After carrying the UKPK...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wrathhog

Re: After carrying the UKPK...

Post by Wrathhog »

spy4life wrote:After getting UKPK s110v, I like it so much that I got Urban k390. It smaller and has better detent on both 90-deg and fully opened. But only drawback is it’s weight which is heavier than UKPK.
I don't own an Urban but realize it is smaller. Why makes it heavier than the UK? I assumed it was the same construction.
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

Hi Wrathog,

Urban is heavier due to construction of their spacer/tuning fork which wraps around entire handle. Also both blade and spacer are thicker than of UKPK which adds weight.
~spy4life~

Collections: GB1, GB2, Dice, Urban-K390, Positron-S35VN, Sliverax, Southard brown&blk, CS Native 5 S90V, KW Military S90V Carbon/Ti
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Wrathhog wrote:for a few days I've determined that, 1)I really don't need a locking blade, and 2)It's really all the blade I need to accomplish my cutting needs 99.9% of the time.

[...] it's almost amazing to me that this little inconspicuous knife is really all I practically need [...]
I fully agree and send you my congrats for your new EDC-tool.

Never thought to write it down but in case of UKPK we have to be thankful to the british governance and their ridiculous sight what knives belongs.
Last edited by Peter1960 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I just bought a second hand orange G-10 UKPK for $50. I always liked the looks of it, but not enough to spend $100 or whatever they retailed for. I wish I had though, it is a dandy little knife. I really like not having a lock as it makes it very fast to open and close, which makes it convenient. Also a big fan of the clip, it literally disappears in your pocket.
mad german

Post by mad german »

I want to carry a slipjoint, but after I've seen how miserably they do on the spine whack tests, there's not way I'd ever carry one. I mean, come on, a knife that cannot take being beaten against the spine? Everyone knows that real knife users put their knives through this sort of thing everyday...
My collection is ever changing!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

we need a 52100 ukpk
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:we need a 52100 ukpk
That would be nice! The UKPK design suits me well and I like the idea of using it as an inexpensive folder to test different steels.

UKPK S110V on me at work today.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Peter1960 wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:for a few days I've determined that, 1)I really don't need a locking blade, and 2)It's really all the blade I need to accomplish my cutting needs 99.9% of the time.

[...] it's almost amazing to me that this little inconspicuous knife is really all I practically need [...]
I fully agree and send you my congrats for your new EDC-tool.

Never thought to write it down but in case of UKPK we have to be thankful to the british governance and their ridiculus sight what knives belongs.
Keep watching - their ridiculous-ness doesn't stop there ...
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Peter1960 wrote:Never thought to write it down but in case of UKPK we have to be thankful to the british governance and their ridiculous sight what knives belongs.
Not to nit-pick but it was actually the judiciary which determined, through case law, that a locking knife is not a "folding pocketknife" as referred to in legislation.
---------
Tony S
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

aesmith wrote:
Peter1960 wrote:Never thought to write it down but in case of UKPK we have to be thankful to the british governance and their ridiculous sight what knives belongs.
Not to nit-pick but it was actually the judiciary which determined, through case law, that a locking knife is not a "folding pocketknife" as referred to in legislation.
But it's poor government drafting of legislation that allows expansive interpretation by the courts.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Completely agree. It is an eye opener once someone gives it a try for a basic edc.

Even the Roadie is great.
But I do truly enjoy the UKPK and Urban.
Going back to Caly.