Calling all Canadians - Canadian knife discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Calling all Canadians - Canadian knife discussion

Post by sal »

Red is not longer reserved for trainers.

Hi Mr. B,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

kensei wrote:How about a folding variant of D. H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife?

I have always loved the shape and how the belly of the blade clears the knuckles in use...

This was the first knife that popped to mind at the mention of Canadian.

Don't think I have ever seen a folding version of this knife done before...

The ergonomics are really good... although the overall shape does take a bit getting used to...
There has absolutely been a folding version of the DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife. It is made by Grohmann and it is even made in Canada. It comes in two sizes. This was the first knife that came to my mind when this idea was suggested. I wonder what Sal's version of this would be like. I am not Canadian (but have Canadian roots ;) ) so I would like the Canadian members to get what they would like and not what I want for a tribute knife. I do think that Sal could consider this in the future for a possible ethnic series knife. Could be cool.

It was Mr Grohmann who made DH Russell's original knife. The first Canadian Belt Knife was called the Grohmann #1.

Here are the two folders.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

flasharry wrote:Well..
I;d be might pleased with either of these, based on the upcoming (and I want!) One Eyed Jack.. With the filework, and a red liner spacer, yeah, it;d work , methinks....

That is really nice. I like that better than the original.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Thanks Doc.. It was fun mocking those 2 designs up...
Cheers
Harold
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

Late to the party......however......
Small but elegant Red Maple Leaf countersunk on one or both sides of Black G10 scales.
Add say ......a 3" - 3 1/2" blade.
Steel?
Leave that to Sal.....
I'm not a steel expert by any stretch.

And yes,
Attachments
Facebook_CoverPhoto.jpg
Facebook_CoverPhoto.jpg (23.51 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
North of 49
kensei

Post by kensei »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

I have always loved the shape and how the belly of the blade clears the knuckles in use...

The ergonomics are really good... although the overall shape does take a bit getting used to...
There has absolutely been a folding version of the DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife. It is made by Grohmann and it is even made in Canada. It comes in two sizes. This was the first knife that came to my mind when this idea was suggested. I wonder what Sal's version of this would be like. I am not Canadian (but have Canadian roots ;) ) so I would like the Canadian members to get what they would like and not what I want for a tribute knife. I do think that Sal could consider this in the future for a possible ethnic series knife. Could be cool.

It was Mr Grohmann who made DH Russell's original knife. The first Canadian Belt Knife was called the Grohmann #1.

Thanks Darby for the correction and heads up! I am not Canadian as well but couldn't help piping up at the title. Like you I would be curious about Sal's interpretation of a Canadian Belt Knife would be like. I notice the folders you posted have a broader index finger groove compared to the fixed blade. I think this would make the knife less nimble to use...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I find a narrower area in the index finger area harder to use.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Those look great and very Canadian. I would buy one for sure. Nice spear/leaf blade with a subtle point.
sal

Post by sal »

While I am not opposed to any concept, I would like to see more what Canadian knife afi's consider THEIR idea of a Canadian knife that would be unique to their country.

sal
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

While the Grohmann's may be the Canadian design on paper, in practice I've never seen one. I've seen more bowies than anything else in the field. Buck 110's and 119's, and their like from Ontario, Kabar, etc. Whitetail deer is the largest game around. Most have no use for a larger knife. Likely most edc's are Victorinox or some sort of multi tool. Then again, it's a big country. I'm in Southwestern Ontario, where if it were not for the signage, you would not be blamed for thinking you were in Michigan, Ohio, or anywhere around the lower great lakes really, south of the shield. Maybe it's different out West, in the Maritimes, Quebec or way up in the North. From what I have seen, we would be looking at some sort of bowie/clip point/trailing point.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

sal wrote:While I am not opposed to any concept, I would like to see more what Canadian knife afi's consider THEIR idea of a Canadian knife that would be unique to their country.

sal
Hi Sal... FYI.. I'm in Calgary, Alberta... definitely Canadian... to me the ideal blade shape would be Wharnecliffe or Sheepsfoot, under 3 inches - Lockback would be my choice, but would make it Canadian for me would be a white handle with red maple leaf, sort of like the ones I mocked up..
Steel? I'm not a steel expert of any sort, but stainless, easy to sharpen with decent edge retention would be all I would ask for...
Thanks
Harold
qazy

Post by qazy »

To me a Canadian knife is a nice Axe!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like how you're thinking, Harry. I like the white with maple leaf better than the whole flag, but that inlay would get expensive. I like the idea of a back lock wharnie or sheepsfoot, 3" blade. I also like the idea of a nice clip point blade. Spyderco needs one in the lineup. One with not too delicate of a point. Now I want to doodle some.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bacmapei

Post by bacmapei »

I think it would be difficult to assemble a representative knife all Canadian knife lovers/users/collectors would fully support. We seem to have reasonable carry laws; however, I am not personally interested in fixed blades or even larger (3.5+ inches) folders. So even my own personal preferences would influence my interest in such a purchase. Best bet is to focus on patriotism with the design elements, maybe include a challenge coin or token sourced from the Royal Canadian Mint.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bacmapei,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I've been thinking... I know, right? Anyway, what is a Canadian knife? Pretty much what an American knife is. I've grown up with clip points, drop points, and sheepsfoot blades, as we all have. I thought about flashharry and Kingrat's thoughts on the matter. So... I drew out 2 ideas for y'all to ponder.

I like them both, but really like the clip point. It has a nice swedge. They are the same length as the Delica. I adjusted the finger grooves to better fit our hands. The clip point has a groove to better get at the opening hole, because of its design. They are FFG, and I'm thinking 3mm thick blades, like the Caly3. They are peel ply G10 (I'd prefer FRN, but you know how it goes, by now), either skeletonized liners or solid G10 (I'd prefer solid G10), and either black or a nice Canadian flag red. The subtle maple leaf should hit the clip contact spot.

What do you think?

- best wishes, Jazz.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I like. We could even go delica & endura size, like the recent Pakka wood HAP40's, to meet most folk's size preference.

Scale possibilities: Some maple with bolsters (extra fancy!), G10 (red?, white?, both?, some sort of natural colour (brown, tan), arctic camo?), or FRN (same colours).
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Jazz. I like that second one.. A Delica 4 would make a good starting point in terms of size, also... And while thinking on this, perhaps the Chaparral would be a good base, all it would need would be a new set of outer scales, perhaps in several variations on the Canuck theme...
Hey-you

Post by Hey-you »

So hello, actually had to sign up to comment on this, rather than just reading. Greetings to all.

Rather than proposing an actual sketch or design, I thought I'd comment on some of what I'd view as the characteristics of a Canadian knife which might actually drive certain design choices or comments.

So without further comment:
A knife that would be useful both in work and general life, so cutting rope to cutting apples.
Something that can happily be carried everyday of the week without fuss.
Something that can be used in both urban and rural settings.
Something that can cut well an object in your hand or on a board/surface.

The image that springs to mind is a older knife that my grandad used to carry... without fanfare or fuss to cut everything from string to the steak accompanied by a blunt serrated steak knife.... this was an under 3 inches either modified wharncliff or drop point blade (after sharpening I presume the sharp changed so who knows what it started as) folding knife that was a subdued colour.

So these ideas lead me to the following:
Under 3 inches, while not restricted it's easily accepted.
Folding.
Flat grind.
Blade shape that definitely has curve to it.
Not high stress to sharpen.

So, a knife that could be described as quiet but useful... a bit like how Canada may be viewed from the outside or in international politics.

While, this may have been a longer first post, hopefully it can stimulate this conversation. Thoughts?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Non Canadian weighing in***

If you used the Native 5 handle as your base, you get FRN which Jazz wanted, and better steel selection in Golden.

I can be quiet now.