Love at first sight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Love at first sight?

Post by vivi »

Which Spyderco knives did you decide to purchase the very first time you saw them?

For me it was the Police 3. When Spyderco released the first prototype pictures I was instantly sold. The ergonomics and construction looked great, and I knew right away that it would be perfect for me. I always loved the stainless steel Police but wanted G10 handles, full flat grind and tip up carry.

Runner up would be the Szabo folder. The lines caught my attention immediately, but it took a while for me to decide to purchase that one. It's a little less practical to EDC than a Police, but still an amazing design.

Which :spyder: knives did you decide to buy as soon as you saw them?
:unicorn
Mushroom

Re: Love at first sight?

Post by Mushroom »

The PPT Perrin Sprint Run. The unique milling pattern on the handles, the modified wharncliffe blade shape, and just the overall design were soo appealing to me (still are). Also, I love all black knives, so that only made me want it more.

Another one would definitely be the Squarehead! I've always tended to prefer smaller blades and I had already fallen in love with the Dog tag folder. For me, the Squarehead was just such an intrepid design that had a really cool, sci-fi feel which I never expected to see. It was also my introduction to Darriel Caston, who has since become one of my favorite knife designers. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

To be quite honest, every one that I own. They are all different, and serve there own purpose. Spyderco does not make a bad knife, I love every single one that I’ve been fortunate to own.

The one that stands out just a hair more then all the others though is the Advocate. It is such a darn good looking knife and that blade shape is my favorite! It really is a masterpiece imo.
Josh
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

No love at first sight here but I've certainly warmed to these somewhat unique knives.

I had Spyderco abrasives for nearly twenty years before I bought a Spyderco knife because I thought they were plain ugly but It's funny how things happy sometimes because I'd played with a Blue Paper Steel Higonokami for a bit and loved the way it sharpened up so I started looking for that steel in a more conventional folder, stumbled on a SuperBlue Manbug and eighteen Spyderco knives later here I am.

I must admit there are quite a few Spyderco knives on offer that leave me scratching my head and wondering but I certainly don't regret buying any that I have.

My favourite folder for now at least is the Military. I have three and I regret letting a couple of Sprints slip by. My favourite fixed blade is the Sprig and I reckon the next few knives I'll buy will be an M4 Military, a Southfork and a Temperance 2. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
seber

Post by seber »

I believe it was around 1983 when Sal showed up at a shooting event with two models. I bought the Worker immediately. I don't recall what the other one was but it seemed overly expensive at the time. The only other one that caught me that way was the original Centofante. Still a great knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Going all the way back to 2002>> It truly was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT :) I was at the BLADE Show and saw the C-60 Ayoob ( the original first run) for the very first time. I had read a review of it and was looking for one. But the intrigue of the design just blew me away.

Needless to say I bought it immediately and I've been deeply in love with it ever since. When the G-10 Sprint Run became available it was just like being in love again :cool: Now it's time for another Sprint Run and new version of the C-60.

The Szabo folder that the one Brother mentioned has a lot of the same intrigue but the C-60 has been in my top 10 ever since. Long live the C-60 Ayoob model :cool:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The bolstered & Damascus Caly 3 or the Kopa. Both were immediately appealing to my eye.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SS SE Police and Dfly2

Marius
jdw

Post by jdw »

SE Dragonfly. I had never seen a knife quite like it.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Slysz Bowie and the Vollotton Sub-Hilt.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yojimbo 2
Sliverax
Kiwi 4

Really there aren't that many for me. I'm very picky and most of the knives I like have "proven themselves" to me in one way or another, usually through use and carry. Those are just 3 that I have (or will) buy sight unseen and I'm very certain I will like (and did). There is a certain recipe of details that I like to see in a knife and when I see them it's easy to know how I'll feel about it. That doesn't always work however, as I could also list a few that I loved at first sight but then was really let down by when I first held them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

Way back in 1998, an Endura 3 and the Centofante C50.

I bought the Endura, but couldn’t afford the Centofante. Later when I could afford a higher end model, it was a serrated C36 Military in 440V.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Delayed love at first sight.

After decades of owning knife tools that I wouldn't think participating in a forum about, it was time to get something nice.

After spending countless hours of research and internal deliberations, it came down to a knife from Spyderco and BM.

Paramilitary 2 won the debate. The delayed love came when I pulled it out of the box. Several mistresses later, and couple of serious affairs, still in love with PM2, still my favorite. It is responsible for taking a tool and transforming it into an appreciation.
Peter
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sage1 for me.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Had one Spyderco or another for over 20 years and have always had a salt or two in the boat.

Pakkawood Delica, jumped on it like a fat kid on a candy bar as soon as I saw it. Even got a wow out of the box.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spambait11 wrote:Way back in 1998, an Endura 3 and the Centofante C50.

I bought the Endura, but couldn’t afford the Centofante. Later when I could afford a higher end model, it was a serrated C36 Military in 440V.
Hey DUDE!!! A big HIGH FIVE on the Centofante C-50 and 440V Military in full Spyderedge!! :cool: Why on GOD's blue planet did they destroy the tooling on the C-50 :confused: ????? That C-50 would have made one super Sprint Run. I'm hoping now that they are making 440V (S60V) again that we might see another 440V SE Military. Well I can hold out hope can't I :rolleyes: ??
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

The Lil Temp SE really was an amazing knife for me. Loved it at first sight and still own it.
setldown

Post by setldown »

SAGE4
Pakkawood Delica
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Caly3. When I saw the Wouter's picture from Amsterdam 2006, I knew I need it now. Eleven years later still carrying Caly3. The same with Native4 and 5. Actually Wouter "sold" me quite a few Spydercos.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
vivi

Post by vivi »

bh49 wrote:Caly3. When I saw the Wouter's picture from Amsterdam 2006, I knew I need it now. Eleven years later still carrying Caly3. The same with Native4 and 5. Actually Wouter "sold" me quite a few Spydercos.
I've still got the Police 3 and Szabo folder pictures he shared saved on my PC :)
:unicorn