The New Military 2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: The New Military 2!

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:It amazes me how heated the clip orientation debate gets. I realized early on that I had one option if I were going to use this knife, so I adapted. Simple as that.
I had a tip up wire clip installed on the Para 1 and a tip up mod done to a BG42/CF Military. There are options :)

Clip orientation is not as big of a deal to me as it used to be. Carried right front pocket in jeans I don't like how it feels reaching into the pocket with a tip down knife clipped, but I hardly ever carry knives that way these days. My Military is usually clipped to a side phone pocket. For RF pocket jeans carry I always choose my Police 3.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Evil D wrote:It amazes me how heated the clip orientation debate gets. I realized early on that I had one option if I were going to use this knife, so I adapted. Simple as that.
I had a tip up wire clip installed on the Para 1 and a tip up mod done to a BG42/CF Military. There are options :)

Clip orientation is not as big of a deal to me as it used to be. Carried right front pocket in jeans I don't like how it feels reaching into the pocket with a tip down knife clipped, but I hardly ever carry knives that way these days. My Military is usually clipped to a side phone pocket. For RF pocket jeans carry I always choose my Police 3.
Everyone on both sides have these concrete reasons why their method is better. Nobody is completely right and nobody is completely wrong. I do believe that if I can adapt, anyone can, and it's a simple matter of choosing to or choosing not to, and all the excuses are just the BS we tell ourselves to justify our choices. There are a lot of great knives in the catalog that I don't own because there are things about them I don't like.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Everyone on both sides have these concrete reasons why their method is better. Nobody is completely right and nobody is completely wrong. I do believe that if I can adapt, anyone can, and it's a simple matter of choosing to or choosing not to, and all the excuses are just the BS we tell ourselves to justify our choices. There are a lot of great knives in the catalog that I don't own because there are things about them I don't like.
I don't know Dave, I don't have any concrete reasons why carrying the millie tip up is "better". I have my preference based on some factors that are important to ME, but I realize other people have other priorities. I'm not out to convince anyone how they should be carrying their knife because I know nothing about that subject. I would just like the option to carry mine the way I want. As far as having to choose to accept that or not? Meh, people used to have to accept the smaller hardware on the Millie, and now they don't. At this point, there is now a method for making the millie with 4-way clip without any change to the liners. The only real argument AGAINST it (from the ELU) is the "swiss cheese" argument. As I've said before, I think that's a rather selfish argument made by the half of the people who are already content with the current clip option. By making that argument, one is saying he would rather exclude half of the people from having the functionality of carry that works for them to avoid having a few extra clip holes that will make the knife less pretty in their opinion. I'd wager if they were in the half that was being excluded from having their preference then they might have different feelings about those "extra" clip holes being added. ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

And for the record, even though I don't have strong opinions about either carry method being fundamentally "better" than the other, I still love these threads and am always eager to insert my "opinions"! :rolleyes: Like a moth to flame, haha. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm sure if nothing else the next one will have 4 way clip, after all the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I never really agonized over clip holes that I don't use but I have to admit a knife definitely looks nicer without them.
~David
Username827

Post by Username827 »

xceptnl wrote:
runswithscissors wrote: I don't doubt the Military is an enjoyable knife to own or it's iconic status. However, after experiencing other spyderco knives with all the features I want, I think the Military would benefit greatly from these up grades. I think its the only spyderco that does have a number behind its name. I thought taking some thing awesome and making it better was what the spyderco CQI-constant quality improvement was all about.
CQI does not automatically equal a full blown version upgrade and number.
Now introducing

The SPYDERCO MILITRAY 9000!
Instead of being made from carbon steel, which may rust or chip or scare sheeples who are afraid of shiny goodness, the blade will ignite like a kyber cystal, like a light saber! With a hole in it!
The blade will adjust in height and length depending upon your needs. With a simple thought of your mind, the lock will change; frame, liner compression, ball, axis, no wait not axis, screw those guys!
There will be no need for a pocket clip, the knife will just appear into your hands when needed. Because, science!
So join me in welcoming SPYDERCO's newest product, the Military 9000! Bold because reasons!
carrot

Post by carrot »

Evil D wrote:I'm sure if nothing else the next one will have 4 way clip, after all the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I never really agonized over clip holes that I don't use but I have to admit a knife definitely looks nicer without them.
If the lock is still handed, it seems to me there's little reason to put a four-way clip, when simply offering a lefty model would do nicely. Unless there are people who opposite-clip their knives?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

carrot wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'm sure if nothing else the next one will have 4 way clip, after all the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I never really agonized over clip holes that I don't use but I have to admit a knife definitely looks nicer without them.
If the lock is still handed, it seems to me there's little reason to put a four-way clip, when simply offering a lefty model would do nicely. Unless there are people who opposite-clip their knives?
Then the debate becomes about lefty sprint fairness.
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

But all those extra clip holes save weight!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Vivi wrote:

You can adapt to something but still prefer alternatives. I have no issues carrying and using my stock Millies, but I still prefer them with a tip up mod and reprofiled edge.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

In regards to the liner lock issue; I am completely satisfied with the function of the lock, and I have faith that with my uses it will never fail me. The issue I have is the way the G10 has that cutout that gives the right thumb access; I've never particularly enjoyed the way it effects the ergonomics of the knife. I understand that the cutout in the handle is essential for accessing the lock, it is part of the design of a good functioning liner lock. If the Military had say, a Compression Lock, that weird cutout wouldn't exist and the handle could feel more natural in hand; much like, for example, Sage 1 ergos vs Sage 5 ergos. I highly prefer Sage 5 ergos.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A liner lock does not have to have a cutout like on the Military. Look at the Bradley folders for example. I believe the Military was designed to have a big cutout so that it is easy to use with gloves on. I have carried a Military ice fishing a lot and even with winter gloves on it is an easy knife to manipulate.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:A liner lock does not have to have a cutout like on the Military. Look at the Bradley folders for example. I believe the Military was designed to have a big cutout so that it is easy to use with gloves on. I have carried a Military ice fishing a lot and even with winter gloves on it is an easy knife to manipulate.
This is the biggest reason I'm not sure I'd really like a Military with a different lock even though I like other locks more. I've used mine with big wool mittens and was able to operate the lock, and I'm not sure I could have if it were something like a compression lock. It's a great form following function design.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Very true. The Para2 is definitely NOT glove friendly. Even a back lock is easier to use than a compression lock for me when wearing gloves.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Very true. The Para2 is definitely NOT glove friendly. Even a back lock is easier to use than a compression lock for me when wearing gloves.
A back lock on the Military would solve my little nit pick about the handle cut out too; doesn't have to be a Compression Lock. Golden knives like the Native already have sweet back locks, though I haven't had a chance to handle the Manix2 back lock. I imagine it would be just as sweet on a Military. Then the cutout would be gone and the ergos would be different, perhaps better (for my hands at least).
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bdubs808 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Very true. The Para2 is definitely NOT glove friendly. Even a back lock is easier to use than a compression lock for me when wearing gloves.
A back lock on the Military would solve my little nit pick about the handle cut out too; doesn't have to be a Compression Lock. Golden knives like the Native already have sweet back locks, though I haven't had a chance to handle the Manix2 back lock. I imagine it would be just as sweet on a Military. Then the cutout would be gone and the ergos would be different, perhaps better (for my hands at least).
I'm with you when it comes to the cut-out and its negative influence on ergonomics, but I wonder if a backlock Military could be kept to the same weight as a liner lock Military. I could also see sand and dirt being tougher to clean out of the knife, as backlocks aren't the easiest types to clean out.

Those concerns aside I'd be all over a backlock Military.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

At the end of the day, what this all comes down to for me personally is that I am really excited to see what the 2nd Military will be. The lock, materials, clip placement, that's all up to Spyderco and I know that they'll knock it out of the park. To me it's amazing that the younger PM2 and Manix 2 are 2nd gens, and Military is still going strong 1st gen. It's a strong and over all awesome 4 inch folder that is near perfect. Just imagining what the 2nd gen will look like has got me curious, impatient, excited; and when you compare the amount of advances/improvements between Manix 1 and 2 & PM 1 and 2, I can't stop wondering what the company is gonna put out there that's gonna deserve the title "Military 2".
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Forget Military 2;just give me a fluted with the CQI improvements.
bearfacedkiller

Bdubs808 wrote:At the end of the day, what this all comes down to for me personally is that I am really excited to see what the 2nd Military will be. The lock, materials, clip placement, that's all up to Spyderco and I know that they'll knock it out of the park. To me it's amazing that the younger PM2 and Manix 2 are 2nd gens, and Military is still going strong 1st gen. It's a strong and over all awesome 4 inch folder that is near perfect. Just imagining what the 2nd gen will look like has got me curious, impatient, excited; and when you compare the amount of advances/improvements between Manix 1 and 2 & PM 1 and 2, I can't stop wondering what the company is gonna put out there that's gonna deserve the title "Military 2".
I completely agree with you and I too look forward to seeing what it will be. I like big folders so it will likely interest me. I think the reason why I (as well as maybe others) take a defensive tone when people ask for the Military2 is that when they do it they either imply or flat out state that the Military is outdated or inferior. I think most of the Military's biggest fans are also looking forward to seeing what the Mil2 will be. :)
-Darby
anycal

Post by anycal »

Prefer carrying it in rear pocket, tip down

But the times I have it IWB or front pocket, I would really like it tip up.

Second one with that option would be perfect. If the next release is Maxamet, it won't really matter I guess.

Peter