Spyderco Factory Outlet Seconds Sale 2017

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: Spyderco Factory Outlet Seconds Sale 2017

Post by GoldenSpydie »

jabba359 wrote:I just wanted to say thanks to Spyderco for running such a smooth sale.
+1!
PeteG

Post by PeteG »

Got there at the end of the day (2:00pm) but was still enough knives to overspend my budget.

Sorry took the tags off, I always like to clean & oil when I get home.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Great sale this year. Didn't find the green caly I was looking for but I'm happy someone else did.
I mostly was looking for gifts for my wedding party and a few cheaper knives for myself. So price was more important than rarity to me.
Serrated kitchen knife (I think 6") $15
Southard with small blemish on the g10 and missing a clip screw: $60
Pink squeak with about 1mm of tip broken off (already reground it) $10
Manix 2 black on black, can't find the defect: $20
Camo pm2 with maybe 2 or 3mm of tip broken (still need to regrind(partly got this one because the way its broken in it has some of the best action of a pm2 over handled) $20
8x Byrd wings? There were a ton of these. Action is too tight and I wouldnt carry it myself but for $10 makes a great stocking stuffer and gift to groomsmen. I plan to make custom scales or laser engrave the blades for the wedding ones.
Damascus delica can't find the blemish. $80

I gave to others a bunch I couldn't afford to buy including a couple kiwis, mini horns, h1dragonfly, and cf manix. Grabbed a few pouches and stones as well. Fun sale and I look forward to modding what I got. Make some new scales, reprofile spines, and do some laser engraving.

laylow

Post by laylow »

My wife was agonizing over those damascus Delicas, but decided they wouldn't get carried. I saw one damascus Endura with a green FRN handle. I wanted it, but had already spend too much.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

jabba359 wrote:I just wanted to say thanks to Spyderco for running such a smooth sale. They were very generous and bought a bunch of pizza for those of us freezing our butts of on Friday night and on Saturday had coffee and pastries. They also had a bunch of trivia prizes that day (ranging from pins and USB drives to black Dog Tag folders) that they gave away until mid-afternoon. Another great sale.
Another +1 on that! Had a great time at the sale! The whole Spyderco crew was incredibly helpful and courteous throughout the entire day!
toxophilus wrote:Part of this year's loot :spyder:

SecondsSalePartHaul_A_111817 (Large).jp
Nice haul! It was good to meet and chat with you at the sale! :spyder:

-

I'll get a picture of my haul from this year soon! :D Some killer deals, both seconds and new knives!
Already can't wait until next year ;)
-Nick :bug-red
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I wanted to add another voice of gratitude for another great sales event. I enjoyed it again this year. The biggest surprise for me was the blue PITS. I love this blade. The fit and finnish is superb. And it’s likely one of the sharpest out of box spydies I’ve ever had.
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I took a page out of EDC Honeybee's playbook this year and went with damaged knives. I got a Delica Clipit with a broken tip and beat up blade for $5 and bought 3 more combo edge Delica 4s for $20/ea. All of the Delica 4s had very dull blades on them.

I ground the blade down on the Delica Clipit and I've been working on reprofiling the blades on the 3 Delica 4s that I picked up.
Attachments
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2876.jpg
IMG_2878.jpg
laylow

Post by laylow »

Nice! That's a great idea.
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Amazing hauls. I can’t believe some of the deals! I’m definitely planning a trip next year (live near DC).

So you wait in line for days straight? And then once you get inside, do you get a certain amount of time before they kick you out?
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:Amazing hauls. I can’t believe some of the deals! I’m definitely planning a trip next year (live near DC).

So you wait in line for days straight? And then once you get inside, do you get a certain amount of time before they kick you out?
Only the craziest people get there that early (36 hours early). I might have been one of those crazies. :p I've made several friends from my previous years of waiting in line and they all show up pretty early as well, so it's kind of a fun get together rather than just burning time waiting in a line.

When the sale actually starts, they let in 50 people or so right off the bat and to get in that group you only needed to have arrived late Friday evening (about 12 hours before the sale starts). Maybe even later than that. Either way, after the first big group is in, they let in one person for every person that goes out. Nobody was kicked out for staying too long (and there were a few that were in there a looooooooong time), as the majority of the people cycle through in a timely manner, so the turnover was consistent enough that a few outliers didn't warrant a time limit.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

jabba359 wrote:
ConspicuousConsumption wrote:Amazing hauls. I can’t believe some of the deals! I’m definitely planning a trip next year (live near DC).

Only the craziest people get there that early (36 hours early). I might have been one of those crazies. :p I've made several friends from my previous years of waiting in line and they all show up pretty early as well, so it's kind of a fun get together rather than just burning time waiting in a line.

When the sale actually starts, they let in 50 people or so right off the bat and to get in that group you only needed to have arrived late Friday evening (about 12 hours before the sale starts). Maybe even later than that. Either way, after the first big group is in, they let in one person for every person that goes out. Nobody was kicked out for staying too long (and there were a few that were in there a looooooooong time), as the majority of the people cycle through in a timely manner, so the turnover was consistent enough that a few outliers didn't warrant a time limit.
Thanks for the great details. I’m always very curious about logistics (I’m a project manager), so I appreciate it. I think when I go I’ll have a written list of what I want. I bet I’d get very flustered seeing all these steals on knives I didn’t know I needed!!
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
laylow

Post by laylow »

If you aren't looking for rare stuff, it's safe to show up around 1pm and skip the long wait.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

After the sale, I shipped my haul to myself rather than risking everything in my luggage. After about a week of waiting, it finally arrived today!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/LyCoAre.jpg[img]

One more, thank you, to the entire spyderco crew for the entire sale! The generosity from Spyderco was above and beyond expectations, and the sale went incredibly well! Can't wait for next year ;)
Last edited by Mushroom on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nice haul Nick!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Nice to see that a Serrata was chosen...
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Nice to see that a Serrata was chosen...
I picked one up last year and I am enjoying it. Great design--feels good in hand, works well. Nice job. :)