Caly Jr. Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Japanese blade steel of choice for Caly Jr. Sprint?

Superblue
89
38%
VG-10
15
6%
HAP-40
51
22%
ZDP-189
17
7%
MBS-26
2
1%
Damascus
7
3%
Cobalt Special
4
2%
White Steel
27
12%
H1
9
4%
Other
13
6%
 
Total votes: 234

User avatar
SpeedHoles
Member
Posts: 2725
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 am
Location: Mitten

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby SpeedHoles » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:39 pm

^ Tip-top trio there!


Here's some more shots to add to a good thread. :)

Image
Image
Image
Going back to Caly.

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8585
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby xceptnl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:42 pm

SpeedHoles wrote:^ Tip-top trio there!


Here's some more shots to add to a good thread. :)

Image
Image
Image
:spyder: *hearts*
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

murphjd25
Member
Posts: 2356
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Bothell,WA

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby murphjd25 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:47 pm

I’m going to carry my Burgundy Jr tomorrow :D
Josh

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8585
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby xceptnl » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Image

Image
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22077
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby Evil D » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Voted HAP40 and Other but only because I didn't see Superblue or that would have been my Other vote. Solid blades only please, not a fan of laminates. Fish scale FRN would be my preference just for nostalgia but what would put it over the top is G10 machined with the same pattern.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
pinepig2
Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Washington State

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby pinepig2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:49 am

Any Steel
1- B70P
2- RWL34

Japanese Steel
1- SRS15
2- HAP40, clad
3- VG10

Yes on the gold bugs!

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8585
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby xceptnl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:31 am

Evil D wrote:Voted HAP40 and Other but only because I didn't see Superblue or that would have been my Other vote. Solid blades only please, not a fan of laminates. Fish scale FRN would be my preference just for nostalgia but what would put it over the top is G10 machined with the same pattern.
You didnt actually see "Superblue" in the list or you don't see it's return as a possibility?
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22077
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby Evil D » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:21 am

xceptnl wrote:
Evil D wrote:Voted HAP40 and Other but only because I didn't see Superblue or that would have been my Other vote. Solid blades only please, not a fan of laminates. Fish scale FRN would be my preference just for nostalgia but what would put it over the top is G10 machined with the same pattern.
You didnt actually see "Superblue" in the list or you don't see it's return as a possibility?
I just overlooked it on the list.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
dialex
Member
Posts: 9167
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Campina, Romania, Europe, Terra
Contact:

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby dialex » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 pm

If I think well, I can do with H1, on the condition it comes with yellow handles... :D

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8585
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby xceptnl » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:32 am

dialex wrote:If I think well, I can do with H1, on the condition it comes with yellow handles... :D
Only if it comes PE, LC200N & yellow fish scales. We need more voters.
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

clovisc
Member
Posts: 4165
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:14 am
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby clovisc » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:37 pm

CALY JR SALT!!!

User avatar
jabba359
Member
Posts: 4869
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA U.S.A. Earth
Contact:

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby jabba359 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:36 am

Well, we voted and Spyderco listened. Super Blue won the poll and Super Blue is what we're getting. I think it's cool that Spyderco takes our suggestions seriously and then turns them into knives we get to own.
-Kyle

:spyder:
Latest arrivals: DLC M4 Shaman, Opus, Q Ball

http://www.spydiewiki.com

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2770
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby elena86 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:59 am

I can't tell from the pictures,does it have jimping and adjustable pivot ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8585
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby xceptnl » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:07 am

elena86 wrote:I can't tell from the pictures,does it have jimping and adjustable pivot ?
I can't tell either, but it doesn't appear to have jimping. The pivot could be adjustable because of CQI.

jabba359 wrote:Well, we voted and Spyderco listened. Super Blue won the poll and Super Blue is what we're getting. I think it's cool that Spyderco takes our suggestions seriously and then turns them into knives we get to own.
It is extremely cool.
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

vivi
Member
Posts: 7249
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby vivi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:42 am

elena86 wrote:I can't tell from the pictures,does it have jimping and adjustable pivot ?
og caly jrs had pinned pivots and no jimping. new ones looks the same based on photos but there could be a screw on the back side of the pivot.

no jimping and the more shallow finger choil are two of the things that set caly jr's apart from caly 3's.
Carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 SE | Siren | Police 4 LW | Police 4 K390 | C95 Manix foliage green | Manix XL M4 DLC | Street Beat LW | Aqua Salt

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8585
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby xceptnl » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:45 am

Vivi wrote:
elena86 wrote:I can't tell from the pictures,does it have jimping and adjustable pivot ?
og caly jrs had pinned pivots and no jimping. new ones looks the same based on photos but there could be a screw on the back side of the pivot.

no jimping and the more shallow finger choil are two of the things that set caly jr's apart from caly 3's.
Don't forget that swedge
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

vivi
Member
Posts: 7249
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby vivi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:47 am

xceptnl wrote:
Vivi wrote:
elena86 wrote:I can't tell from the pictures,does it have jimping and adjustable pivot ?
og caly jrs had pinned pivots and no jimping. new ones looks the same based on photos but there could be a screw on the back side of the pivot.

no jimping and the more shallow finger choil are two of the things that set caly jr's apart from caly 3's.
Don't forget that swedge
Yep...the swedge, fish scale FRN, tip down carry....and IIRC the caly 3 and 3.5 lacked the sharpening choil on the jr.
Carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 SE | Siren | Police 4 LW | Police 4 K390 | C95 Manix foliage green | Manix XL M4 DLC | Street Beat LW | Aqua Salt

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 2179
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby curlyhairedboy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 am

How is super blue in comparison to say... m4?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Waterway, Tanto PM2, CQI Kapara
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, Pac Salt 2 LC200n, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

Nate
Member
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:25 am
Location: Hurtling through space...

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby Nate » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks Sal for making this happen!!!

To those asking about updates, CQI, etc..., I don't have any inside info, but would expect it to be identical to prior runs. Iirc, having no changes to the old tooling was pretty much a prerequisite for making this happen.

CHB, hopefully someone else would post a better answer, but I wouldn't say Super Blue has a lot in common with M4, maybe more like 52100 with some added wear resistance?
:spyder:

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9359
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Postby Donut » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 am

Here is my summary on Super Blue. I don't think it has a ton of carbides, it sharpens very easily, it takes a very fine edge (unlike anything I've ever used), it stains like crazy (5 minutes with the wrong stuff on the blade and it will be stained), it seems to hold an edge well, but I don't use it for heavy use. I consider it pretty awesome for a Gent's knife. It is perfect on the Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 and should be awesome on a Caly Jr.

I wonder if it is going to be clad or not.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: araneae, Bamalt1, kennethsime, kurt_r, spoonrobot, tyd450 and 42 guests