Why does Spyderco pin certain knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
savagesick

Why does Spyderco pin certain knives?

Post by savagesick »

I've been dying to get my hands a Native 5 in MAXAMET and Manix LW, but can't get over the fact that they're pinned.

Anybody have insight to why?

Could their factory replace them with actual screws?
Evil D

Re: Why does Spyderco pin certain knives?

Post by Evil D »

Sal has said that some knives like the Caly 3 need to be pinned because of how thin they are, because it's easier to make them thin with pinned construction vs screws. I would assume on knives like the Lightweights there is a cost savings involved too. The Spyderco factory won't replace them with screws but it is possible to do, but I have no idea where to source the screws. There was a member who used to post here who did one of the first blade swaps on the first S110V Manix 2 that successfully put the LW back together with screws but he was from South Africa and doesn't post anymore.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I'm pretty sure the maxamet Native5 uses screw construction. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
palonej

Post by palonej »

I felt the same way for quite a while......until I got a couple of pinned Spydies.
I have a Pac Salt, a Native LW, a few pinned Manix 2s and a Caly CF ZDP. I can say they are some of my smoothest Spydie's and none of them have ever needed any adjustments. All arrived centered and have stayed that way. All are fantastic flickers.
I think my pinned Manix LWs have better action than than the ones that are screw construction.
Don't sweat pinned construction if one of them catches your eye Savage! They are excellent knives.
Joe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I agree, pinned construction is a non issue unless you're looking to mod a knife. I do prefer to have a screw pivot though. My first Spyderco was the original Native LW and it's all pinned and though it has a little side wiggle in the pivot it still locks up solid and is plenty usable after 12 years.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Savagesick,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
losinground

Post by losinground »

i wouldn't have the Manix LW any other way. I would say my 2nd fav knife to carry next to the Delica. The pinned construction is solid and there is no screws to ever back out on you. If you want to mod either a Manix or Native you can get the G-10 versions. If there were ever a Paramilitary 2 LW it might fight the Manix LW for pocket time.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Native 5 is definitely a screw construction but people mistake the lock bar pivot pin for a rivet. It's just a pin that falls out when you take the knife apart. As for the manix. It has an adjustable pivot so i don't see an issue with it. I've dropped mine several times and it hasn't come apart yet.
sanman28

Post by sanman28 »

I have divested out of every pinned spyderco. Never an issue, but i want all my knives to be screw construction.
ssmith571

Post by ssmith571 »

sanman28 wrote:I have divested out of every pinned spyderco. Never an issue, but i want all my knives to be screw construction.
ssmith571

Post by ssmith571 »

sanman28 wrote:I have divested out of every pinned spyderco. Never an issue, but i want all my knives to be screw construction.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Native5LW is not pinned. It has a floating stop pin. It is screw construction. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ssmith,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

If you don't like pinned construction, try an Endura, Delica or Police :spyder: in SS....those are slim, easy and highly comfortable to carry. I can't imagine them with screws.
Still have my E2 I lost in Afghanistan, but found two years later. It's got some wear, and a little play, but it's still fighting fit. :spyder:
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Native 5 LW has screws. The Manix 2 LW does not. I do not see an issue with either. Both systems work and both have advantages and disadvantages. For me, the advantages of both out weigh anything negative, so I buy both and use them, happily.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050