Back After a Few Years... Thoughts on LW Knives.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Azad

Back After a Few Years... Thoughts on LW Knives.

Post by Azad »

After a few years away from the forum I'm back.

The Kris, Persians and Shabaria all gone to cover vet bills. Some days I regret it, but it bought me more time with my faithful companion. On a brighter note, I just received my first Spyderco knife after many years. Two in fact; an orange Native LW and an orange Manix 2 LW. Judgement... I think the LW knives aren't for me. I thought it would be a boon to have more knife for less weight but it feels so strange in my hand. I can't be the only one right?
bearfacedkiller

Re: Back After a Few Years... Thoughts on LW Knives.

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome back!

It is personal preference. Some like them and some do not.

I suggest you give them time, they may grow on you. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Azad

Post by Azad »

Won't be the first time I've bought and shelved knives but I'll give it a go. The Native feels slightly less offensive. The Manix feels totally off. My rotation consists of a purple Delica, a Para (older version) and a Native (non-FFG). Actually come to think of it I don't rotate knives, I only have 3 pairs of jeans in my wardrobe. Each assigned a specific knife.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Carry them for a week, then put another knife in your pocket and realize you have been carrying a brick.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I lean toward heft, but I draw the limit at bricks.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Azad

Post by Azad »

wrdwrght wrote:I lean toward heft, but I draw the limit at bricks.

Agree, I think there's a sweetspot. I'm willing to experiment though. You know, for Science and stuff.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I agree. Those two LW's didn't do it for me, either. Fortunately, a dozen or so others do, as I'm sure more will in the future...
jdw

Post by jdw »

I like and carry my LW knives but I consider them relatively disposable. Most of my LW (with two or three exceptions) I use for yard work or other tasks that I know are going to eat the blade. I prefer something more solid for kicking around the great outdoors or a task that I need to be serious about....Welcome back. As you already know, there are a lot of nice folks around here.

Edit: Relative to destroying a $200 Military or $150 M2 ;)
Last edited by jdw on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

LW Native is a gem. The G10 version is a bit much for what it is. The Manix 2 I probably agree with you on.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It isn't so much that I don't like the LW's, I just prefer the feeling of G10. I'm hoping we see more linerless G10 models.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Slice 'n dice

Post by Slice 'n dice »

I generally like linerless LW knives that have under 3" blade length (Dragonfly, Urban, Roadie, Manbug ETC). For hard use knives I do like linered G10. I don't like linered FRN.
Grasshopper 3CR, Dragonfly 2 H1, Tenacious 8CR13MOV, ParaMilitary 2 CPM S110V, Small Paring Knife MBS-26, Roadie N690Co, Urban K390, Baliyo Grey, Manbug HAP40.
animportant

Post by animportant »

I love the LW's! They disappear in the pocket and perform folder tasks perfectly. I carry a fixed blade in my pack if I need to get serious work done. However, I have no fear using any of my M2 LW's!
Koop

Post by Koop »

The Manix 2 LW (CTS-XHP) has taken over my pocket space. I don't see it losing it's EDC position until I spend time in a jurisdiction that requires me to carry a shorter blade. Then the Delica or the Para 3 is likely to take over. I don't mind lightweight at all.
PM2 Camo DLC S30V - Chaparral XHP - Delica 4 VG-10 -Manix 2 LW CTS BD1 - Manix 2 LW KC Exclusive XHP - Tenacious 8Cr13MoV - Dragonfly VG10 - PM3 Sprint Cruwear Light Gray G10 - K08 Santoku
kvnlau7

Post by kvnlau7 »

I personally dont like LW for the following reason:
I personally dont need a super LW knife. I live in a urban area i carry a knife in my pocket and im never really conscious about weight , im not a like a mountaineer or a rock climber where every ounce counts. To me LW doens't provide the same grip as G10 or peel ply carbon fiber and it feels cheap.

I do see a target audience for LW. people that rather not spend another 30$ for a g10 version cause if we are honest LW knives are probably just as strong as non LW knives. And for those weight conscious people where their job needs a as LW as possible load out.
Check out my IG: Kvnlau7
Also known as kvnlau7 on bladeforums
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

araneae wrote:Carry them for a week, then put another knife in your pocket and realize you have been carrying a brick.
Exactly. I hold a Buck 110 or Ranger now and am amazed how bloody heavy they are. I like them. They're just. Ricks to me after carrying and loving lightweights.
- best wishes, Jazz.
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

A LW Manix 2 is my constant home companion even though I dislike the steel, I'll probably upgrade to a S110V LW version at some point. I love the G10 Manix 2 but it's just too heavy for basketball shorts. I didn't like it at first but the LW grew on me I guess. I still carry my DLC Manix 2 at work a lot even though it weighs 2 more ounces. S30V just works better for a work knife.

It seems to me that many are either PM2 guys or Manix 2 guys. If you like the PM2 more, I thought I'd heard about a LW version maybe being in the works?
anycal

Post by anycal »

jdw wrote:I like and carry my LW knives but I consider them relatively disposable. Most of my LW (with two or three exceptions) I use for yard work or other tasks that I know are going to eat the blade. I prefer something more solid for kicking around the great outdoors or a task that I need to be serious about....Welcome back. As you already know, there are a lot of nice folks around here.
Not quite disposable, but I would agree. I do things with my LW knives (Native and Manix) I'd rather not do with the others. They are easy to carry due to LW. And, they are generally cheaper so I don't mind as much if they get dinged up.

That said, a lot of nice LW knives out there with a variety of great steels.
Peter
Azad

Post by Azad »

I guess the FRN in use now is also a slightly harder. Probably necessary because of the lack of steel liners for hardware screws. Haven't seen disassembly pics yet but I'm guessing captured nuts? The feel is different, that's for sure. I actually like the steel liners on my FRN knives. I'm probably in the minority here. That said, I got S90V for less than a $100. That's hard to beat. I'm no steel snob though. I like and prefer VG10. Doesn't chip, nice polish and very resistant to surface rust.

Question, can the blade on a LW native be swapped into an older Native handle?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Azad,

No, different engineering.

sal
Azad

Post by Azad »

sal wrote:Hi Azad,

No, different engineering.

sal
Thanks Mr Glesser. Appreciate the info.