MT27P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Micro-Melt® PD#1

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
mikey177

Re: MT27P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Micro-Melt® PD#1

Post by mikey177 »

I use my PD1 Mule for trimming plants and chopping the occasional branch in the yard. I haven't experienced any rolling or chipping of the edge. It's also fairly stain resistant, moreso than my GB2 in M4. Sadly, I don't have anything in Cruwear to compare the Mule with.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mikey, what are those scales made from? I really like the look of them.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:06 am
Mikey, what are those scales made from? I really like the look of them.
Thanks! They are micarta scales made by a local shop in my country.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Just ordered some scales for my PD#1
F10FE0E8-0134-4087-A057-CF1A996898B5.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hey standy99,

How did you come up with the glowing scales? Where can I find them? I'm a big fan of hunter orange G-10 as I like the visibility in the field. How long do they hold a glow for? Is that a silly question?

Thanks
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I was wondering if I could mill slots in the back of a natural g-10 scale and insert tritium, to give it permanent glow for locating in the dark.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Mule came in today, but the scales don't come in from Halpern until Friday.

This is my first fixed-blade Spyderco, and first Taichung Spyderco. I actually thought all of the Mules were Golden-made, but seeing Taichung etched on the blade was a rather nice surprise. I'm sure the Mules aren't what people are talking about when they say that Taichung QC is next-level, but I will say it's probably the sharpest Spydie I've used out of the box: cut through double-layers of cardboard like butter.

I somehow thought the handle would be bigger. It's actually smaller than my Stretch & PM2. I'll have to wait until I get a chance to use it more, but it does feel a bit cramped.

I gave it a quick paracord wrap for now, and in doing so realized that I hate paracord-wrapped handles, haha. Can't wait for the Halpern scales.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:58 am
Hey standy99,

How did you come up with the glowing scales? Where can I find them? I'm a big fan of hunter orange G-10 as I like the visibility in the field. How long do they hold a glow for? Is that a silly question?

Thanks
Custom order from

https://cuscadi.de/

Be careful looking at this site, a lot of nice scales

€80 shipped
Hold a glow for a long time :cool:
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Thanks
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:28 pm
Thanks
They do Orange as well
CEEB0BD7-A376-4C84-AF4C-8865C7AB9089.jpeg
6E36EEE1-87DD-49CC-B485-2CD35289AA50.jpeg
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I got the Mule on Monday, with scales expected Friday. So I tried my hand at wrapping it with paracord.

Needless to say, I don't think I'll be trying this again. To my pleasant surprise, I got a notification that the Scales had been delivered just before lunch today, and I was able to install + snap a few pics.

I was again surprised when I realized the scales were not just any OD G-10, but my favorite Ranger Green, which was identified on the packing slip as discontinued.

It fits in quite well with the family. Cut up quite a bit of cardboards today after getting home from work, and this is definitely the best carboard slicer in the lineup now. I still miss the choil a bit, but overall I'm very happy.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:39 pm
Well, I got the Mule on Monday, with scales expected Friday. So I tried my hand at wrapping it with paracord.

Needless to say, I don't think I'll be trying this again. To my pleasant surprise, I got a notification that the Scales had been delivered just before lunch today, and I was able to install + snap a few pics.

I was again surprised when I realized the scales were not just any OD G-10, but my favorite Ranger Green, which was identified on the packing slip as discontinued.

It fits in quite well with the family. Cut up quite a bit of cardboards today after getting home from work, and this is definitely the best carboard slicer in the lineup now. I still miss the choil a bit, but overall I'm very happy.
Make sure you take the scales off regularly to check for corrosion. Those scales seem to trap the moisture in. Thin bit of felt with food grade Inox sprayed on sparingly between metal and scale helps.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:24 pm
Make sure you take the scales off regularly to check for corrosion. Those scales seem to trap the moisture in. Thin bit of felt with food grade Inox sprayed on sparingly between metal and scale helps.

You mentioned the felt and Inox in the "show your mule" thread, and I didn't catch on to what you said about leaving the oiled felt in-between the scale and tang (My light-bulb doesn't always burn so bright :p )

I'm still rather new to knives and had only heard of storing non-stainless steels in oiled felt or cloth, but not during use in that way. Would you mind elaborating your process a little? Is a gap visible or will the scale bolts compress the felt enough to not show or just really thin felt?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can also cut a piece of tuff-cloth (the Tuf-glide cloth applicator) and put it in there. It's thin enough that it really doesn't show. If the tiny gap is too much, you can also trim sections to fit inside the 'skeleton' of the mule, so there is no gap at all, but I'd guess that will reduce the effectiveness.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Since I have a PD#1 mule in front of me now I'll try and see if a Kimwipe will stand out or not, they are quite thin :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

You know I thought about that as I was installing the scales. I'm not sure how corrosion-resistant Cruwear/PD1 is; I haven't had any problems with my K390 knives after almost a year in rotation, but then they have an air-gap between blade and scales even when closed.

One of the screws I received was bit janky, I had to clean up the thread with a pair of needlnose pliers to get it to thread correctly into the sleeve/post. I also used 243 Loctite on the screws. :o Needless to say, not looking forward to removing these scales.

I'll probably order some tuff-cloth, I think I like that idea the best.

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I know these wipes are not very durable but after patting them down on the oil I already had on the knife, I see how this would be pretty useful. With something more durable than these wipes of course :o

Not really noticeable after trimming and if saturated might be helpful. Hadn't heard of Tuf-glide stuff but it sound pretty interesting. Idle hands and a little boredom :o but I have used this mule for a few days in the humidity and needed to peek under the scales anyway. Whittling while me and missed LEG take evening walks have had the micarta soaked with sweat...walking and whittling keeps me from walking too fast away from her shorter legs :p
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
standy99

Post by standy99 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:07 am
standy99 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:24 pm

You mentioned the felt and Inox in the "show your mule" thread, and I didn't catch on to what you said about leaving the oiled felt in-between the scale and tang (My light-bulb doesn't always burn so bright :p )

I'm still rather new to knives and had only heard of storing non-stainless steels in oiled felt or cloth, but not during use in that way. Would you mind elaborating your process a little? Is a gap visible or will the scale bolts compress the felt enough to not show or just really thin felt?
Any thin material works, cheesecloth, old cotton T-shirt.(old school hankies or bandannas work a treat) I use thin felt bought from a craft store and cut it a millimeter less than the scale. Found the felt keeps the oil/Inox in a lot better as I live tropical Northern Australia. Not had visibility issues ;)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Really surprised these are still in stock, especially with all the cru-carta love going on! Once the SPY27 start to ship I think I'll grab another PD#1 if they are still there.

Now that we'll be getting a SRS-13 MT this year to go along with the SPY27 I'll be broke but smiling :)
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Thanks for posting pics of the HT 3d OD. After seeing yours, I ordered a couple for myself.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!