RN or CF Chaparral?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

RN or CF Chaparral?

Post by Eli Chaps »

So I've really developed an affinity for smaller knives. The Delica has been my staple EDC for many years but lately I just have a really hard time kicking the Dragonfly 2 out of my pocket. So now I'm really eyeing the Chaparral as my next Spydie. I've always been attracted to it but worried I'd find it too small for my EDC use and it ain't really a cheap experiment. But loving the Dfly2 as much as I now do, I'm quite warm to the Chap.

I lusted after the Rafir Noble when I very first saw it and even after some of the tales of disappointment, I still think it is beautiful and highly intriguing. But I also have a Sage 5 and love the feel of those scales. I do like a bit of sexy but I'm always a function over form guy. I just wonder if the RN scales are slick?

Obviously this isn't a hard use knife and it will cut more fruit, leftover pork chops, and beer boxes than anything else.

What do you guys think?
timlara

Re: RN or CF Chaparral?

Post by timlara »

If the Dragonfly2 isn't too small for you, then the Chap should be just fine. I personally love the size of it.

If it were me, I'd go with the CF version as I still feel like it's the best EDC version. The others are prettier, but I am more of a tactile guy, and as you said, the feel of the CF texture is really nice. I think it looks great, too.

Also, as you mentioned, the Rafir Noble is really neat looking, but there seems to be a TON of variance to it, so you never know what you're gonna get if you're ordering online. Acrylic or smooth micarta, etc, finishes are too slick for me personally.
Tim
pete bogman

Post by pete bogman »

How many knives can you get with RN scales? Go for it.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I love both, but the CF version is kinda the perfect knife
paladin

Post by paladin »

RN Chappy is the mutt's nuts...however the handles can't be bookmatched and sometimes they look unbalanced with one side having a lot of stunning mesh and the other side looking like a <mostly> empty aquarium.

CF version is one of the best slicers in the Spyderco lineup.

I own both! ;)

But I'd try to get ACTUAL photos of BOTH sides of a Raffir Noble before I'd spring for one...but when I found a stunner, I'd be all over it like white on rice!

check some of em out and you'll see what I'm talking about with the "imbalance" of some of the handles:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74562&hilit=RN+Chaparral
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
SG89

Post by SG89 »

wait for the frn chap
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Spydergirl88 wrote:wait for the frn chap
This. If you're function-oriented, this is going to be one of the very best smaller EDC knives from Spyderco.

Otherwise, given the choice, I'd pick the RN version. I own the CF laminate version, but I'm going to buy the RN version too, and I don't usually buy different versions of the same knife unless I have a really, really good reason. The RN scales are worth it. Also, they're not really much if any less grippy than the CF laminate, so I don't think that will matter much, and if it did you're probably better off with a knife that's not so thinly-ground.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'd ask your dealer to send you pictures of the RF Chaps in their inventory. It looks awesome, especially if you get a good one. I had a CF Chap (I ended up trading it for another Spydie) and the texture is a little grippier, but I think the ergonomics are more than enough to allow for enough purchase on a gentlemans folder even with smooth sided scales. I think the RF Chap is a lot cooler looking and more gentlemanly if that's a concern for you.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think it's a tough call between the two versions. I have the CF Chap and love it. I've been tempted to buy the RN Chap but I'd have to see it first to make sure it was interesting enough.

Spydergirl's suggestion to wait for the FRN Chap is a good one. It should be the least expensive of the Chap versions but may also be the best user of them all.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the CF Chap. The Raffir Noble is beautiful and defintly unique, but it is just a little to slippery for me. I really do like the CF overlay over G10 that Spyderco does.
Josh
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have no complaints about the CF Chap as it is now.

Another knife you should look at is the Urban Light Weight. It is non locking and a perfect size.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on your tastes. For me, the CF Chaparral is the most practical Chaparral version to date. It's attractive, scratch resistant, and offers decent grip. I'm not a huge fan of the RN version, but perhaps that's because I'm not a fan of "see through" scales in general. As I see it, the only thing the RN version has going for it that the CF version doesn't is that each RN Chaparral is unique. If that's of primary importance to you, then U'd say go RN, otherwise stick with the CF.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Eli Chaps wrote:I've always been attracted to it but worried I'd find it too small for my EDC use and it ain't really a cheap experiment. But loving the Dfly2 as much as I now do, I'm quite warm to the Chap.
I've found the Dfly too small for me and never carry it. The Chap fits my hand just that much better and you get a lot of blade for such a small package. The RN is interesting but I don't think I'd buy one unless I saw it at a B&M or pictures of it...to many mixed reviews. If I was looking for more of a beater I'd wait for the FRN. If you want something a little more gentlemanly I'd go with the CF. I love both of my CF Chaparrals.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

The CF Chaparral is my favorite Spyderco. I had the RN version, but the scale pattern on mine was not to my liking. I'm hoping the FRN version will be released in my lifetime, as that's the one knife that I'm really looking forward to getting.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Dang, I forgot this was dangling out there. I do love me some FRN.

I wonder when Uncle Sal's magic elves are going to get this one out...?

:)
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Eli Chaps wrote:Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Dang, I forgot this was dangling out there. I do love me some FRN.

I wonder when Uncle Sal's magic elves are going to get this one out...?

@ Shot Show early this year Eric said "summer", but that window is closing. However, that does lend a bit of optimism that it'll be soon-ish, maybe by the end of the year at least.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Chap is pretty slim and a great slicer. The CF model does not have the better texture of the Sage5. RN model is classy and each pattern is unique. However, RN does get scratched up easily. Chap CF is more practical but I wouldn't be afraid to pocket the RN as long as you don't have metal objects in the same pocket scratching it.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Eli Chaps wrote:I wonder when Uncle Sal's magic elves are going to get this one out...?

You gave me a good lough :D ... I am waiting too for FRN Chapparals!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'd go for CF. My RN Chaparral turned out to be my first regretful Spydie purchase. If you can't see the actual knife you're buying, unbalanced scales are a definite issue (for me at least).
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

DutchBlades wrote:I'd go for CF. My RN Chaparral turned out to be my first regretful Spydie purchase. If you can't see the actual knife you're buying, unbalanced scales are a definite issue (for me at least).
Agreed. You said it better than I did.