Backlocks and back spacers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Backlocks and back spacers

Post by Popsickle »

Should the blade of my new knife ever be able to make contact with the back spacer on a back lock?
sal

Re: Backlocks and back spacers

Post by sal »

What model?

sal
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

sal wrote:What model?

sal
Chinook 4. Seems the blade is making contact. The blade can be pushed down into the handle(doesn't take a lot of force)
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

For reference while holding both knives closed in my hand...... My manix 2 back lock blade can not be moved when in the closed position, but the Chinook lock flexes and allows the blade to move towards he back spacer and seemingly contacting the back spacer.... two very distinct shiny spots about an 1/4" long each on separate areas that make me believe the blade is contacting metal
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Well, hmm. I just checked my new-today Chinook 4.
With just a gentle thumb -and-index-finger pinch (less force than for popping a bubble wrap pocket) I felt the blade "bottom out."

I then checked with a 7x loupe and a light while repeating the pinch, and could see contact. Opening the blade, two small flats were plainly visible. This was the first two and only two times I opened and closed the knife (of course closed a third after pix).

Here is a quick pic which shows one shiny flat, though not very well.

While I usually only use power grasp on a closed Spyderco folder with the Jot Singh and Assist models, for some of their intended purposes, I think that normal EDC handling and activities with the Chinook 4 might also produce this effect unintentionally, without any power grasp per se. hmm
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

nicked.onaut wrote:Well, hmm. I just checked my new-today Chinook 4.
With just a gentle thumb -and-index-finger pinch (less force than for popping a bubble wrap pocket) I felt the blade "bottom out."

I then checked with a 7x loupe and a light while repeating the pinch, and could see contact. Opening the blade, two small flats were plainly visible. This was the first two and only two times I opened and closed the knife (of course closed a third after pix).

Here is a quick pic which shows one shiny flat, though not very well.

While I usually only use power grasp on a closed Spyderco folder with the Jot Singh and Assist models, for some of their intended purposes, I think that normal EDC handling and activities with the Chinook 4 might also produce this effect unintentionally, without any power grasp per se. hmm
Glad I'm not the only one. I REALLY like this knife, but this is very concerning
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

same issue on the k390 Urban, but remedied usually by the end-user via a bit of sanding.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

curlyhairedboy wrote:same issue on the k390 Urban, but remedied usually by the end-user via a bit of sanding.
Shouldn't have to be remedied on a $200 knife
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Bummer. Sorry to hear. My C4 is en route as we speak I will definitely be checking this out on mine.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Chinook3 wrote:Bummer. Sorry to hear. My C4 is en route as we speak I will definitely be checking this out on mine.
I'm hoping the two listed in this thread are isolated and this isn't part of the design

I spoke to someone in warranty just a moment ago. He said he was going to inquire about the lock itself and get back to me. He further explained that back locks... like username on the manix 2 BL, actually stop on themselves when closed which is why they don't move in he handle. He let me know it's the first time he has had to field this question. They have my information and will be contacting me
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Since the Power Lock is quite different internally from the traditional back lock I have to wonder if the movement the OP is experiencing is normal. Looking at the pictures of the Power Lock in the current issue of Byte it sure looks like it could be.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Sharp Guy wrote:Since the Power Lock is quite different internally from the traditional back lock I have to wonder if the movement the OP is experiencing is normal. Looking at the pictures of the Power Lock in the current issue of Byte it sure looks like it could be.
The issue I'm having as well as another user here is that it actually contacts and rolls the edge on the backspacer. If it had movement but didn't touch.... that would totally be a different story. I can't imagine they would design the knife to purposely be able to contact he back spacer and potentially dull the edge. It does not take a lot of force to move the blade at all.... when light pressure is applied to the back when closed you see the power lock flex. It's supposed to operate similar to a back lock, but being this is only the 2nd knife released with this lock it's tough to gauge.

Anyone with a Tatanka that experiences this?
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

update : Warranty called back. They pulled a Chinook 4 and also noticed the lock movement, and will be discussing it at a meeting later this week. I should hopefully know more by Friday.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Popsickle wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:same issue on the k390 Urban, but remedied usually by the end-user via a bit of sanding.
Shouldn't have to be remedied on a $200 knife
agreed! Glad they're moving forward to address it.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Popsickle wrote:update : Warranty called back. They pulled a Chinook 4 and also noticed the lock movement, and will be discussing it at a meeting later this week. I should hopefully know more by Friday.
Thanks for keeping us on top of this much appreciated.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Chinook3 wrote:
Popsickle wrote:update : Warranty called back. They pulled a Chinook 4 and also noticed the lock movement, and will be discussing it at a meeting later this week. I should hopefully know more by Friday.
Thanks for keeping us on top of this much appreciated.
hopefully they will give us a positive answer on Friday! Warranty guy(sorry dude, didn't get your name) was very nice and took the time to explain what he was able.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've wondered about this too, on my Ladybug Hawkbill. Sometimes it seems like the tip touches the handle, but I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it.
Babalu32

Post by Babalu32 »

From my knifemaking experience;

You want the blade tang to contact the lockbar pivot area when closed, like the delica and endura do. If it contacts forward of the lockbar pivot, the blade can be squeezed into the handle.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Babalu32 wrote:From my knifemaking experience;

You want the blade tang to contact the lockbar pivot area when closed, like the delica and endura do. If it contacts forward of the lockbar pivot, the blade can be squeezed into the handle.
yup, I checked both my endura and manix 2 back lock and both are rock solid when closed.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I was billed for mine today, so it should be on it's way soon. I'll let you know how mine is once I get it. It will definitely be next week though.