Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see Spyderco produce a sprint run Temperance 2 in Hap-40?

Yes
30
65%
No
9
20%
Maybe/I Don't Care
7
15%
 
Total votes: 46

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby captnvegtble » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:00 pm

The Temperance 2 fixed blade is such a beautifully crafted knife, but I've been putting off buying it because I don't care for buying a VG-10 fixed blade. I would jump on it in a second if it was in a non-stainless steel like Hap40. In fact, I'd love to see Spyderco produce more Carbon steel fixed blades. The Bushcraft (O1 steel) is awesome and one of my favorites. I'm curious how much interest there would be in for a Temp 2 in Hap 40?

Mr.B.
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby Mr.B. » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:25 pm

I say yes. Probably it would be a laminated blade ?

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19266
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby JD Spydo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Being an avid and borderline fanatical fan of the TEMP 1 and with that being said it goes without saying that I also admire the TEMP 2 as well>> but the two blade steels I would to see it in would be M390 and/or M-4. Also I wouldn't turn away from a TEMP 2 made with XHP either.

Long live the TEMP 1 and TEMP 2 both. The handles are near perfect and the blades are eloquent designs. Enough said

User avatar
Archimedes
Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Nor Cal

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby Archimedes » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Who voted no?

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby captnvegtble » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:50 pm

JD Spydo wrote:Being an avid and borderline fanatical fan of the TEMP 1 and with that being said it goes without saying that I also admire the TEMP 2 as well>> but the two blade steels I would to see it in would be M390 and/or M-4. Also I wouldn't turn away from a TEMP 2 made with XHP either.

Long live the TEMP 1 and TEMP 2 both. The handles are near perfect and the blades are eloquent designs. Enough said
Because the Temp2 is made in Japan, Hap40 seemed like more of a possibility than non-Japanese steels (like M390 or M4). The Temp2 seems like the perfect fixed blade to try Hap40 on.

I also found it interesting that Hap40 looks like it's starting to make its way into Japanese kitchen cutlery:
https://japanesechefsknife.com/collecti ... tool-steel

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby captnvegtble » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Mr.B. wrote:I say yes. Probably it would be a laminated blade ?
All the Hap40 I've seen has been laminated. Not sure why, or if a solid stock is possible. I like the lamination... adds a bit of style and helps to keep the pivot area, tang, etc rust free.

User avatar
Stuart Ackerman
Member
Posts: 1867
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby Stuart Ackerman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 pm

White Paper Steel...

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9481
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby Doc Dan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 am

If they did this, I would have a preference for K390.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
npad69
Member
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 pm
Location: Palawan, Philippines

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby npad69 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:07 am

i rather prefer cruwear or lc200n

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13654
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby sal » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Sorry to disappoint, but it's not likely at this time. In fact the Temperance 2's long term future is in question.

sal

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9830
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby bearfacedkiller » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 pm

Well, it has been on my list for quite a while. Sounds like it just moved it's way up near the top of the list. I will definitely be finding a way to get one before they are gone.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Stuart Ackerman
Member
Posts: 1867
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby Stuart Ackerman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Remove the hump, drop the hole lower, and rename it the "Emperor" or such like...

FRN handle injection molded?

Or Even FRN scales pinned or screwed in place...
That way owners can flik-flak with scales depending on it's use?

User avatar
Stuart Ackerman
Member
Posts: 1867
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby Stuart Ackerman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:51 pm

...and VG10 is just sweet as honey... :)

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby captnvegtble » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:39 pm

sal wrote:Sorry to disappoint, but it's not likely at this time. In fact the Temperance 2's long term future is in question.

sal
:eek:

Well, thanks Sal for chiming in before this went too far. Sorry to hear that the Temp2 might be on the chopping block.

JenWrath
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby JenWrath » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 am

The Temp2 does seem out of place in the lineup. Not to insult any fans of it, of course.

I've always gotten the impression that the fixed blades aren't nearly as popular the folders and that the main reason to get a spydie fixed blade is to pick up one of the custom collabs - getting access to a custom design at a production price, with the piece of mind that it's Spyderco producing said piece.

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby captnvegtble » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:08 pm

JenWrath wrote:The Temp2 does seem out of place in the lineup. Not to insult any fans of it, of course.

I've always gotten the impression that the fixed blades aren't nearly as popular the folders and that the main reason to get a spydie fixed blade is to pick up one of the custom collabs - getting access to a custom design at a production price, with the piece of mind that it's Spyderco producing said piece.
As someone who has owned several Spyderco fixed blades, I have to say that I disagree with your statement that the Temp2 is out of place (because it's not a collaboration). Yes, Spyderco has done a bunch of collaborations, but their own in-house designs are fantastic, and known to be very ergonomic and functional knives... I suspect the Temp2 is in that category (I don't own one, yet). Their Enuff series is great... small and ergonomic. The Bushcraft is one of the best fixed blades I've ever handled. Their Aqua Salt is also one of my favorites and the most versatile fixed blade I own. If the Temp2 is discontinued, I'll have to get one, but I would much prefer a different steel... doesn't need to be a "super steel", but I like the Carbon steels like Hap40 better.

Matt Deaner
Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby Matt Deaner » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:22 pm

This is an old thread, I know... but if there is one knife I wish Spyderco would make, a carbon steel temp 2 would be it.

I have two in vg10. One is backup. And one has seen about 4 years of outdoor and kitchen use. I have an active outdoor lifestyle, and it’s been used and sharpened a lot. I then to reach for the T2 much more often than my 20+ other fixed blades. Every time I pick it up it’s like my hand is coming home. I love the worn-smooth, perfectly shaped handle. It has been at my side during years of hikes, hunts, fishing trips, camping trips, and motorcycle trips. Never have I had a knife I loved more.

I think the temp 2 would shine in a hard carbon steel, because the edge would support leaner geometry than vg10. I like vg 10 quite a bit. But the idea of a temp 2 that is ground thin in an easy sharpening carbon steel makes me drool.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4534
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby TomAiello » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:40 pm

I'd buy it in K390 for sure.

Not sure about HAP40, but I'd be interested in that one too.

Matt Deaner
Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby Matt Deaner » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:43 pm

I’d buy it in something cheap like O1. Or 52100. Or even 1095 if it were done hard.

User avatar
Tucson Tom
Member
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 pm
Location: Somewhere in Arizona

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Postby Tucson Tom » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:40 pm

52100 --- yessir indeed.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Accutron, Albatross, Bing [Bot], bob7, crow2071, Engineer88, Google [Bot], negative d, RustyIron, vivi, Wright.88 and 36 guests