The New Military 2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
runswithscissors

The New Military 2!

Post by runswithscissors »

Did you guys hear about the new Military 2? It's perfection!

It has the same perfect blade shape and size but is a little thicker to make it sturdier (especially the tip) for tactical use and the same enlarged spydie hole for ease of deployment. The blade steel is something that is the perfect balance/combination of edge retention, ease of sharpening and corrosion resistance. The handle in G10 has the same great ergonomics as the original. It's a little heaver with nested stainless steel liners (after all G10 doesn't inspire confidence as the frame of a hard use "Military" knife) and a new lock back system that combined with the added blade strength makes it worthy of the "Military" name and marketing hype. It has a four way pocket clip for tip up/down/right handed/left handed carry. It also has the pinned stop pin and enlarged lanyard whole.

The original is a classic to be sure but finally an updated "Military" after all these years, especially in light of the same endless feed back and complaints.

Then I woke up and realized I was dreaming again.

I just can't bring myself to buy the Military with all of its deficiencies. Sal, don't you think it's time for a Military 2?
flatearth

Re: The New Military 2!

Post by flatearth »

what deficiencies are we talking about here?
also, have you taken a look at the recently released police 4?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

The most common issues people have with the Military are the lack of pocket clip movements and the liner lock; these are the 2 issues for me as well, I would prefer a compression lock and tip up option. However I don't see these issues as deficiencies, just little nit picks. The Military is awesome as is, I just believe it can get better.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

runswithscissors wrote:I just can't bring myself to buy the Military with all of its deficiencies.
:confused: That's alright mate, don't buy it! :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jdw

Post by jdw »

n/m
Last edited by jdw on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sounds borderline nightmare to me. Heavier and thicker are two things I can do without. The more people push for this new Military, the more I'm happy that I have several of the current version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

That's not a Military 2, it's a completely different knife.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ejames13 wrote:That's not a Military 2, it's a completely different knife.
This ^^^
Evil D wrote:Sounds borderline nightmare to me. Heavier and thicker are two things I can do without. The more people push for this new Military, the more I'm happy that I have several of the current version.
... and this ^^^

I like my Military (s) just the way it is (they are). When you look at the volume purchased and the very subtle changes made over the last 20+ years of production, its hard for me to understand why people want to completely change a recipe that has please thousands of knife collectors, knife users, military amd law enforcement personel alike.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You should buy a ManixXL.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
carrot

Post by carrot »

The Military is perfect as is. The handle doesn't need to look like swiss cheese, it's strong enough as it is, and a lockback would be the wrong locking mechanism for a knife that needs flow-thru handles. But it sounds like you described the new Police 4 pretty good :D

I'm not sure I understand the tip up versus tip down fight anyway. On knives as big as the Military, a tip down clip would make it pretty hard to draw and open. So I just leave the clip whichever way they came factory installed. People buy thumb openers and flippers, so it's not like muscle memory makes life that hard.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It already has nested liners, in the places where liners are needed. There just is no reason to have liners at the butt end of the handle where so significant stress is happening. Clip mounting is the only reason and that can be solved with screw mounts like the back lock Manix has.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Military 2 started around May 2016 with marked improvements without the fanfare.

What the OP suggests is just a wish list.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

runswithscissors wrote: I just can't bring myself to buy the Military with all of its deficiencies. Sal, don't you think it's time for a Military 2?
The deficiencies for you are the pluses for me. Except for maybe the clip placement options, your suggestions merely dumb down the current millie for my purposes.

Maybe get a medford?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Military is meant to be "a high performance lightweight folder designed for hard use". Is that the "hype" you are referring to? There is a saying in the Military, "Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain." Weight is an important design criteria of this model.

The Military is a performance knife with excellent cutting ability that is lightweight and most of us find it plenty durable. To me it lives up to the claims made above.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The Military is meant to be "a high performance lightweight folder designed for hard use". Is that the "hype" you are referring to? There is a saying in the Military, "Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain." Weight is an important design criteria of this model.

The Military is a performance knife with excellent cutting ability that is lightweight and most of us find it plenty durable. To me it lives up to the claims made above.
That is well said.
Myg30

Post by Myg30 »

carrot wrote:The Military is perfect as is. The handle doesn't need to look like swiss cheese, it's strong enough as it is, and a lockback would be the wrong locking mechanism for a knife that needs flow-thru handles. But it sounds like you described the new Police 4 pretty good :D

I'm not sure I understand the tip up versus tip down fight anyway. On knives as big as the Military, a tip down clip would make it pretty hard to draw and open. So I just leave the clip whichever way they came factory installed. People buy thumb openers and flippers, so it's not like muscle memory makes life that hard.

Carrot, there are some that can draw and cut you faster then you can step back. I believe they may prefer their way of carry. I'm an old guy and prefer tip down so I can grab the choil with thumb and index finger, draw and snap open. No other way fer me.
How about a S110v in combo either on a PM2 or Native5 ?

Mike
runswithscissors

Bdubs808 wrote:The most common issues people have with the Military are the lack of pocket clip movements and the liner lock; these are the 2 issues for me as well, I would prefer a compression lock and tip up option. However I don't see these issues as deficiencies, just little nit picks. The Military is awesome as is, I just believe it can get better.
I don't doubt the Military is an enjoyable knife to own or it's iconic status. However, after experiencing other spyderco knives with all the features I want, I think the Military would benefit greatly from these up grades. I think its the only spyderco that does have a number behind its name. I thought taking some thing awesome and making it better was what the spyderco CQI-constant quality improvement was all about.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

runswithscissors wrote: I don't doubt the Military is an enjoyable knife to own or it's iconic status. However, after experiencing other spyderco knives with all the features I want, I think the Military would benefit greatly from these up grades. I think its the only spyderco that does have a number behind its name. I thought taking some thing awesome and making it better was what the spyderco CQI-constant quality improvement was all about.
CQI does not automatically equal a full blown version upgrade and number.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
runswithscissors

Bloke wrote:
runswithscissors wrote:I just can't bring myself to buy the Military with all of its deficiencies.
:confused: That's alright mate, don't buy it! :confused:
I won't!
runswithscissors

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:The Military is meant to be "a high performance lightweight folder designed for hard use". Is that the "hype" you are referring to? There is a saying in the Military, "Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain." Weight is an important design criteria of this model.

That is well said.
Using the whole, "if my son was a soldier what knife would i want him to have" blah blah blah, i would appreciate a little more robust design and would be willing to sacrifice a couple of ounces for additional strength. I'd rather have a slightly heavier tool that works than a lighter one that is broken. I have read enough comments in various youtube reviews from former military guys who have complained about breaking their Military knives to make doubt its moniker.

As a regular dude in the EDC world perhaps it's not as important to me, but if I expect to also use it as a tactical self defense blade then the more robust design would be desirable.