Discontinued For 2018 - OFFICIAL List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PaleMoon

Re: Discontinued For 2018 - OFFICIAL List

Post by PaleMoon »

captnvegtble wrote:I've been eyeing both the Temp 2 and SouthFork for a while... not sure I have the funds for both... which should I get?!?
Been thinking the exact same thing... not an easy decision!
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Last call for alcohol :)

Had to pick up a Ti fluted N5. On discount too
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

FCM415 wrote:Last call for alcohol :)

Muuuust.....re....sisssst.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

GarageBoy wrote:Lil lionspy at $160 is a steal... Really wish it wasn't so thick and overbuilt
Almost bought one today. Looked at some YouTube reviews that dissuaded me from doing so.

Oh, well.

Waiting for the Rhino.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

PaleMoon wrote:
captnvegtble wrote:I've been eyeing both the Temp 2 and SouthFork for a while... not sure I have the funds for both... which should I get?!?
Been thinking the exact same thing... not an easy decision!
I ended up buying the Southfork... seems like the model that will likely sell out faster, but I can't rule out the Temp 2 in my future.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Sad to see the Southards go...

I still believe that Southard is the nicest Spyderco flipper so far, I was looking forward for the Advocate but after the pivot issues that Spyderco still didn't solve I decided to wait, sending it over the ocean for warranty is not a pleasant option

I don't have many flippers, I've bought the Southard back in 2013 and now I have to think about getting a second one...

Other flippers will come, but this will remain the first one

As an epitaph, the best Southard review from 2013 from the now also-dead best knife reviews channel

https://youtu.be/JqUN3ruBIow

Mike Draper - I managed to find one in Europe at a better price (better price for bloody Europe...), it's nice

The titanium Millies I presume they are replaced by CQI models

Nirvana, first integral, took years of waiting and it's gone in one, didn't expect that, quite a flop

On the other hand there will not be many available and in 50 years I'll sell it and buy a castle in France :D

Southfork, nice piece and I was looking for one for some time, in the end I didn't need such a large expensive fixed blade (as do I really need all those expensive folders :D ), they are working now on Bow River and they chose o make it cheaper for obvious reasons, might try that one
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Gsg9 wrote:Southfork, nice piece and I was looking for one for some time, in the end I didn't need such a large expensive fixed blade (as do I really need all those expensive folders
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I really didn't like my Southard, but I'll probably pick up a couple more Southforks (I have 2 now) at close out pricing.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Caved on an orange Pingo, hopefully that will hold me lol.
:spyder:
nurunuru

Post by nurunuru »

OK... I was worried about seeing all the Tasmans on the list until I realised that was just the old models with the dimpled scales. We're fine here!

Shame about the Introvert and Szabohawk on the list. Ahh well.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Nate wrote:Caved on an orange Pingo, hopefully that will hold me lol.
KC has them for $35, hard price to resist
Nate

Post by Nate »

^^exactly, resistance was futile. :)
:spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I picked up a Temp2 and if I can get the funds together there will be another Southfork headed my way.

Also, if the Myrtle lingers around long enough one of them will maybe end up in my pile of knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Holland

Post by Holland »

I'm surprised to see the southfork in the list
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I'm sad to see the end of the Firefly, Nirvana, and Lil' Lionspy.
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I've always wanted a Tasman Salt to replace my Byrd Hawkbill and I was able to finally get one from Blade HQ for $50. Too good of a deal to pass up right there.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ShaneInDenver wrote:I've always wanted a Tasman Salt to replace my Byrd Hawkbill and I was able to finally get one from Blade HQ for $50. Too good of a deal to pass up right there.
thanks, that's even cheaper than the one I bought on sale elsewhere. Couldn't pass up that price either :)
:unicorn
gement

Post by gement »

First time poster question:

I've looked at everything I can find on the Snap-It Salt (and the Snap-It in general) and haven't seen anyone mention/demonstrate whether it can be opened while it is snapped to a lanyard. This seems like a pretty basic concern.

My use case is picking a backpacking knife to keep on an always-on-me lanyard. I don't need it for more than food prep or emergency tinder shaving, but I want to have it on me if I lose my pack in a river. Unsnapping it every time I want to have lunch or if my hands are shaking with cold sounds like the opposite of useful.

I was not planning on making this purchase for a while yet, but since Snap-It Salt is on the discontinued list, that's moving up my research timeline. Owners, can you open and use this knife while it's clipped to, say, a length of paracord?

(Edit: Fallback choices are Ladybug Salt or a second-hand Delica; the latter will be cheaper but heavier and more prone to rust since the second-hand generally aren't Lightweight 4s.)
Last edited by gement on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

FCM415 wrote:Last call for alcohol :)

Good call. That is probably my favorite knife on the list this year.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

gement wrote:First time poster question:

I've looked at everything I can find on the Snap-It Salt (and the Snap-It in general) and haven't seen anyone mention/demonstrate whether it can be opened while it is snapped to a lanyard. This seems like a pretty basic concern.

My use case is picking a backpacking knife to keep on an always-on-me lanyard. I don't need it for more than food prep or emergency tinder shaving, but I want to have it on me if I lose my pack in a river. Unsnapping it every time I want to have lunch or if my hands are shaking with cold sounds like the opposite of useful.

I was not planning on making this purchase for a while yet, but since Snap-It Salt is on the discontinued list, that's moving up my research timeline. Owners, can you open and use this knife while it's clipped to, say, a length of paracord?

(Edit: Fallback choices are Ladybug Salt or a second-hand Delica; the latter will be cheaper but heavier and more prone to rust since the second-hand generally aren't Lightweight 4s.)
yes you can but if you don't want to unsnap it from the cord every time you use it why not use the lanyard hole?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

gement wrote:First time poster question:

Welcome to the forum!

With the clip near the blade I would think you would want to unclip it while using it. I am not sure why you think it would be so inconvenient? It only takes a second. If you have a lanyard or something on the clip it will just be in the way of whatever you are doing. That would bother me.

I personally would find a Ladybug too small for even basic backpacking chores. It is a very small knife. It can open freeze dried food packages and stuff like that but I would hate to make tinder with it. My favorite backpacking folder is a safety orange vg10 delica. It is lightweight and bright colored. I wouldn't worry about a standard Delica rusting unless you are extremely neglectful and abusive to it. I keep it in my pocket. In the rare chance that I loose my pack for some reason I feel pretty confident that I will not lose my pants. I have been stomping around in the woods for decades and I haven't lost my pants yet. ;)

You can always just use an s-biner on a small split ring with any number of knives. I have carried a Ladybug that way many times. I clip one of these two on my coat's zipper pull while fishing fairly often. Are you thinking neck carry? These clips work well that way too.

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?