Hungarian lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toucan

Re: Hungarian lightweight

Post by Toucan »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:31 pm
I do not have any inside information and I really should not have spoke as confidently as I did. :zipper

I don't mean to sound like I'm opposed to a steel upgrade on the Astute, I just have a hard time seeing it happen. I like the design though, I keep one in my car for those times that I happen to leave the house without a Spydie, so 8Cr13MoV serves me well in that role but I would still welcome another steel on it.
I could defs imagine an S35VN variant in the same way the Tenacious family lineup got the deluxe treatment. I don't know if it's the same maker/factory, but at least some of the Chinese makers Spyderco works with have done S35VN. If there were to be another Chinese deluxe budget knife in the works, the Astute makes sense to me. At least compared to the Efficient/Emphasist/Insistent lineup -- which doesn't seem to be as beloved.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Toucan wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 pm

I had no idea this knife was so close in size to the Astute. I wasn't really in the market for fancier knives back when the Hungarian was being sold, but dang if that isn't enticing now. It really would be sweet in a 3D/Radiused/whatever-the-call-it FRN scales. Similar to what I hear the Shaman lightweight will be like.
Just fyi, I think I've unintentionally made them look closer in size with this pic by taking it at an angle with the Astute in the foreground.

Per the specs on Spyderco's site the Astute is 3.02" blade/6.90" overall while the Hungarian is 3.63" blade/8.46" overall. I'm not sure that pic captures a greater than half-inch difference in blade length accurately, hah. I'll see if I can take a top-down one with a scale that will be much more poorly lit but hopefully a more accurate comparison.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Skywalker wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:18 am
I'll see if I can take a top-down one with a scale that will be much more poorly lit but hopefully a more accurate comparison.
This is still a little off but better; it's at least top-down level per my phone's sensor.

The interesting thing to me here is that the Astute has about as much cutting edge as the Hungarian (Hungarian probably wins for more belly); most of the Hungarian's greater blade length is in the flat before the plunge while the Astute's edge starts nearly at the handle.

thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Skywalker wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:16 am
Skywalker wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:18 am
I'll see if I can take a top-down one with a scale that will be much more poorly lit but hopefully a more accurate comparison.
This is still a little off but better; it's at least top-down level per my phone's sensor.

The interesting thing to me here is that the Astute has about as much cutting edge as the Hungarian (Hungarian probably wins for more belly); most of the Hungarian's greater blade length is in the flat before the plunge while the Astute's edge starts nearly at the handle.

@Skywalker What MXG clip is on your astute?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:41 pm
@Skywalker What MXG clip is on your astute?
It's one of the Benchmade pattern ones; my email receipt doesn't list the specific but I think it's #202051

If you have any standard BM-pattern clips I'd check yourself before ordering... other folks have said the Astute will take a Spyderco-pattern deep carry clip but when I checked the outer two holes matched up with a BM 707 clip but not a Spyderco standard hourglass.

Another reason for an upgraded Astute... SPY-27 blade steel and standard Spyderco pattern clip when? :grin-sweat :winking-tongue
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Anyone seeing the Polestar and Alcyone update to BD1N/Gray G10 thinking what I'm thinking :beaming-face :preying ?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.