you who like the native 5, do you have to use the choil? Or an you get a really comfy grip without it as well?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

bgoode315 wrote:For those of you who like the native 5, do you have to use the choil? Or an you get a really comfy grip without it as well?
The design makes you want to use the choil, it feels very natural. However I can hold it behind the choil comfortably when sawing or stabbing.
bgoode315

Post by bgoode315 »

Ive always been really drawn to the Dragonfly design, but I never dreamed it would work for my big paws. I'm excited to try it now. And the Native 5. Thanks for the input guys.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

My hands aren't wide, but they are long. I like the Delica and Dfly and never feel like I can't get a grip.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I prefer larger knives but I carry a lw Urban, Dragonfly and Lil' Nilakka quite a lot recently. I also carry the G10 Native sometimes but it can be a bit heavy.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I love my Titanium Chaparral and it goes along every day with me just because I like the design and the way it cuts so efficiently with its thin blade, but it is the only small sub-3" blade knife I will tolerate. My Manix 2 fits my hand "okay", but it is really about as small as I want to go for a working knife. I end up carrying one of my Mules most days because they just go anywhere I go.

Dave
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

For a small knife I like the Meerkat. The chunky handle goes a long way in big hands.

For a mid sized folder like the Native I'm a fan of ... the Native FRN :). Haven't gotten a 5 yet but probably should.
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

Native 5 without question. I prefer the LW models. It's the only 3" or smaller knife I carry. Had a Delica, gave it to my Dad. He loves it and he has bear paws too. Can't go wrong with either but I'm a choil type of guy. The N5 feels like it was made for me.

I can get a good grip on the N5 not using the choil but the choil is where it's at.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I like the G10 Worker for a small knife.

Best you try before you buy though. Ergos are pretty personal.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

XL here and most of my small knife usage is with a C22 Walker, Techno and Copilot.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The smallest I've tried are the Ladybug and Dragonfly. I guess you could include the Kiwi/Kiwi 4 in there too. I pretty much loathe forced grip finger grooves on most knifes because they never fit the width of my fingers (Delica, Endura, etc).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Native/Dragonfly/UKPK all with choil, only just got the Alcyone which is also quite nice but haven't really carried it yet.
(I have quite big hands but more 'tall' than 'buff' big)