Hungarian lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hun

Hungarian lightweight

Post by hun »

Hi folks,
although the Hungarian finished its career at Spyderco I designed an edc version. It has a modified blade, handle cutout for easier lock operation, a double side wire clip and G10 scales. This blade shape is closer to the authentic one.
Hungarian lightweight.jpg
Mushroom

Re: Hungarian lightweight

Post by Mushroom »

Nice work, appears to have come out great! In my opinion, the Hungarian model, as is, is a big sleeper! It has fantastic ergonomics, but it just seems to lean towards the gentleman's folder more so than an EDC model. This is exactly what the Hungarian needed to shine as work knife!

Again, great work and nicely done!
-Nick :bug-red
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Very nice blade, but a handle is not my cup of tea.
BTW, I am carrying my Hungarian today. I like this knife a lot.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mushroom wrote:In my opinion, the Hungarian model, as is, is a big sleeper! It has fantastic ergonomics, but it just seems to lean towards the gentleman's folder more so than an EDC model.
Why gentleman's folder cannot be EDC?
There are quite a few of them just great for every day carry: CF Calys, Memory, Centofante3 & 4, original Persians, Fluted Natives and so on. Sorry, forgot Hungarian :) . It carries well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

YES!!! Would love to see this in production especially in XHP. Love the wider blade and the wire clip should be standard. Very cool.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Nice work...

The Spyderco rendition of the Hungarian is one of my favorites.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
SG89

Post by SG89 »

that's really cool
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Nice job, congrats!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bh49 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:In my opinion, the Hungarian model, as is, is a big sleeper! It has fantastic ergonomics, but it just seems to lean towards the gentleman's folder more so than an EDC model.
Why gentleman's folder cannot be EDC?
There are quite a few of them just great for every day carry: CF Calys, Memory, Centofante3 & 4, original Persians, Fluted Natives and so on. Sorry, forgot Hungarian :) . It carries well.
My bad, might just be me oddly categorizing knives. I didn't mean that it can't be an EDC option, because, quite frankly, it can be and a great one at that I agree. I guess what I meant was that with mirror polished bolsters and slick black g10 scales, it seems more likely that you would try to keep those looking pristine for when you need to slip the knife into a suit pocket. To each his own though. ;)

A "gentleman's folders" can absolutely be a great EDC option. In fact, my first Spyderco was a CF Chaparral. I "EDC'd" that knife for months and loved it. Until I got myself a "Cat" to feel less guilty about using my nice carbon fiber knife for harder use things like cutting zip ties or plastic strapping at work. Now though, I consider the Chaparral a "gentleman's folder" and mostly carry it during formal events or occasions. Partly because of materials and partly because of the design itself.
-Nick :bug-red
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Nice design! Looks good.
(like the clip as well)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I still need to grab a Hungarian to complete my ethnic collection, a LW would be pretty cool too, that one looks great.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Clicked on the thread expecting to see discussion of an FRN version, which I don't think has never happened for an Ethnic series knife before.

But surprised to see the photos in slab G10! That looks really amazing to me! Great work! Looks like some Mr. Schempp inspiration to me.
Going back to Caly.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

farnorthdan wrote:I still need to grab a Hungarian to complete my ethnic collection,
:confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek:
It looks like you missed the boat when they were cheap. Unacceptable.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Nagyon jo!

(My american keyboard seems to be missing the correct accents for that)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

bh49 wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I still need to grab a Hungarian to complete my ethnic collection,
:confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek:
It looks like you missed the boat when they were cheap. Unacceptable.
:( :( I know...definitely slacked on that one.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think LW version looks great and I would be far more inclined to use it versus the bolstered version. I avoided the original despite loving the look as I knew I would use and carry something else over it almost every time. I have way more than I need and skipping it was part of my scaling back process.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
hun

Post by hun »

TomAiello wrote:Nagyon jo!

(My american keyboard seems to be missing the correct accents for that)
Köszönöm!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Haven't gotten round to getting a Spyderco Hungarian yet, but i do have a "real" Hungarian :)

Last edited by Larry_Mott on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JenWrath

Post by JenWrath »

I don't like how the blade isn't angled down like the original is - that's something I've come to love from many of Spyderco's designs.

Otherwise, pretty **** nice! I wouldn't mind carrying that for work in the yard ;)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

JenWrath wrote:I don't like how the blade isn't angled down like the original is - that's something I've come to love from many of Spyderco's designs.

Otherwise, pretty **** nice! I wouldn't mind carrying that for work in the yard ;)
Not sure but it looks like the edge is still angled down but that the point moved toward with spine with the increased blade width.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.