Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see Spyderco produce a sprint run Temperance 2 in Hap-40?

Yes
65%
No
20%
Maybe/I Don't Care
15%

Total votes: 46

captnvegtble

Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Post by captnvegtble »

The Temperance 2 fixed blade is such a beautifully crafted knife, but I've been putting off buying it because I don't care for buying a VG-10 fixed blade. I would jump on it in a second if it was in a non-stainless steel like Hap40. In fact, I'd love to see Spyderco produce more Carbon steel fixed blades. The Bushcraft (O1 steel) is awesome and one of my favorites. I'm curious how much interest there would be in for a Temp 2 in Hap 40?
Mr.B.

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Post by Mr.B. »

I say yes. Probably it would be a laminated blade ?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Being an avid and borderline fanatical fan of the TEMP 1 and with that being said it goes without saying that I also admire the TEMP 2 as well>> but the two blade steels I would to see it in would be M390 and/or M-4. Also I wouldn't turn away from a TEMP 2 made with XHP either.

Long live the TEMP 1 and TEMP 2 both. The handles are near perfect and the blades are eloquent designs. Enough said
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Who voted no?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

JD Spydo wrote:Being an avid and borderline fanatical fan of the TEMP 1 and with that being said it goes without saying that I also admire the TEMP 2 as well>> but the two blade steels I would to see it in would be M390 and/or M-4. Also I wouldn't turn away from a TEMP 2 made with XHP either.

Long live the TEMP 1 and TEMP 2 both. The handles are near perfect and the blades are eloquent designs. Enough said
Because the Temp2 is made in Japan, Hap40 seemed like more of a possibility than non-Japanese steels (like M390 or M4). The Temp2 seems like the perfect fixed blade to try Hap40 on.

I also found it interesting that Hap40 looks like it's starting to make its way into Japanese kitchen cutlery:
https://japanesechefsknife.com/collecti ... tool-steel
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Mr.B. wrote:I say yes. Probably it would be a laminated blade ?
All the Hap40 I've seen has been laminated. Not sure why, or if a solid stock is possible. I like the lamination... adds a bit of style and helps to keep the pivot area, tang, etc rust free.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

White Paper Steel...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If they did this, I would have a preference for K390.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i rather prefer cruwear or lc200n
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry to disappoint, but it's not likely at this time. In fact the Temperance 2's long term future is in question.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Well, it has been on my list for quite a while. Sounds like it just moved it's way up near the top of the list. I will definitely be finding a way to get one before they are gone.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Stuart Ackerman

Remove the hump, drop the hole lower, and rename it the "Emperor" or such like...

FRN handle injection molded?

Or Even FRN scales pinned or screwed in place...
That way owners can flik-flak with scales depending on it's use?
Stuart Ackerman

...and VG10 is just sweet as honey... :)
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:Sorry to disappoint, but it's not likely at this time. In fact the Temperance 2's long term future is in question.

sal
:eek:

Well, thanks Sal for chiming in before this went too far. Sorry to hear that the Temp2 might be on the chopping block.
JenWrath

Post by JenWrath »

The Temp2 does seem out of place in the lineup. Not to insult any fans of it, of course.

I've always gotten the impression that the fixed blades aren't nearly as popular the folders and that the main reason to get a spydie fixed blade is to pick up one of the custom collabs - getting access to a custom design at a production price, with the piece of mind that it's Spyderco producing said piece.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

JenWrath wrote:The Temp2 does seem out of place in the lineup. Not to insult any fans of it, of course.

I've always gotten the impression that the fixed blades aren't nearly as popular the folders and that the main reason to get a spydie fixed blade is to pick up one of the custom collabs - getting access to a custom design at a production price, with the piece of mind that it's Spyderco producing said piece.
As someone who has owned several Spyderco fixed blades, I have to say that I disagree with your statement that the Temp2 is out of place (because it's not a collaboration). Yes, Spyderco has done a bunch of collaborations, but their own in-house designs are fantastic, and known to be very ergonomic and functional knives... I suspect the Temp2 is in that category (I don't own one, yet). Their Enuff series is great... small and ergonomic. The Bushcraft is one of the best fixed blades I've ever handled. Their Aqua Salt is also one of my favorites and the most versatile fixed blade I own. If the Temp2 is discontinued, I'll have to get one, but I would much prefer a different steel... doesn't need to be a "super steel", but I like the Carbon steels like Hap40 better.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

This is an old thread, I know... but if there is one knife I wish Spyderco would make, a carbon steel temp 2 would be it.

I have two in vg10. One is backup. And one has seen about 4 years of outdoor and kitchen use. I have an active outdoor lifestyle, and it’s been used and sharpened a lot. I then to reach for the T2 much more often than my 20+ other fixed blades. Every time I pick it up it’s like my hand is coming home. I love the worn-smooth, perfectly shaped handle. It has been at my side during years of hikes, hunts, fishing trips, camping trips, and motorcycle trips. Never have I had a knife I loved more.

I think the temp 2 would shine in a hard carbon steel, because the edge would support leaner geometry than vg10. I like vg 10 quite a bit. But the idea of a temp 2 that is ground thin in an easy sharpening carbon steel makes me drool.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy it in K390 for sure.

Not sure about HAP40, but I'd be interested in that one too.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I’d buy it in something cheap like O1. Or 52100. Or even 1095 if it were done hard.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

52100 --- yessir indeed.