Pre 2005 Spyderco Models For Sprint Runs? Most Desired? Most Needed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: Pre 2005 Spyderco Models For Sprint Runs? Most Desired? Most Needed?

Post by bh49 »

JD Spydo wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:R model with G10 and a fancy steel. The latest R sprint is great and I enjoy carrying it but the nishijin and VG10 make it more of a classy carry than a work knife for me. G10 and ZDP or HAP40 would make me very happy. K390 would be outstanding too if there is a bunch of that sitting over there. :)
Oh I could go along with that model for sure>> however I would have to insist on the original skeletonized blade version>>
+1
Also, skeletonized scales and original grind.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jabba359 wrote:I'd have to go with the C83 Persian. The G-10 Persian 2 was just too plain, with the flat, boring black G-10 scales. The Persian deserves some class with premium materials. Give it a higher end steel ..........and make sure it has bolsters.
+1
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:Full sized Calypso. I'd take green G10 and CTS204P if I could be picky.
A huge "ABSOLUTELY YES!!" for all you guys who want to see the return of the C-54 Big Calypso model. Not only would I also like to see it in a newer/better blade steel but I would like at least 25% of them to be made in Spyderedge. It's right up there with the Ayoob as far as Spyderedged performance. Sure G-10 handle would be all right by me>> don't care if it''s linerless or has a liner because that's just never been much of a issue for me. Albeit I couldn't even imagine a C-46 Lum Tanto folder without a liner. Some knives just really do well with a liner IMO.

Again the C-60 Ayoob in SE & PE both with some newer/better blade steel. Let's do a deluxe version of both of these ultra-classics :cool:
Donut

Post by Donut »

Maybe C-54 Calypso with a mashup of the last sprint and the Police 4's parts to lighten the weight. Either that or whatever material it needs to make a single material handle strong.

Where is my Full Sized Manix Lock back sprint? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

jabba359 wrote:The Persian deserves some class with premium materials. Give it a higher end steel (HAP40, Super Blue, Damascus) and make sure it has bolsters. I think brass bolsters and wood (or Pakkawood) handles would look nice.
+1 on the above idea. I couldn't of said it better myself. (Except for the Damascus, I always think it looks to...busy.)
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I just got a Chinook 4, and one of the first thoughts that came to me while playing with the power lock was "this should be on the Ayoob".

I'll take one of those nice Persians. Its about time we had another bolstered beauty.

Finally, and I'm likely in the minority, I'd take a nice new Shabaria. Maybe with some nice micarta?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

KingRat wrote:I just got a Chinook 4, and one of the first thoughts that came to me while playing with the power lock was "this should be on the Ayoob".

I'll take one of those nice Persians. Its about time we had another bolstered beauty.

Finally, and I'm likely in the minority, I'd take a nice new Shabaria. Maybe with some nice micarta?
Very interesting idea for the next Ayoob Sprint Run>> I've even given thought as to how good it would be with a ball bearing lock>> but I'm more than willing to check out this new power lock system. I really loved my Chinook 3 when I had it and I no qualms about that lock. The one lock I wouldn't want to see on the C-60 Ayoob model would be a liner-lock>> I just don't think it would work well with that type of design.

The Shabaria is an interesting pick. It's not a practical knife for what I use folders for but it is a very interesting design and makes a great collector piece. Actually I like the KRIS and the Spyker models better when it comes to Recurves. There is just a lot of people that want a really nice version of the C-60 Ayoob model>> it is truly timeless. Since the G-10 Sprint run units got rare you wouldn't believe all the people that have asked me where to obtain one.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

JD Spydo wrote:
KingRat wrote:I just got a Chinook 4, and one of the first thoughts that came to me while playing with the power lock was "this should be on the Ayoob".

Very interesting idea for the next Ayoob Sprint Run>> I've even given thought as to how good it would be with a ball bearing lock>> but I'm more than willing to check out this new power lock system. I really loved my Chinook 3 when I had it and I no qualms about that lock. The one lock I wouldn't want to see on the C-60 Ayoob model would be a liner-lock>> I just don't think it would work well with that type of design.

The Shabaria is an interesting pick. It's not a practical knife for what I use folders for but it is a very interesting design and makes a great collector piece. Actually I like the KRIS and the Spyker models better when it comes to Recurves. There is just a lot of people that want a really nice version of the C-60 Ayoob model>> it is truly timeless. Since the G-10 Sprint run units got rare you wouldn't believe all the people that have asked me where to obtain one.
I see a lot of talk about the Ayoob here. Seems like its one folks are more interested in. The power lock on my Chinook 4 is like a bank vault. Zero blade play in any direction. Feels like you have a fixed blade in your hand when the blade is locked. Just push down the lever to unlock, just like a back lock.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I would like the Calypso Jr in FRN, would love one in HAP40.
(might also be the closest to that USPK some are talking about)

I'd also really go for an R in Cruwear or M4! :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joris Mo wrote:I would like the Calypso Jr in FRN, would love one in HAP40.
(might also be the closest to that USPK some are talking about)

I'd also really go for an R in Cruwear or M4! :)
Two really interesting suggestions for Pre-2005 models in Sprint Run. I like all of the Pre-2005 Calypso models. But the Caly Jr and C-54 big Calypso are truly in good standing for being revamped Sprint Runs. The Caly Jr. in HAP 40 I'm sure would be a very quick sell out. Also the C-54 big Calypso would be ideal for just about any of the newer/better blade steels and it would be ideal to introduce a new Japanese supersteel.

The original R model in either Cruwear or M-4 would truly be a "must-have" for a lot of users and collectors alike. To have a super unique model like the original skeletonized R model in a supersteel would actually be apropos. Because when they introduced the original in ATS-34 at that time that blade steel was considered one of the best in that era. I would pick M-4 for that one.
carrot

Post by carrot »

How about a Scorpius? http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=39

Always wanted one of these...
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Full size Calypso + CF scales + Bohler M390/CTS204P/CPM20CV/S35VN
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

With all this love for the Calypso and Caly Jr.... is it too much to wish for a matched pair? :spyder: :D :p
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:With all this love for the Calypso and Caly Jr.... is it too much to wish for a matched pair? :spyder: :D :p
I will go for this pair, if scales will be dark green paper micarta or dark green polished G10 :)

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:
xceptnl wrote:With all this love for the Calypso and Caly Jr.... is it too much to wish for a matched pair? :spyder: :D :p
I will go for this pair, if scales will be dark green paper micarta or dark green polished G10 :)
Always have shared your good taste in knives. I was just drooling over on the Cuscadi website less than an hour ago. I blame Dan and his cruwear para 3.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Always have shared your good taste in knives. I was just drooling over on the Cuscadi website less than an hour ago. I blame Dan and his cruwear para 3.
It is certainly his fault :)

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mako109 wrote:Full size Calypso + CF scales + Bohler M390/CTS204P/CPM20CV/S35VN
I'm surprised but pleasantly surprised that the C-54 has garnered so much fanfare in the past two years or so. It just goes to show you that C-54 Calypso model was just never given the chance it deserved because of bad timing when it was first released. The C-54 is such a great design that there are all kinds of options you could use on that model for a Sprint Run. Hey why not do one in the original Micarta handle?

I've even wondered what a C-54 Calypso would be like with a Titanium handle. But the blade steels that would do well with that model are almost unlimited. I am seriously surprised that we have that many true fans of the C-54 because it wasn't always that way. Even back around 10 years ago when I got my first C-54 there wasn't that many fans back then. But again it's amazing how many of the newer forum members are starting to love these older models that more or less got overlooked the first go-around.. And the C-54 is a prime of example of an older model that just got passed over due to all the big selling models that were in the main line up at that time.

But like fruit that has finally ripened the C-54 is now getting the appreciation that it richly deserves IMO.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The fish scales really ask for a Salt version of those folders.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Lagouile.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:Lagouile.
Going back to the early Spyderco era in the mid to late 90s all the way back to the old "IRONSTONE" days. When they were selling that "Lagouille" brand as well as "Moki", G-sakai, Solo and a couple of others. I'm doubtful if any Sprint Runs could be done on any of those models being that they were made by other companies. There were some of the Solo, Moki and especially G-Sakai models that I really liked.

But the reality is that Spyderco has so many great past models that they could do Sprint Runs of and those would be high in demand. I'm doubtful if any of the newer Forum members and new Spyderco enthusiasts would be interested in any of those much older models that Spyderco simply marketed for those other Japanese companies.

Yeah myself I want to concentrate on the past Spyderco models. The only Byrd model I would even be interested in for Sprint Run in premium materials would be the "Crossbill". But I would love a G-10 Harpy much, much more than I would a Sprint run of the Crossbill.