mad german wrote: attila wrote: mad german wrote: attila wrote:
For those who are interested, I dyed my CPM Cruwear Para 3 today. It took roughly 15 minutes to achieve this hue using the Racing Red RIT DyeMore dye. I only used about 1 oz of the 7 oz bottle with just enough water to cover my scales, and the remainder of what I used would be sufficient for dying at least one more item. My first lesson was that a little goes a long way.
Another interesting thing is that the rough surfaces took the dye much better than the smooth surfaces. It came out well, tho, since the smooth surfaces are hidden.
The last thing I noticed was that at first when I didn't boil the solution the dye only penetrated very lightly. Once I simmered the concoction and flipped the item regularly, the dye really took.
I hope this helps someone's decisions as previous discussions helped mine.
That looks great. How close is the final outcome to the color on the bottle of dye? What was your mixture of water/vinegar/dye? Did the scales rest on the bottom of the pot, or were they suspended?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
With regard to the color vs the bottle, here are two pictures to show the difference in artificial light since the sun is hiding at the moment:
Using the synthetic-fabric dye, I aimed to use only about an 1/7th of the bottle (~1 oz) and only added enough Brita filtered water to cover the part while simmering (<2 cups total liquid).
When I dyed the scales, I didn't disassemble the G10 from the stainless liners or lanyard tube because of the flaring of the tube. Coupled with the small liquid volume I chose to use, I simply flipped the scales every 30-60 seconds while simmering to keep the dying even.
I could easily have suspended them if I had used the whole bottle of dye, but then I'd have wasted the vast majority of the dye on one knife. I figured there was a more frugal approach, and it seems to have worked out alright.
I hope this is clear enough to help your project!
Thanks so much. I'm worried about the lanyard tube as well. I hate to mess it up, but I've heard of guys being able to pop it off, it supposedly just takes some work. I'll have to make this a winter project.
How much does the water/vinegar mix affect the quality of the dye job? I've seen all sorts of various mixtures being used.
Forget the vinegar. This liquid RIT DyeMore doesn't call for it.
With regard to concentration, i only did one set of scales and the concentration was fine. My ratio of dye to water was roughly 1:10 to 1:15, so a little goes a long way.
Own: VG-10 Delica, Old S30V Native, modified Breeden Rescue, VG-10 Delica, HAP40 Endura, ZDP-189 DF2, S110V Manix LW,Pakkawood Delica, Cruwear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, M4 Manix 2, HAP40 Caly 3, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, Pakkawood DF2, Cruwear PM2, SE Pacific Salt, HAP40 Jazzlica, S110V Native, P.I.T.S., DLC Manix 2, REX 45 PM2, Para 3, XHP Manix LW, Superblue Caly 3, 20CV PM2, Rhino, SB Calypso Jr., B70P, PMA11, K03, G10 ZDP-189 Stretch 2, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, 204p PM2, Swick, Supergold Delica, backlock Lil'Native, AEB-L Urban, HAP40 Stretch, KC Cruwear Manix 2, Cruwear Military, M390 PM2, Cruwear Delica, 4V Lil'Native, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Para 3 LW, M390 Manix 2, K390 Police 4, RexWood Shaman, DLC Cruwear Shaman, Rex 45 Manix 2, Native 5, Native LW.
Waiting for: K490, Swick 5, and something purple.