Do Five Constitute a Collection?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EmperorMA

Re: Do Five Constitute a Collection?

Post by EmperorMA »

Oh, **** yeah! Five is a great collection!

I have six but I'm looking to trade a Caly 3.5 and a NIB Manix 2 XL for a stainless Military, which if successful would put me at five.

Of course, I'll buy more. But five covers just about everything. In my case, it would be Dragonfly 2 - Military and just about everything in between.

I must admit I am liking the Native far more than I thought I would. I gave it to my daughter and she uses it every day and loves it. When I borrow it, I am smiling the whole time I'm using it. It's a Native 5 LW S110V.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Which model Cat is that? Is it 440C with jimping top and bottom on the blade?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

El Gato wrote:Welcome to the Forum Montana.
I miss Home myself.
3-7-77 :)

Dave
Thanks Dave!!
North of 49
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Nice picture and assortment of knives

To me it's still at the several stage. A few more to go ;) Get too it now. :p
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:Looks like a collection to me. But you need some more color :D

"You can have it any color you want as long as it's black"

:D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

Doc Dan wrote:Which model Cat is that? Is it 440C with jimping top and bottom on the blade?
Hey Doc
It's the Cat with the BD steel, and doesn't have the jimping. Fits nicely in the hand.
North of 49
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

Evil D wrote:
xceptnl wrote:Looks like a collection to me. But you need some more color :D

"You can have it any color you want as long as it's black"

:D
Personally.........I like the black, tends to disappear against most colors, especially if you're wearing black slacks. :D
Given a choice, I prefer the G10 handles over other possible choices......and weight isn't really a consideration for me.
North of 49
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

standy99 wrote:Nice picture and assortment of knives

To me it's still at the several stage. A few more to go ;) Get too it now. :p
Thank you for the kind words.
I'm not a collector by any stretch......they all get used....naturally some more than others.
There's a SE Tenacious on its way right now, I find I like the tough SE on the Native III, and thought the SE Tenacious would be a good addition.

Repeat after me....
I am not a collector.
I am not a collector.
I am not a collector.
North of 49
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Many of us are in collector denial. I used to be.

Now I accept that I am a knife hoarder. It is like being a collector except there is no pattern to your buying, none stay new in the box and selling is seldom an option. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Many of us are in collector denial. I used to be.

Now I accept that I am a knife hoarder. It is like being a collector except there is no pattern to your buying, none stay new in the box and selling is seldom an option. :)
Lol...yeah, that's pretty accurate. I do try to have the patience these days to resist using/carrying a knife much until I decide whether I'm going to keep it for sure, but that's a fine line too because some knives don't grow on you until you use them, and just like a new car, once you get those first few scratches the resale value plummets. Really there's no real way to win this game. :)
Tim
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

After the Tenacious arrives, that will be it.
I "might" look seriously at a mini Native, but I have the Cat now.....
North of 49
anycal

Post by anycal »

Everyone with mulitple knives is a collector, fan/fanatic, hoarder, buff, nut, fiend, junkie (crachhead), or perhaps has one of several medically defined ailments :D

Personally, I buy, I use, I give. Not a single NIB blade; haven't sold one yet... Collector in denial? Yeah, that sounds about right.
Peter
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think you should upgrade to a Manix of some sort. I prefer the back lock version, but I have a light weight I also really like.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are different kinds of collectors...those who collect for the joy of having sets, those who collect for the potential future value in something, and those who use their collection. This hobby creates a gray area because what we collect are tools, so by design many of them are going to get used. It's just like cars, some collectors are in it for resale value so they keep the miles low, and others like Jay Leno drive a different car everyday but he's still definitely a collector. I've known guys who collect vintage wood working tools and own 100 year old wood planes that they use all the time, I don't think being a "collector" means you don't or can't use what you collect.
~David
asmith001

Post by asmith001 »

Is it still a collection if you use them all? To avoid being a collector, I'll just call it a rotation. lol.
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

Doc Dan wrote:I think you should upgrade to a Manix of some sort. I prefer the back lock version, but I have a light weight I also really like.
Just had a look at the specs on the Manix back lock.....
Blade is just over 3" ; but beyond that it checks all the boxes.
The Endura is just a bit too large for my hand, which is why I don't carry it.....
If I sold off the Endura, then I could easily justify the Manix......
North of 49
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

Though I've owned Spydercos for years, I'm relatively new to the forum.....I think I see what's happening here, some of you appear to be enablers. :D :D
North of 49
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

asmith001 wrote:Is it still a collection if you use them all? To avoid being a collector, I'll just call it a rotation. lol.
That's a good question. Maybe it's better to call it a "set" instead of a collection. If you have tools and you have a socket and wrench set, I don't think anyone would consider your set of sockets a collection, but then set also suggests that all items in the set work together towards the same use, so I think it's set is more appropriate than collection for those of us who use all our knives. Maybe that's the real difference, a collector has a collection and a user has a set.
~David
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

Evil D wrote:There are different kinds of collectors...those who collect for the joy of having sets, those who collect for the potential future value in something, and those who use their collection. This hobby creates a gray area because what we collect are tools, so by design many of them are going to get used. It's just like cars, some collectors are in it for resale value so they keep the miles low, and others like Jay Leno drive a different car everyday but he's still definitely a collector. I've known guys who collect vintage wood working tools and own 100 year old wood planes that they use all the time, I don't think being a "collector" means you don't or can't use what you collect.
Agreed.
I look at it from the "I'm collecting tools" side; and I intend on using the knives as such.
North of 49
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I've got a big set of Spydercos, then.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050