It's Happened...The Delica Has Been De-throned

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonijedi

Re: It's Happened...The Delica Has Been De-throned

Post by tonijedi »

Evil D wrote:
tonijedi wrote:Another Delica fan here. Delica wins the hearts of lots of people without getting into comparisons or technical details because of two things: one is options, loads of options, the other is good ergonomics. Sure it won't fit everybody's hand like a glove, but it fits most people's.
The Salt 2 might dethrone the Delica once I get one into my hands, mostly because of the broad tip (that many dislike).
If they'd just do away with those finger grooves I'd be on board. Heck even Glock has finally got the message that grooves mean your product won't fit everyone.
I understand, I also like to decide where to put my fingers on a handle and not the opposite, but the Delica seems to work great for me, in every handling position.
Spyderco's catalog is entertainingly vast, so I don't worry with these questions of the "best" spyderco at all.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My S110V Manix lightweight is my first (and so far only) wire clipped folder. I really like how it feels in hand and how easily it slips into my pocket. I wonder how well it’d work on a heavier knife like the PM2.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Delica fan here.

The closest Spyderco knife to dethrone my Delica is my Manix 2 LW in CTS-XHP. Kinda bigger than I need at work Mon-Fri so it sees more weekend carry.

Currently the closest challenger for my Delica is the new Benchmade Bugout. If it had G10 scales like my BM 531 and a steel other than S30V it would be a strong contest.

Ergonomics on the Delica 4 are probably my favorite since the original. Purely subjective, but it fits my L to XL glove size hand just right. Steel is nothing fancy, but it works great for my needs and is easy to resharpen on my Spyderco ceramic benchstone. Inexpensive price means I'm not afraid to use it hard and worry about damaging or ruining re-sell value. I've used a Delica as a EMT, Army Medic, and Med Tech and never had any problems to speak of. My fully serrated ZDP-189 Delica developed some minor chips cutting heavy duty plastic ties by torquing it like I use to do with my VG10 serrated Rescue. Stopped using it to cut like that and no issues. Even used it to saw through some drying cast material. Other than that it is still going strong & rides in my car console now. My Brown FFG Delica has become my go to EDC for most things now. Maybe one day I'll get a third. Was going to get one in Super Blue, then HAP-40 but moved too slow. Might be interested if the Delica comes out in Maxamet.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

elena86 wrote:I'm too old for this :rolleyes:
What you will tell, when you will reach my age :rolleyes:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
loremipsum

Post by loremipsum »

I wholeheartedly believe frame lock is not the most reliable lock in quite some sense. But I bring the Techno everyday now.

While being a stout little knife that's tough as tank, that's even less aggressive than the Dfly2. Also framelock maintenance is super easy.

Think about it. :)
dolor sit amet
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I carry and use my hap40 DF quite a bit, the delicas just sit.
Gave away 2 delicas in the last 18 months, got 2 left.
Also just bought 2 more DF2's, regular and hawkbill spyderedge salts.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:Delica ffg vs Centofante hollow - Delica wins IMO
Delica frn Bi-Directional Texturing plus guard - Delica wins
Delica edge shape wins IMO
Delica pocket clip wins
Centofante3 edge lenght and no ricasso - Centofante3 wins
And the winner is Delica4 IMHO

Ditto
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

When I go out of the house, I have one or more of these knives on me: Delica, Dragonfly, Urban LW, Chaparral.

I do not carry any other knives unless out for my constitutional and then it is a Manix 2 LW or an Endura.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Pucker up
Justin
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:When I go out of the house, I have one or more of these knives on me: Delica, Dragonfly, Urban LW, Chaparral.

I do not carry any other knives unless out for my constitutional and then it is a Manix 2 LW or an Endura.
What happened to the "superior knife" ...backlock Manix2 ? :)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I really like a lot of things about the Centofante 3, but I like the Delica a lot more and it gets into my pocket much more. Delica is one of my favorite spydercos and the one I have the most versions of. But it fits my hand and works well for my needs.

I gifted my DF2 a while ago and have yet to replace it, but I really need to, also a great knife.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:When I go out of the house, I have one or more of these knives on me: Delica, Dragonfly, Urban LW, Chaparral.

I still carry it and use it. I will never part with it, that is for sure. I should have added it to the constitutional list.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

elena86 wrote:Where are the Delica fans when you need them ?
I'm here! And so is what is possibly my new favorite knife, the Pakkawood Delica, right here in my pocket yet again. The Delica got me into the brand, and it continues to be one of my favorite and most carried models, especially on average days.

I do have a Dragonfly and find it very useful and unobtrusive, but it is still too small to serve all my daily needs. Most, but not all. I've never held a Centofante, but I hardly see the comparison.

The Delica fits my hand and my life like almost no other knife. Almost. The only thing close to that sweet spot is the Mantra which is, to me, a flipping Delica with a wire clip!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
elena86 wrote:

I still carry it and use it. I will never part with it, that is for sure. I should have added it to the constitutional list.
Scuze my ignorance but...." constitutional list " ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Constitutional as a noun has two meanings. One, the original, is going for a walk. The other, which is a euphemism, derives from taking a walk to an outhouse. So either Doc has a walking knife or a pooping knife. ;)

You never know, we have had a few threads about knifesterbating in the men's room.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Oh yeah, this thread is blasphemy. Delica is still the EDC King! :D ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Scuze my ignorance but...." constitutional list " ?
When out exercising.

Over here, a knife has to be well hidden, so I do not carry my Manix BL unless out doing something like that, along with pepper spray in case of feral dog attack or two legged dog attack. The smaller ones are easy to conceal in the light clothing we wear around here.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Constitutional as a noun has two meanings. One, the original, is going for a walk. The other, which is a euphemism, derives from taking a walk to an outhouse. So either Doc has a walking knife or a pooping knife. ;)

You never know, we have had a few threads about knifesterbating in the men's room.
EVERY Spyderco fan has a pooping knife that he or she carries to the toilet to play with while doing their business. :D

In this case, I was referring to walking for exercise.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm with you Eli. I love my Delica, but if I had to choose between them, I'd go with the Dragonfly (especially now that they have a Hawkbill DFly :D )
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal