My new Gayle Bradley just arrived

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

My new Gayle Bradley just arrived

Post by Tucson Tom »

I wouldn't write something like this for each and every new knife I receive. And I generally deplore "reviews" by somebody who has just received a knife. But this knife is unique and interesting, so here we go.

This all started because the idea got lodged in my mind that I had to have a knife with M4 blade steel. I have missed a number of interesting sprints, but in many ways this worked out well since it led me to this knife. I read a lot of reviews and confronted the issue of the original Gayle Bradley versus the Gayle Bradley 2. My conclusion on this (without owning the GB2) is that these are quite different knives and really ought to be considered each on their own. What appealed to me about the original is that it is quirky and unique. I like the idea of a heavy "hard use" folder that isn't "tactical" and that actually looks kind of svelte. People whined endlessly about the scales not extending to the liners (which is actually part of the design, not a flaw). It feels good in my hand and I kind of like a knife with some "bite" to it when I grab onto it. People also whined about how hard it is to close the knife -- but I am all about a knife that is easy to open and hard to close. If you want something to fiddle with while you watch TV, buy a fidget spinner and save some money.

So I am quite pleased with choosing the original model. I could see someday also buying the new GB-2. As people say it is more "mainstream", and still with M4 steel. To me it looks a lot like an upscale Benchmade griptillian (which happens to be my favorite Benchmade, if you buy the version with a hole instead of a stud).

The knife itself is a work of art. It is amazing the quality of work in this knife from Taichung, Taiwan. My hat is off to those guys in Taiwan. The blade is "sneaky sharp". You don't realize just how sharp it is until you start cutting things with it. I am only a day into that, but people say that M4 steel, and especially the M4 as Spyderco heat treats it is just an amazing steel, so I have high hopes.

Reviews emphasized that this is a "cutter" and not a tactical knife. The main reason is the lack of a choil to keep your hand from sliding up onto the blade on a thrusting cut. If your line of work requires you to be stabbing people on a regular basis, you should choose a different knife - even the newer GB-2 will serve you better. But I understand and am OK with all of that and can't remember the last time I needed to stab anyone. Along this line though I will mention something I heard recently. Namely someone at an emergency room said that when they treat someone for a knife wound they generally end up treating two people: the stabber and the stabbee. I guess it is amazingly common for the person holding a knife in a fight to have their hand slide up onto the blade and their hand to be badly cut. Makes you evaluate choils on knives in a different light. So I will restrain my stabbing urges while carrying the Gayle Bradley 1.

Actually the deciding factor on choosing the original over the Gayle Bradley 2 was the lanyard hole. Gotta have a lanyard hole. ;)
mrtodd777

Re: My new Gayle Bradley just arrived

Post by mrtodd777 »

Great write up on a great knife. I own both and while I absolutely love the original GB, I prefer to carry the GB 2 most days. I know I am in the minority here, but it suits my needs a little better. But gosh, what awesome knives. Both of them. What you get for the price is absurd. The materials, design, and fit and finish are miles above the price.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Nice write, thanks for sharing.
I deeply regret selling mine and the GB1 is ridiculously hard to find at a decent price in Europe.

I really like Spyderco take on the cpm m4, I would say it is one of my favourite steels, so far never had issues with rust either.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Congrats on your new knife! I have said this in multiple threads but my GB1 is one of my all time favorite knives. For the price point the F&F is absolutely spectacular and, in my experience, on par with much more expensive knives. It is also rugged and built like a tank. I think that you could hurl the thing like a rock and not hurt it. With just light maintenance I have never had any problems with corrosion and it slices like a beast. It is short, quirky and absolutely awesome.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

The GB1 is the only knife that I bought two of just to have a spare.
Eee

Post by Eee »

I could be wrong, having not handled a GB2, but it seems to remove many of the bits Iike most about the GB1. I sold my Sebenza because it couldn't stand the comparison to the GB1, so you can safely say it's one of my favourites
JenWrath

Post by JenWrath »

Congratulations!

I love everything about this knife - not just because my fiancee got me it for christmas last year ;p I love that it unashamedly emphasizes and was built to do one thing and does it exceptionally well.

I'm planning on buying a second one that I won't tend to baby so much - I'm not worried about the steel not being up to a task, but it often doesn't travel far from my property for fear of misplacing it somewhere.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Tucson Tom wrote:IMy conclusion on this (without owning the GB2) is that these are quite different knives and really ought to be considered each on their own.
I came to the same conclusion. I got them both, fully expecting to like the GB2 better. It is more attractive, and was more flickable. If it was the only one I held, I would have been pleased with it.

But side by side, I had to go with the GB1. It's a tank, and a very different knife. I like how it's almost like a puuko in letting your hand get right next to the blade for power cuts. Fantastic knife in a fantastic steel.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

One thing about the Gayle Bradley 1 (and one of the things that influenced me).

The people who like the knife are passionate about it!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

And a hollow ground blade. Something that I think works very well and you don't see often on Spydercos.