Why i choose serrated

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ConspicuousConsumption

Re: Why i choose serrated

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

What is a “Jazz” Delica??

Dyad seems logical as a concept, but wow that’s ... an interesting look.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
paladin

Post by paladin »

sal wrote:Hi JD,

The Gauntlet is in process.

sal
Did somebody say..."Gauntlet?" :D
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm quite interested in the Dyad Salt.

Sal, when you're using serrations for cardboard, are you slicing or more of a push cut? I'm going to use the SE tomorrow at work. Grocery day. Lots of cutting.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

paladin wrote:
sal wrote:Hi JD,

The Gauntlet is in process.

sal
Did somebody say..."Gauntlet?" :D
Paladin ol' buddy I've been trying to squeeze that one out of Spyderco for almost two years now :rolleyes: >> I guess they must be having some manufacturing problems or something of that ilk because there are a lot of people looking forward to Spyderco's new sharpening system. I'm back to working full time again but with all the sharpening tools that Spyderco has coming down their product pipeline I'm going to need to work a lot of overtime just to get all the sharpening gear that they are getting ready for the open market.

But right now I'm mainly wanting the GAUNTLET and DOUBLESTUFF 2. Forget about a 401K or anything like it because I'm investing all my $$ in Spyderco stuff :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:What is a “Jazz” Delica??
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jazz wrote:
ConspicuousConsumption wrote:What is a “Jazz” Delica??
that blade reminds me a lot of the full SE version of the Caly Jr. I used to own>> and wish I still did. Albeit my duties tend to demand larger blades in the past few years. Which is why I've retired most of my small bladed folders.

What the heck maybe we need an EVIL D, C-36 Military model :D
npad69

Post by npad69 »

sal wrote:Plain vs serrated :eek:

While "edge junky's" will generally go deeper into each edge type, pros & cons, than the average knife user, there are advantages to both, especially when used. I prefer the "Jazz" Delica in serrations for dispatching boxes, but the plain version for slicing sushi.

That's always been my argument for the Dyad's. FYI, we're working on an improved Dyad Salt.

sal
oh em geee!
are you going for the tandem h1-lc200n steel this time sal?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

npad69 wrote:

While "edge junky's" will generally go deeper into each edge type, pros & cons, than the average knife user, there are advantages to both, especially when used. I prefer the "Jazz" Delica in serrations for dispatching boxes, but the plain version for slicing sushi.

That's always been my argument for the Dyad's. FYI, we're working on an improved Dyad Salt.

sal
oh em geee!
are you going for the tandem h1-lc200n steel this time sal?
With the great reports we've heard about the superior performance of LC200N on plain edges and Spyderco's own tests indicating H-1 being ideal for Spyderedges I have no doubt that they are aware of it and truly considering it. It would just be a no-brainer and it would be so cool to have a double bladed premium folder with two nitrogen based blade steels. I'm really looking forward to this one>> this is great news and it will truly change the overall opinion of the Dyad model. A Dyad geared for hard use in harsh environments. It will catapult the Dyad's popularity for sure.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:I'm quite interested in the Dyad Salt.

Sal, when you're using serrations for cardboard, are you slicing or more of a push cut? I'm going to use the SE tomorrow at work. Grocery day. Lots of cutting.
Jazz,

I want to hear your take on the SE Wharn, I am locked and loaded on D4 Wharn but can't decide PE or SE
sal

Post by sal »

Jazz wrote: Sal, when you're using serrations for cardboard, are you slicing or more of a push cut? I'm going to use the SE tomorrow at work. Grocery day. Lots of cutting.
Kinda somewhere in the middle, Slight angle to the blade/cardboard. Let me know how you do? Also a little sharpening on the corner of the white triangle on a serrated edge does round off the corners of the teeth a hair, that does make a difference.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One sharpening technique that I've been doing with my Spyderco 701 Profiles is to deburr the back side of the serration pattern. You don't have to do much to achieve a really sharp edge on the front side by deburring the back side. I still like the 701 Profiles the best for sharpening Spyderedges.

I am however very anxious to see what the GAUNTLET system has to offer for sharpening serrated edges. I do use my 204 Sharpmaker for doing some of my serrated Spyderco blades>> but I mainly use it on the kitchen knives with the rounded/wavy serration patterns like the K-04 and K-05 models.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Rich,

For emergency rescue, definitely agree that SE is better. In the video it was shown a PE that struggled to cut rope. I think SE will eat it no problem but I haven't tried myself a slightly dull SE vs rope. :spyder:

All in all interesting and educational discussion!
Chris :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One big aspect we're overlooking here is the edge retention of the two edge types. I don't think even the most ardent of plain edge fans would not argue for one nanosecond that a plain edge is much easier to dull than a serrated edge. Even on lesser blade steels most serrated edges are very durable.

I sharpen my plain edged Spyders about 3 times to every one time for Spyderedges. With the changing geometry of a serrated edge it's actually difficult to dull a super sharp Spyderedge.

It's been a really long time since I really dinged up and banged up a serrated edge to the point to where it took over an hour to really hone the serration pattern in order to get it sharp again. Most of the time when I sharpen serrated, Spyderedged blades it's really nothing more than a tune up or a touch up and a slight deburring job. Whereas I find it very easy to dull a plain edge even with the best of blade steels if I'm not very careful.

So to me it just makes perfect sense to use serrated/Spyderedged blades for emergency and survival type blades.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

...... I prefer the "Jazz" Delica in serrations for dispatching boxes, but the plain version for slicing sushi.

sal
I keep my beloved spyderedge wharnie Delica so wicked sharp and I never felt the need for a plain edge blade....but I have to admit I'm not a sushi fan :)
I can only dream of a SE wharnie Endura but with a gen.3 Endura type handle.What do you say Sal ?

Marius
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marius,

We're considering a new Salt handle for the Pacific Salt, made like the Salt 2. What specifically don't you like about the Endura 4 handel?

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:Hi Marius,

We're considering a new Salt handle for the Pacific Salt, made like the Salt 2. What specifically don't you like about the Endura 4 handel?

sal

I'm not Marius but I dislike the points. They just don't match the width of my fingers. Same with the Delica/Salt.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal
Well Sal...Endura4 handle just doesn't look and feel right.As for the Pac Salt2, please keep the same handle shape (maybe slitghtly slimmer) and add bi-directional texture.You'll figure out for yourself, you are a great designer.

Marius
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Richierich252000 wrote:Before I get into this know that I absolutely love and prefer the look of a plain edge knife. With that being said I prefer to carry serrated. Why? It's pretty simple. If I were in a pinch and needed to save myself or someone which knife is going to cut through whatever needs to be cut quicker? Yes, we can debate that someone can throw an amazing edge on a plain edge and it's like a razor but most people use our knives regularly throughout the day. That razor sharp edge is not going to always be there but the serrations will. I also understand they get dull as well but not nearly as quick as PE and even when dull the serrated can still cut extremely well if needed. For precision cutting that is a different story and I would use PE but I just wanted to share my take on it.

Rich (Candyman)
The thing is,...most of us carry a (pointy-ish) knife to do their frequent and everyday cutting tasks,....opening envelopes and packages (and often packages have sticky tape that transfers to the blade, that can be a real PITA to clean off a SE!), cutting up an apple, slicing a sometimes very ripe tomato, cheese, or onions, etc,...and for these sort of things a reasonably sharp plain edge does a better and neater job overall.

This is like 99% PLUS of what you're likely to need your EDC blade to do for you. It doesn't seem to make sense to me to plan your EDC choice on the OFF chance you'll need to respond to an emergency.

The nice thing is, lots of us ALSO carry a 2nd blade, and can be in a similar size as the PE, bigger or even smaller. Nothing wrong with having that 2nd blade being your go to emergency blade with Serrated Edge, available to quickly cut through a tough seat belt or similar strap like material.

If you really want to plan your EDC for best use in an emergency situation with a solo knife, best make it a Sheepsfoot SE blade design anyway. (which of course is not the best for ALL of the other 99%+ of what you're likely to be doing)

....and of course a combo PE/SE blade if you solo carry a reasonably long blade of around 3-1/2" or longer, ....but it rarely works well enough on either the PE or SE sections if you start with a shorter blade.

Personally,....I prefer the TWO knife method myself. :) (and sometimes THREE! ;) )
paladin

Post by paladin »

We're considering a new Salt handle for the Pacific Salt, made like the Salt 2.
sal
please consider keeping the blades interchangeable with the Pac. Salt 1, because that knife handle is perfection for me, thank you...

don't need no skeletonized FRN, don't want no torx fasteners, backspacer just adds thickness messing with the "Golden" ratio of ergos the Endura 4 handle has workin for me...

...but if you're looking at a LC200N blade to drop in...well, you have my business in that scenario. ;)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

anagarika wrote:Though I can agree with the possibility of having a dull knife, this is an eye opener (at least for me).
https://youtu.be/eZdwYT2reZk
By the way,...anybody else notice in the video that this slasher is a freaking "Artiest"? Check out at the 5:00 minute mark and on out. That piece of pork loin was turned into a face! :eek:

The lowest cut with the dull PE created a "Mouth", the sharp PE a veritable "Nose", and that SE beast a reasonable representation for eyes, or possible a slit in the visor of a Zulu warrior war mask!

Geeze, this guy missed his calling,...he might have been a great Plastic Surgeon! :D