Why i choose serrated

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Why i choose serrated

Post by Candyman »

Before I get into this know that I absolutely love and prefer the look of a plain edge knife. With that being said I prefer to carry serrated. Why? It's pretty simple. If I were in a pinch and needed to save myself or someone which knife is going to cut through whatever needs to be cut quicker? Yes, we can debate that someone can throw an amazing edge on a plain edge and it's like a razor but most people use our knives regularly throughout the day. That razor sharp edge is not going to always be there but the serrations will. I also understand they get dull as well but not nearly as quick as PE and even when dull the serrated can still cut extremely well if needed. For precision cutting that is a different story and I would use PE but I just wanted to share my take on it.

Rich (Candyman)
Think for yourself
anagarika

Re: Why i choose serrated

Post by anagarika »

Though I can agree with the possibility of having a dull knife, this is an eye opener (at least for me).
https://youtu.be/eZdwYT2reZk
Chris :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When I first seen how good a high quality serrated blade can cut through some very tough and fibrous materials I never looked back. Now I do carry a plain edge daily. But I also carry some type of Spyderedged blade as a companion blade daily as well. Now recently there were two occasions where I only carried my Spyderedged Stainless handled Spyderco RESCUE for several reasons. One of the main reasons was that I went into an area where knives of any type were not allowed.

But I just won't hardly go anywhere without some type of cutting tool on me. And when push comes to shove and I would probably also pick a Spyderedged blade if I was restricted to just using one folder.

Most people just aren't aware of how good a high quality serrated blade performs. After I got my very first Spyder in 1995 I've been sold ever since. But I also have many needs for a plain edged blade as well which is why most of the time I have a PE & SE both.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think serrated edges only work well when very sharp, so I disagree with you. To quote Dave (Evil D) they're just a "snag fest" when not polished sharp. When they are, they're awesome, I discovered recently. In a pinch, I can sharpen a plain edge on almost anything abrasive, so I'll stick with plain edge. I enjoy playing with serrated, and plan on making a Manbug Salt vid, if I ever get time.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:I think serrated edges only work well when very sharp, so I disagree with you. To quote Dave (Evil D) they're just a "snag fest" when not polished sharp. When they are, they're awesome, I discovered recently. In a pinch, I can sharpen a plain edge on almost anything abrasive, so I'll stick with plain edge. I enjoy playing with serrated, and plan on making a Manbug Salt vid, if I ever get time.
Been waiting on that video amigo. I have a SE Ladybug Hawkbill that I adore but probably will never have a SE larger than that again. Same reason as you, a few swipes on the SM and I am rolling again
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jazz wrote:I think serrated edges only work well when very sharp, so I disagree with you. To quote Dave (Evil D) they're just a "snag fest" when not polished sharp. When they are, they're awesome, I discovered recently. In a pinch, I can sharpen a plain edge on almost anything abrasive, so I'll stick with plain edge. I enjoy playing with serrated, and plan on making a Manbug Salt vid, if I ever get time.
Vivi I think that's true with any edge type. But I do disagree with you in a minor way>> because I've taken relatively dull serrations and have still been able to cut and saw through a lot of materials that I couldn't have even began to do with a dull plain edge. Oh yes the sharper the better no matter what type of knife edge you've got I do agree 100% on that comment>> but I still maintain that you can sort of force a "not so sharp" serrated edge in many cutting jobs whereas even a slightly dull plain edge just gets close to being useless for the most part.

That's why I've become such a sharpening fanatic and I won't let any of my edged tools get dull>> I'm constantly checking and testing all my blades to see if they are prepared for a cutting job.

Now the "snag factor" that Evil D commented on is true but I've even had some snag problems even with super sharp serrations. Especially those Japan made Spyders with the really well defined spikes on those serration patterns will even still snag on many types of materials depending on how you cut them of course. I tend to like a more low profile/rounded/wavy serration than I do the Spike & Scallop type you see on many Spyderco Japan made knives.

My two points are >> "Not All Serration Patterns Are Created Equal">> also you can to a degree get by somewhat with a relatively dull serrated blade but not even at all with a relatively dull plain edge. This weekend I couldn't even open a big of potato chips with my M390 Military because of the extra harse uses I put it through. I did need to give it some strokes on the GOLDENSTONE to restore it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

As I said elsewhere...there are times when a combo edge is a good choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
carrot

Post by carrot »

I think all of us have gotten our favorite knives "dull" to the point where they snag a bit on cardboard or tear paper a bit instead of nicely gliding through. At that point, we put those knives away until we have the chance to sharpen them and pull out the next one. That's dull for AFIs but not really dull in the sense they won't cut.

But when plain edge is REALLY dull, it's like a butter knife. Serrations can still saw.

I think nicely sharpened serrations are truly awesome. They slice no worse than plain edge and it's a real joy to zip through cardboard and other thick materials. But they do require a little more attention at the sharpener to get that way.

I carried serrations exclusively for two months to get a feel for them, and I liked it. I'm happy to carry a sweet Spyderedged blade. But in the end, unless I expect that I'll either be cutting a lot of fibrous materials or won't be able to sharpen up for a long time, plain-edged gets me through the day, and opens my envelopes more easily.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I like the responses. I have not run into any issues with snags on my serrated yet. I suppose I could see that being an issue depending on what you cut regularly but none for me yet. anagarika, that was a very interesting video. When I was writing this I was thinking more from a Rescue perspective than self defense. I too carry PE and serrated. No doubt both can get the job done. I just feel the serrated will be much quicker especially if it's something thick that needs to be cut.

Rich (Candyman)
Think for yourself
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Doc Dan wrote:As I said elsewhere...there are times when a combo edge is a good choice.
Agreed!
Think for yourself
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Doc Dan wrote:As I said elsewhere...there are times when a combo edge is a good choice.
Yeah that's what we're sayin' :D
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

JD Spydo wrote:
Vivi I think that's true with any edge type. But I do disagree with you in a minor way>> because I've taken relatively dull serrations and have still been able to cut and saw through a lot of materials that I couldn't have even began to do with a dull plain edge. Oh yes the sharper the better no matter what type of knife edge you've got I do agree 100% on that comment>> but I still maintain that you can sort of force a "not so sharp" serrated edge in many cutting jobs whereas even a slightly dull plain edge just gets close to being useless for the most part.

That's why I've become such a sharpening fanatic and I won't let any of my edged tools get dull>> I'm constantly checking and testing all my blades to see if they are prepared for a cutting job.

Now the "snag factor" that Evil D commented on is true but I've even had some snag problems even with super sharp serrations. Especially those Japan made Spyders with the really well defined spikes on those serration patterns will even still snag on many types of materials depending on how you cut them of course. I tend to like a more low profile/rounded/wavy serration than I do the Spike & Scallop type you see on many Spyderco Japan made knives.

My two points are >> "Not All Serration Patterns Are Created Equal">> also you can to a degree get by somewhat with a relatively dull serrated blade but not even at all with a relatively dull plain edge. This weekend I couldn't even open a big of potato chips with my M390 Military because of the extra harse uses I put it through. I did need to give it some strokes on the GOLDENSTONE to restore it.
Jazz, not Vivi ;)

I totally agree on the serration types. My Salt 1 has deep, pointy, snaggy ones. My Rescues and Manbug don't.

Yes, I guess you can saw and "bully" your way through stuff with dull serrations. Sawing through fibers doesn't work that well. More of a pull through cut with a bit of slice is best for that with serrations.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Serrations can cut some stuff that is almost impossible to cut with a PE. A hard plastic tube for example, can be delt with some effort with a SE edge but not with a PE.
On the other hand, SE can get the teeth broken and in my experience are more prone to damage.
sal

Post by sal »

Plain vs serrated :eek:

While "edge junky's" will generally go deeper into each edge type, pros & cons, than the average knife user, there are advantages to both, especially when used. I prefer the "Jazz" Delica in serrations for dispatching boxes, but the plain version for slicing sushi.

That's always been my argument for the Dyad's. FYI, we're working on an improved Dyad Salt.

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

sal wrote:Plain vs serrated :eek:

While "edge junky's" will generally go deeper into each edge type, pros & cons, than the average knife user, there are advantages to both, especially when used. I prefer the "Jazz" Delica in serrations for dispatching boxes, but the plain version for slicing sushi.

That's always been my argument for the Dyad's. FYI, we're working on an improved Dyad Salt.

sal
Very interesting.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

[quote="sal"]Plain vs serrated :eek:

That's always been my argument for the Dyad's. FYI, we're working on an improved Dyad Salt. /quote]

Mr GLESSER??!!! did I hear you say you all are working on an improved version of the Salt Series DYAD???!! :cool: Mr. Glesser you know I'm one of the biggest fans of the original C-44 Dyad of anyone on this Forum and have been for quite some time. Here lately I've even been tempted to start EDCing my old ATS-55, C-44 Dyad again because it was truly a pleasure to use that great double bladed folder.

Hey while you all are at it you might consider another C-44 Dyad with a Supersteel plain edged blade and either an H-1 or LC200N serrated blade. I just know in my gut that would make the C-44 Dyad a super popular option for guys like myself who actually work daily with their Spyders.

Mr. Glesser that is fantastic news. What about the GAUNTLET?? Now that we're talking about new releases :D ??
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

The Gauntlet is in process.

sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Wow, would love to see a Dyad Salt! (possibly in FRN? someday?)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

First off, let me just say I'm a SE fan I own and use them, and I will continue to buy them and use them. That said, I don't feel they are necessary unless you do a job like working on a boat where cutting ropes is the primary use. Necessary does not mean they aren't plenty usable in other situations, and just plain fun to use.

There is one snag in my uses, and I mean that literally. I get the argument that a dull SE will "saw", and that's not false. However, how often are you actually caught with a dull knife? If you find that this is you, I'd suggest being more diligent about your sharpening routine. My experience is that a dull SE knife is absolutely miserable to use and I have never caught myself wishing that my dulling PE knife had teeth. This is coming from someone who has had jobs where edge retention was maxed out within a day of work and I gravitated towards high wear steels because of it. The edge retention argument only makes sense if you're ok leaving the house with a knife that you know is not at peak sharpness.

For me, I'll leave that knife on my desk and choose another knife to carry for the day and pick it back up once it's sharp again. If the argument is made that you need a knife for worst case scenario where you may have to rely on your knife for extended periods when you don't have your sharpening gear, such as a survival situation, then I'd suggest you think about a PE in a steel that is easier to sharpen in the field on a rock or ceramic cup/etc because it will be far easier to keep sharp than SE if all you're using is a coffee mug.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

sal wrote:Plain vs serrated :eek:

sal
Sounds like a great creekside fishing knife. Wouldnt mind seeing that with some amber bone for selfish nostalgic reasons.
Think for yourself