Your Favorite Short Bladed Spyderedged Model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Your Favorite Short Bladed Spyderedged Model?

Post by JD Spydo »

For the most part I don't use many folders with a blade less that 3.5 inches long and I prefer one the length of the C-36 Military, C-60 Ayoob or one of my trusty JD Smith models. But there are a couple of relatively short bladed Spyders that I refer to as being my "pitbull folders" that I do like in full Spyderedge. One being my 440V SE, GOLDEN USA made NATIVE model. That knife has been put through **** more than once and it keeps on performing just as good as when I first got it.

Also just like I told my good pal "Xceptnl" who is high on the C-52 Caly jr. model that I really liked that model in full Spyderedge. Not sure why but for no more bulk than it has it sure seems to perform like a laser in Spyderedge and especially with the older blade steels like AUS-8. But I wouldn't turn my nose up at a VG-10 version of that little gem.

OK which short bladed, full Spyderedged models do you all like and why? Also I don't care if it's a Hawkbill, Reverse S blade or even a specialty type blade. Which is your favorite Short Bladed, full Spyderedged model?
elena86

Re: Your Favorite Short Bladed Spyderedged Model?

Post by elena86 »

Wharnie Delica.Enough said :eek:

Marius
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Dragonfly 2 Salt/DF2 Salt Hawkbill, Salt/Salt 2, Tasman Salt/TS 2, Delica Wharncliffe, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Manbug Salt Sheepsfoot

Most of these are Salt models, since H1 in SpyderEdge is extremely good and entirely rust-resistant. IMO, if you're going to go full serrated, you might as well get it in H1 for the corrosion resistance.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Though i love my C-52 as JD stated... this is my favorite short bladed SE model

Honorable mention...

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Has to be the Dragonfly, and I think most likely the hawkbill version but it's a little soon to say.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wharnie Delica, but for little big knives, the Manbug Salt. I don't have the Dfly Hawk yet, though...
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:Though i love my C-52 as JD stated... this is my favorite short bladed SE model
Like I've said before I have little or no use for any of those Micro sized Spyders. But I must say that I was really blown away at how popular that Ladybug Hawkbill got in such a short period of time. There's even been a call recently for a Manbug Hawkbill and I wouldn't doubt it if they would do one of those too. Now I did like the Jester because of the blade design but I can't remember if they ever did one of those in Spyderedge. I only ever owned two of those and they were both the Burgundy Micarta Jester models.

The Harpy is probably about as small as I'll ever use. Because my cutting chores are pretty demanding and it truly takes a brute of a blade to get my chores done. And the 440V SE NATIVE will probably be as small as I'll ever go with a standard blade.

Now there is one exception and it's one small bladed, Spyderedged model I've been trying to find for the past 4 years. I very much want a Spyderedged Dodo model. But there is something about those Reverse S blades that do indeed change the criteria and the Dodo is the best of small Reverse S blades IMO.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Despite not using Spyderedges much, I've managed to accumulate 4 of them lol. :confused: :D

I guess these are all my favorites, since they're the ones I wanted to own. UKPK and Calypso Jr are a couple of my favorite models anyway, but these are both essentially lnib (apart from the UK being a Franken :spyder: ).

I like the Manbug a ton and I carry it the most because it's on my keys. It sees a fair amount of action and despite never really wanting a yellow knife before, the color really pops and it's friendly looking. I guarantee if I had even an Urban sitting out on my desk at work, multiple ppl a day would get "freak out" or say something, but in the months I've had the Manbug on my keys, no one's ever said a thing.

The Byrd Hawkbill may be the "best" in terms of utility and overall usefulness for me (gardening, etc.), but it's also the newest so I'm not ready to crown it just yet. Definitely has me thinking about additional serrated hawkbills, but there's always a long queue on the purchase list...

:spyder:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Jazz wrote:Wharnie Delica, but for little big knives, the Manbug Salt. I don't have the Dfly Hawk yet, though...
+1 the Manbug is a little chainsaw
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

My favorite definitely goes to the Ladybug Hawkbill. Would still like to try the manbug wharncliffe and the Dragonfly Hawbilll though.
-Nick :bug-red
jdw

Post by jdw »

The first Spyderco knife that I ever saw and then bought was a SE Dragonfly so I will have to stick with that. It still amazes me how so much slicing power comes in such a small package.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Is this a trick question? :D
20170921_153531.jpg
Hawkfly without a doubt.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Seems appropriate, so I'll put this here too. No, I don't get paid for my vids. Just like to showcase a good freakin' knife. :cool:

https://youtu.be/qgUn1xWYPAQ
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Is this a trick question? :D

Hawkfly without a doubt.
No Zrow Brother it's not at all a trick question ;) Because before I ever used my 440V SE Native model on a serious job I was heavily leaning in the direction of only using larger blades all together. But much to my pleasant surprise I have discovered that there are some really aggressive small bladed, serrated edge Spyders that flat out surprise you when you first use them.

And you've got me wanting to try out a DragonHawk>> but I'll warn you all that I serious doubt if it unseats my Harpy or Spyderhawk as my main go-to Spyderedged Hawkbills. I'm wanting a G-10 Harpy so bad I'm just about willing to make some kind of a deal with the Great Spyder Factory to see it come to fruition

But I'll give this new DragonHawk a try. But I seriously doubt if the Harpy or Spyderhawk are going to lose my allegiance :rolleyes:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote: But I'll give this new DragonHawk a try. But I seriously doubt if the Harpy or Spyderhawk are going to lose my allegiance :rolleyes:
I don't think it will replace your Spyderhawk as your favorite, but I think it has a real shot at being your favorite "short bladed" model. If you're at all a fan a minimalism, you could get pretty far with just the HB DFly :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jazz wrote:Seems appropriate, so I'll put this here too. No, I don't get paid for my vids. Just like to showcase a good freakin' knife. :cool:
Great Vid Jazz! That poor shoe :D An excellent endorsement of the Manbug Salt.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: But I'll give this new DragonHawk a try. But I seriously doubt if the Harpy or Spyderhawk are going to lose my allegiance :rolleyes:
I don't think it will replace your Spyderhawk as your favorite, but I think it has a real shot at being your favorite "short bladed" model. If you're at all a fan a minimalism, you could get pretty far with just the HB DFly :D
Well Zrow I challenge you to check out a full Spyderedged Native model. it has the rigid bulk and a blade that just won't quit. I'm sure I'll end up getting a DragonHawk but I do still like a short, stocky Spyderedged blade like the SE Native. I very much want to test drive some serrated edge with XHP and I think that the NATIVE or the C-36 Military would both be excellent blades to try that out with.

Like I said earlier I've been tending to gravitate away from shorter blades but I'm not totally ignoring the really good ones either. And the Spyderedged Native models are great and I literally tried to destroy one and I couldn't do it. I would really like to see the original Lil Temperance leaf blade in SE return>> that truly was a pitbull in SE.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Hawkbill ladybug or dodo
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bradley wrote:Hawkbill ladybug or dodo
It baffles me when you have so many fans of the DODO model that so few remember how great that the Spyderedged Dodo model was. It was one of my biggest regrets when I traded my SE Dodo. I thought that it would be easy to obtain another one but I was sure wrong about that one :o As many Sprint runs of the Dodo and it's endless popularity it's high time we got a Spyderedged Sprint Run of that blade.

I just don't understand why when they run a Sprint Run that they don't at least do 15% to 20% of them in Spyderedge. You know darn good and well that they could sell at least that many of the SE version with no problem. The Spyderedged Dodo was truly one very aggressive blade and I dearly miss it. I bet if they brought it back that it would sell as well as the PE version.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Calypso Jr or the Harpy.
One of the two for sure!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto