Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
flatearth
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:12 pm

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby flatearth » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Indoril wrote:
Halfneck wrote:Last post in 2013. You didn't just leave under another name after calling us all shills did you?
Um... no? This is my only account. And I don't see the relevance of when my last post was.
he is referring to another poster who called out people on this forum acting as shills for spyderco

on topic:
I never realized/thought about blade to handle ratio until I read some of the reviews on everydaycommentary, I think that was the site.
I understand the concept, but it is one of those things that I never thought about, and still don't, because it was/is never an issue. If the particular knife or tool feels great in hand, disappears in your pocket, works like a sixth finger... then what is the point worrying about some number? IE, it's not always about sabermetrics :)

here, I just thought of a good one...
The "hole" is greater than the sum of its parts!
Last edited by flatearth on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4505
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby Bloke » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:26 pm

My favourite Spyderco folder is the Military! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

El Gato
Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:26 am
Location: SE Arizona USA Earth

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby El Gato » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:09 pm

I have found many Spyderco offerings that meet my needs and preferences regarding handle size to fit my hand well and comfortably, and a blade length that does what I need it to do. Much can be accomplished with a small blade and a bit of ingenuity, but fit in the hand is important to controlling that blade regardless of its length or size, (once again, it's not the size, it's how you use it). It is all about personal preference after all, and at the end of the day Spyderco seems to have something for almost everyone.
The Spyderco models that I use and carry daily certainly do not "fall short" for me in any way.

Dave

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21326
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby Evil D » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:12 pm

I can't say this sort of thing doesn't matter, because my biggest gripe with the Military always was that the handle was massive for the size blade it houses. Now the Military is probably my favorite Spyderco. It matters, but it hasn't stopped me from buying about 5 of them.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 8712
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby Doc Dan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:35 pm

I like the fact that Spyderco has longer handles than, what I consider stupid, the mythical blade to handle sameness ratio. I like the fact that Spyderco designs knives that, if they suddenly close, they protect my precious fingers, though that shortens the cutting edge. I like the fact that Spyderco knives actually fit my hand and feel good.

When I see such ideas as the OP floated, I respect the difference of opinion, but also know that such people do not seem to understand the intricacies of superior design choices.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

osprey
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: Portland, ME, USA

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby osprey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:03 pm

Of all the criteria one can judge a knife by, blade to handle ratio has to be about the least important to me. YMMV

carrot
Member
Posts: 754
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:38 pm

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby carrot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:06 pm

I prefer my big-handled Spydercos. In fact, I still prefer the blade to handle ratio of the original Paramilitary over the Paramilitary 2. That however, hasn't stopped me from buying and carrying the Paramilitary 2 which is wonderful in its own right... and otherwise an incredible refinement to a knife that I never thought could be refined.

With that thought, I'd even carry an Endura with a Delica-sized FFG blade in it. I love big handles for the leverage and versatility of hand positions, but don't really need huge blades.

If there's one thing we have to talk about that's not really in Spyderco's lineup at all, is slim knives that carry small but have big blades. The Police and Mantra 2 carry small for their blade sizes, but they are truly exceptional in that regard. I want a big knife for office drones like myself that can handle boxes and envelopes and fruit and sandwiches that simply disappears into the pocket.

mattman
Member
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: Central NY

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby mattman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 pm

carrot wrote:I want a big knife for office drones like myself that can handle boxes and envelopes and fruit and sandwiches that simply disappears into the pocket.
You need to get your hands on a Caly 3.5.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13011
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby sal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi Indoril,

I disagree with the value of your premise. Blades are for cutting. Handles are for holding (purchase). A scalpel would not be more efficient with a longer blade or a shorter handle. We design knives like the Polestar and Tenacious for those people like yourself that think blade to handle ratio is an important thing. More important to the eye. In my opinion, not to function or performance.

sal

User avatar
remnar
Member
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:32 pm
Location: TheNorthWest

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby remnar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:28 pm

I understand the OP's desire to have a higher edge to length ratio but to make this a priority in knife design, I believe, goes against, Spyderco's philosophy of designing a knife from the edge out. By starting with some arbitrary or maximum edge to length ratio as your end goal, you would be minimizing your design options. There are plenty of Spydies with good edge to length ratios, as others have pointed out, and a lot that don't meet that criteria. I would hate to see what would happen if Spyderco changed their design philosophy because right now they probably provide more diversity in materials, steels and designs than any other company and that is just one thing that I love about Spyderco.

-The Shill :D

User avatar
standy99
Member
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
Location: Between Broome and Cairns somewhere

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby standy99 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 pm

The one thing you miss in the mix is Spyderco has everything from small to large blades covered in folders. If I want a small blade or a large blade I have choice.

Want a 2" blade I buy a 2" blade
Want a 4" blade I buy a 4" blade
Easy solved

One thing that I like about Spyderco is the smaller cutting edge on most knives.
In this day and age the last thing you want is to open a folder and a huge shinny full length to the handle blade comes out.

Most used knife is a GB 1 which is probably the worst if going by your chart

My challenge to Spyderco is keep on making great knives the way you always have.

Endnote
The funny thing is I have a lot of knives from a lot of makers and I don't want anyone to make knives different.
I don't want a Spyderco Mnandi and I don't want a Chris Reeve Delica.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.

User avatar
bh49
Member
Posts: 11464
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: former Constitution state

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby bh49 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:01 am

I care about blade/OL ratio from aesthetic point of view. But one of my most favorite features is a choil, which kills edge /OL, so I do not care. I love my choiled Spydercos.
My N5 with 2.42 edge length can do 99% of the tasks I need. But I need all 4" of handle to hold it, plus choil. If this edge is not sufficient, I have Caly3.5 .
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8353
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby xceptnl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:10 am

I do see a trend on your original data. Spyderco generally has a higher edge to mass ratio which I don't specifically care about myself (my pockets are typically loaded with over 3lbs of various tools and things) however I have always seen that as a strength of Spyderco knives.

Linerless designs, skeletonized liners, FFG all contribute to knives that are lightweight yet slice very well and ultimately get the job done.
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

palonej
Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby palonej » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:13 am

Never really understood why so many complain about the blade to handle 'problem' with the Para 2.
I carry and use one quite a bit, and have NEVER wished for 1/8" more blade.
Come to think of it......that knife cuts pretty darn well with that extremely short blade and that huge handle!!
Joe
:p

JenWrath
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby JenWrath » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:29 pm

I actually use my knives. All of my knives on rotation. From full customs and mid-techs to a kershaw I got when I was 15, all see mountaineering and general camping time. If I can't find a use for a knife in my job and am avoiding putting it in my pocket, I lend it to my buddy that does a lot of demo and renovation work.

The knives I use more than any others? Spyderco knives. I couldn't care less about the handle to blade ratio as long as the knife works. Spyderco is unashamedly focused on function over form. It's what made me pick up a Delica and then a PM2....and now the spyder is on majority of my ever growing collection. I can use a Spyderco all day and no hotspots or quirks to opening it come up. Their heat treats are good and their blades are some of the thinnest for non-custom knives.

I don't see the advantage in having a longer blade length on any of their main models? What is being cut where the level of control over the cutting edge needs to be diminished in order to get the job done?

Eee
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:37 pm
Location: UK

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby Eee » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi Indoril,

I see the value of blade length in fixed blades, but the tasks I use folders for more suit shorter blades in general. I still have a Police which great for cutting bread at picnics. What sort of tasks do you find a longer blade helps with?

My bigger priority is a handle which fits- my hand doesn't get any smaller just because I'm using a shorter blade :)

Fortunately Spyderco does a range of blades with differing ratios, so some like the Resillience will suit you, and some like the PM1 & GB1 suit me.

I'm more interested in your weight metric as I do think about weight when packing. I'd expect the Pacific Salt to be a star turn here as a very light knife with plenty of cutting edge (although the Al Mar Eagle Ultralight would likely be lighter)

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3091
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby wrdwrght » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Should other companies' greater ratios be a measure that Spyderco must achieve to offer better knives?

I think it's instructive that Sal and crew have not felt the need over decades.

I certainly don't feel shorted.
Marc <— a mere data-point, not an Influencer.

INCOMING: 52100 Military Model. ON RADAR: SwayBack; SE Pacific Salt2; S90V Chief sprint-run; Z-Wear PM Shaman sprint-run. IN DREAMS: Elmax Military Model; Lil’ Native slipjoint; 52100 Shaman; Vanax Chief.

hovan2yourknives
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Rockland County, NY
Contact:

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby hovan2yourknives » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:17 pm

I’d love if Spyderco would make knives that are comfortable to use, cut like razors, are easy to carry, have smooth one handed deployment, aren’t too heavy and have blades that don’t get in the way during use...wait...that’s exactly what they do! Also, as others have mentioned...they have plenty of knives that fit the parameters which the OP is looking for.

All I ask is that they keep feeding my Cruwear fix!!! I just can’t get enough of that steel!

-Hovan

User avatar
chuck_roxas45
Member
Posts: 8677
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Location: Small City, Philippines
Contact:

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby chuck_roxas45 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Maybe the edge to length ratio that spyderco has is what makes the other companies fall short for me.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the other planet, edge length to weight ratio is more important to me.

hovan2yourknives
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Rockland County, NY
Contact:

Re: Where Spyderco Knives Fall Short

Postby hovan2yourknives » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:19 pm

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Anyway, as I mentioned in the other planet, edge length to weight ratio is more important to me.


What planet did you visit? It must’ve been an expensive trip :p


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FeistyKat, ladybug93, robin_the_redhood and 23 guests