Bradley Air Sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
T_MAC686

Bradley Air Sprint?

Post by T_MAC686 »

I have really fallen in love with this knife and think it would be cool if they would re-release it as a sprint. If it had a steel like CTS-XHP and G10 or FRN handles it could bring the cost down to a more user friendly price. Anyone think this would gain traction or would it be a bust? Other suggestions for steel choice or handle materials that you would like to see?
Holland

Re: Bradley Air Sprint?

Post by Holland »

I would buy the air in an configuration if spyderco makes the detent better or adds a pocket clip.

On paper, the air should be one of my favourite knives, but the weak detent made it a huge disappointment for me
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Air is one that was on my buy list but I never pulled the trigger for some reason. I love the idea of having a small Wharncliffe. So I would definitely be up for a sprint but I don't think there's much of a chance of seeing one. If they do make one I probably wouldn't have FRN scales since the molds cost so much to make. I'd be fine with G10 or Micarta though.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Air is very nice gentlemans folder. Great blade shape, thin edge, slice like no other,the glass fiber patern looks classy and it it sooo light. I've had it few years back, but sold it. I dont like the combination of thin titanium liners and tool steel blade. If it have some stainless steel blade, I'm in.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I regret letting go of mine. My preference for smaller blades nowadays makes it even more attractive now.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Great design. Wish it came with a wire clip.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I loved the design and thought it was one of the best looking knives I'd seen. I did not buy one because each one of the several knives I looked at had almost non-existent detents. I sure don't want one coming open in my pocket! If they would fix that problem I would love to have one made just like the original. That silver twill was gorgeous.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

It sounds like if this knife had a few changes (G10/micarta scales, stainless steel, wire pocket clip, stronger detent) it would be a good seller! I could get on board with a knife like that!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like the AIR in the current iteration, but always wish it had a small dragonfly wire clip. The M4 was a big selling point for me though so i would have to see a gen 2 before I could make up my mind about another.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

My example does not have a weak detent. It is one of my favorite knives. SharpGuy had a great suggestion regarding the Micarta. Let me know if you guys cant see the pics..
ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

The blade shape is great for detailed work. I regularly use it for deburring parts during the QC process..

I would love to see this one make a return.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I really like the air. I'd be interested in seeing how it would work with a wire clip, but I'm not sold on the idea. I'd want to see how it was implemented.

For the steel, the only change I could see would be something like Maxamet. M4 is great for this knife, though.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Many times I've come so close to pulling the trigger on the Air, but really need stainless steel for such a folder.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Love my Air. Feeling lucky that mine has a decent detent.
A clip would be welcome. Wire clip is my favorite but may not fit well on this. Perhaps a clip like on the PPT (so minimal change with or without the clip)?
Micarta would be awesome as well. Or at least polished g10.
As far as steel - I think the size and shape of the blade really favors excellent and stable edge holding. If not m4, perhaps cruwear? Realistically coming out of Taichung, perhaps cts-204p is available since they will no longer be making the Southard? XHP would be possible as well.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

What difference would there be in cost if this was made in XHP vs the original M4?
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I was always interested in this one, but the talk of weak detent and no clip kept me from pulling the trigger. I would probably have to get one if there was a sprint. I'd like to see a simple pocket clip though, then this would be perfect.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Holland wrote:I would buy the air in an configuration if spyderco makes the detent better or adds a pocket clip.

On paper, the air should be one of my favourite knives, but the weak detent made it a huge disappointment for me

I was thinking the exact same thing... and apparently, so were many others. :)

My Air is just collecting dust recently. Been carrying my Jess Horn a lot for this size range.
Going back to Caly.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Have one that's in the safe, never used. Love the shape of it, but don't want high-maintenance steel on a daily edc.

Its detent isn't great, so I agree there.

Everybody wanted a clip last time, not me.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I always think if they put a wire clip on it they could appeal to both parties because people who want a clip would have it and people who don't would be able to take it off..
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Silver twill needs to come back. Many moons ago, I bought the Benchmade 705-401 just for silver twill (in my more fickle days)
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

I've had an Air in my pocket ever since it was released and have never been afraid of it opening by accident. The detent is perfectly fine. On my first one the liner did wear out to a point where it caused some blade play, but I probably opened and closed that one hundreds times a day.
Been carrying my current one for years and it's still going strong. Got some nice coffeebag micarta scales on it. And I have two backups so I'm good for the next few years. Would still buy a sprint run though.