C41GPFGR5 S90V Native 5 KC Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
APS

Re: C41GPFGR5 S90V Native 5 KC Exclusive

Post by APS »

Mine just arrived, it's awesome. Handle looks just like the picture and is a little more rounded on the edges than my black G10 Native.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

abbazaba wrote:
bh49 wrote:Native5 Plus
More like "Native5 Minus" :D

In all seriousness, I'd be fine if they ditched the liners on all "g10" models as a CQI of sorts. I've kept two lined N5s (S110v Forum and CF), and really try to carry them, but they always take a back seat to a LW (or fluted Ti).
Ditto ^^^
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

APS wrote:Mine just arrived, it's awesome. Handle looks just like the picture and is a little more rounded on the edges than my black G10 Native.
Come on man, we need pictures! :D
Ha, mine will be here Friday and I can't wait!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

APS wrote:Mine just arrived, it's awesome. Handle looks just like the picture and is a little more rounded on the edges than my black G10 Native.
Pics or it didn't happen :D
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

1507161391229.jpg
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Mine will be here Fri. Held out getting the regular g10 model and this one popped up. I'm a litte burned out on black knives so this one fits the bill.
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

That’s a ton of coin when you can get a Maxamet for the same price. Also overpriced but still.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:That’s a ton of coin when you can get a Maxamet for the same price. Also overpriced but still.
The Native5 Maxamet has FRN for $143.97. So, the KC Native5 S90V with G-10 for $149.97 is pretty good.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
anycal

Post by anycal »

Arriving today, day ahead of schedule :D . It's a good thing, because I am going away on Friday.
Peter
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

anycal wrote:Arriving today, day ahead of schedule :D . It's a good thing, because I am going away on Friday.
Get some of those photos up for us when you get it
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Initial impressions are very good! The smooth G10 really gives the knife a premium feel IMO, almost metal like. The construction is like the new linerless CF models: PB washers larger screws and clip like the lined G10 model, but floating stop pin like the linerless FRN model. It is noticeably lighter than the lined model, but not holy **** light like the FRN model. Forum member APS mentioned that the G10 edges have a larger radius than the lined model, which you can see in one of the pics below. The G10 is flat across the face, not contoured like the fluted Ti and CF models. The "3D machining" is probably in reference to the standard features of the regular G10 model. The light plays tricks with the smooth as glass G10, sometimes making it look lighter or darker than the 2013 forum Native, but I'm pretty sure it's the same color G10. I'd be very happy if this build took over production as the regular "G10" N5.

Initially I thought I would skip this one, but I'm glad I didn't. Man I love dark green G10!

Last edited by abbazaba on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you for sharing. very nice pictures.
It sounds and looks that 3D machining is applicable to corner radius (which is certainly nice) or I missed something?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

bh49 wrote:Thank you for sharing. very nice pictures.
It sounds and looks that 3D machining is applicable to corner radius (which is certainly nice) or I missed something?
Sadly, the G10 is flat across the face, not contoured like the fluted Ti and CF models. I think they might be talking about the standard sloped finger ramp toward the front of the handle (what do you call that?). Edited my above post to clarify.
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Thx for pics!
The clip looks like it is black oxide, rather than painted. Can you confirm?
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Great pics, even more excited to get mine now. 2 things I wasn't big on with the regular G10 Native with liners was the weight and the coarse texture, looks like this one solves both of those issues.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

buccilli15 wrote:Thx for pics!
The clip looks like it is black oxide, rather than painted. Can you confirm?
Painted on mine, just unboxed it. I'm one of the guys that look at knives, especially at this price point, with a discriminating eye. I can usually find a flaw in seconds. I've examined this thing for fifteen minutes and it's as flawless of a knife as I've ever bought. Grind is perfect, no centering issues, great lockup, everything flush, I'm really digging and can't find anything. The smooth g10 is a little different, at least for me. Goes in and out of pocket like butter though. Fantastic knife, not sure what else to say about it.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

abbazaba wrote:
Sadly, the G10 is flat across the face, not contoured like the fluted Ti and CF models. I think they might be talking about the standard sloped finger ramp toward the front of the handle (what do you call that?).
Thank you for info. Still thinking. Probably if it will not be sold out fast, will buy one. Smooth dark green will be hard to resist. I wish steel would be something different than SXXV, but nothing what I can do about this. I hope that this is clear that I am not saying that SXXV is not good enough for me. I just have it plenty of Natives with them: 4 of S110V, 3 of S90V, two of S35Vn. Plus two Natives wit S30V.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

abbazaba wrote:
Sadly, the G10 is flat across the face, not contoured like the fluted Ti and CF models. I think they might be talking about the standard sloped finger ramp toward the front of the handle (what do you call that?).
Thank you for info. Still thinking. Probably if it will not be sold out fast, will buy one. Smooth dark green will be hard to resist. I wish steel would be something different than SXXV, but nothing what I can do about this. I hope that this is clear that I am not saying that SXXV is not good enough for me. I just have it plenty of Natives with them: 4 of S110V, 3 of S90V, two of S35Vn. Plus two Natives wit S30V.

illacky

Post by illacky »

Just got mine in and I’m truly impressed. It feels so light, I honestly though it would be heavier in hand. It feels very solid with a smooth action. The best is the G10. Super smooth with little indentations, close to polished smooth. Grind is perfect, much more even and uniform than the caly I recently acquired. Overall very satisfied. I hope they do more of the smooth g10. The only thing that would have made it better would having it contoured rather than flat.
-Ivan
blockade

Post by blockade »

I got mine today also. I've been carrying a PM2 for close to a year now, and have bought several other Spydercos during that year. None displaced the PM2. However, I'm loving the feel of this new Native 5 -- sized somewhere between an old Gerber FS1 and FS2, fairly light but very solid feeling, great lockup, and a good steel. For what I really need in my pocket every day, it's a lot more suitable than the PM2. But man, I've loved that compression lock; it has spoiled me.