Caly Jr. Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Japanese blade steel of choice for Caly Jr. Sprint?

Superblue
38%
VG-10
6%
HAP-40
22%
ZDP-189
7%
MBS-26
1%
Damascus
3%
Cobalt Special
2%
White Steel
12%
H1
4%
Other
6%

Total votes: 234

elena86

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Post by elena86 »

Donut wrote:Here is my summary on Super Blue. I don't think it has a ton of carbides, it sharpens very easily, it takes a very fine edge (unlike anything I've ever used), it stains like crazy (5 minutes with the wrong stuff on the blade and it will be stained), it seems to hold an edge well, but I don't use it for heavy use. I consider it pretty awesome for a Gent's knife. It is perfect on the Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 and should be awesome on a Caly Jr.

I wonder if it is going to be clad or not.
Me too, but it seems it's solid superblue...which is not good IMO
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Donut wrote:Here is my summary on Super Blue. I don't think it has a ton of carbides, it sharpens very easily, it takes a very fine edge (unlike anything I've ever used), it stains like crazy (5 minutes with the wrong stuff on the blade and it will be stained), it seems to hold an edge well, but I don't use it for heavy use. I consider it pretty awesome for a Gent's knife. It is perfect on the Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 and should be awesome on a Caly Jr.

I wonder if it is going to be clad or not.
I certainly hope it will be unclad just like the other Caly models. Either way it will not sway me. Multiples on preorder for me now. I just hope all the Sprints dont drop at once. #Spydieholicproblems
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WAS excited about this knife but missed the SB steel.. NOT a fan of SB so looks like a pass on thisun.. :( John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

LOL, three different opinions.

I think Super Blue is a pretty sweet steel, especially for a knife like this. It does take some care as it isn't stainless. It's far from stainless.

By the way, I think we still don't know. The Seki City ones were listed as Super Blue and we didn't find out it was clad until a while later.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Donut wrote:LOL, three different opinions.

I think Super Blue is a pretty sweet steel, especially for a knife like this. It does take some care as it isn't stainless. It's far from stainless.

By the way, I think we still don't know. The Seki City ones were listed as Super Blue and we didn't find out it was clad until a while later.
Maybe someone from Spyderco crew will chime in....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Very happy about this!
Going back to Caly.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

If i hadn't said it in this thread yet, I am extremely happy that Sal heard our years of whinging and finally decided to pacify us. I am going to tell myself this thread pushed him over the limit. :D
Thank you Sal & Crew.
*Landon*
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Very excited about this one, SB has always been a favorite of mine, can't wait to add this one to my collection of numerous other SB gems.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm so glad Spyderco decided to do another sprint run of this model. I'm grateful for the opportunity to finally try Super Blue in this classic design. Previously, had little desire to own a Calypso Jr LW. After reading through this thread I think I'm more excited for this sprint run than any of the others. Now I find myself wishing I had been looking for good examples from the burgundy (ZDP) and grey (VG10) sprint runs.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sharp Guy wrote:I'm so glad Spyderco decided to do another sprint run of this model. I'm grateful for the opportunity to finally try Super Blue in this classic design. Previously, had little desire to own a Calypso Jr LW. After reading through this thread I think I'm more excited for this sprint run than any of the others. Now I find myself wishing I had been looking for good examples from the burgundy (ZDP) and grey (VG10) sprint runs.
They do still come up from time to time. Don't be discouraged, I have 8 Jrs and I always get excited when i see another one come up on the secondary market.
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Landon,
Congrats on your dream coming true.
I am not jealous. I have my dream - 2013 Forum Native :) (actually I have two of them. First is heavy used and has no belly. Second is mint.)
Sharp Guy wrote: Now I find myself wishing I had been looking for good examples from the burgundy (ZDP) and grey (VG10) sprint runs.
I am afraid that it will be difficult to find burgundy ZDP. This was the first ZDP Spyderco and crazy hot. Probably easier to find black ZDP model.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:Landon,
Congrats on your dream coming true.
I am not jealous. I have my dream - 2013 Forum Native :) (actually I have two of them. First is heavy used and has no belly. Second is mint.)
Sharp Guy wrote: Now I find myself wishing I had been looking for good examples from the burgundy (ZDP) and grey (VG10) sprint runs.
I am afraid that it will be difficult to find burgundy ZDP. This was the first ZDP Spyderco and crazy hot. Probably easier to find black ZDP model.
Thank you Roman. I will be sure to stock up when this one comes out. It will make a great knife to gift. I'm still searching for that second ZDP Burgundy model too SharpGuy, but I'll keep an eye out for you.
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

TomK wrote:Does anybody already received his Caly Jr. through Knife-Center?
Pretty sure they have not been released yet. KC tends to take Pre-Orders early and it can be months sometimes before the actual knife is ready to ship. Patience, if you stick around here, you will know when they hit the shelves. The chatter will be rampant.
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:LOL, three different opinions.

I think Super Blue would be a really colossal steel selection for a Caly Jr Sprint Run. But also wanting a full Spyderedged version in a Sprint Run I have no idea how SuperBlue would work in full Spyderedge?

My ultimate pick of a Caly Jr Sprint Run would be a plain edge in M390 and a Spyderedge in XHP.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

xceptnl wrote:
TomK wrote:Does anybody already received his Caly Jr. through Knife-Center?
Pretty sure they have not been released yet. KC tends to take Pre-Orders early and it can be months sometimes before the actual knife is ready to ship. Patience, if you stick around here, you will know when they hit the shelves. The chatter will be rampant.
..And KC will probably be among the last to get them, if at all :-/
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Is it too early to request the next Caly Jr Sprint? How about Green G10 with full liners and Hap40? A sibling to the current green Caly 3 sprint.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Bumping this one back up... still “patiently” waiting for this one. And by patiently I mean checking all of the normal online retailers daily.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

i am travvy wrote:Bumping this one back up... still “patiently” waiting for this one. And by patiently I mean checking all of the normal online retailers daily.
I am still patiently waiting, though i have given up on SMKW. I will pick a few of these up when they actually hit shelves
*Landon*
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Super excited on this one. Love my Caly 3.5 SB. It patinas up fast but then it's protected from heavier corrosion. YMMV
Price is right and at sub 3" it might be my "go anywhere, do anything" blade. Linerless G10 version next?!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Don't know if I missed it or not, is this a solid piece of superblue? I am usually wanting a non clad steel but if this one is pinned construction and I can't get to the pivot, I think clad would be best.