Pacific salt disassembly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Capitaine Hardock

Pacific salt disassembly

Post by Capitaine Hardock »

Hello there

I'm new to the forum, and am planning to buy a Pacific salt soon (working on boats, so rust resistance is compulsory).

Thing is the frn scales are really ugly so I plan to make new ones out of wood or g10.

So, the question is : can the knife be taken apart completely (and reassembled in working order, needless to say...) ?
Robbob

Re: Pacific salt disassembly

Post by Robbob »

The backspacer on the Pacific Salt is integrated with the scales. As such, it's difficult to remove the spring, and even harder to install. The blade and lock bar should not be too terribly hard to remove.

You can easily change the color if the FRN with Rit dye, if that helps. With H1 there's no need to even take it apart.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Pac Salt is a one piece frn handle and lacks any sort of liners so making new scales for it is not very simple. This will make fabricating a new handle difficult.

I am sure I can be done but wether or not it will work properly is going to depend on your skills and abilities.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As Robbob said, it can be taken apart to some extent, but the handle is one piece, so you'd need to cut it apart in order to use the scales as templates for new ones and, perhaps more importantly, the integral backspacer/spring carrier as a template for a metal or G-10 replacement.

If you really hate the look of FRN, you might want to consider getting some thin CF sheeting like this stuff from DragonPlate, and gluing it onto the FRN scales.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

If you hate the scales enough, you might consider buying an Endura instead and buying custom scales.

VG10 is highly stainless
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Capitaine Hardock

Okay, I thought that it was a two pieces like the endura.
I'll take the inner dimensions of the handle and try to make a 2 piece one out of wood, or even bone. Don't know if it will turn out good looking, or even usable, but I'll try

Holland, i was hesitating, but had an endura before that got pitted. Since this one will take even more saltwater this winter (fishing vessel), I don't take any chance and go with H1.

Thank you all for your precious advices!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If you are going to be using it in an environment where vg10 pitted then I question whether wood or bone will fair well.

Have you looked at the Spydiechef or the upcoming Caribbean models. While not wood or bone they are also not frn. I do not know if it is just the frn you have an objection too?

If you insist on wood or bone I wood look at some stabilized woods at least.

And please keep one thing in mind, WE LOVE PICTURES. If you make this happen please share it with us. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Capitaine Hardock

Yup, if anything happens to happen, I'll immortalize it!

Was talking about bone because I have a few whitened cow bones laying around that I use to make necklaces. It looks pretty much water resistant.
That or driftwood, or maybe the two together, I'll see
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Would wood handles stand up to the water and type of corrosion resistance you will need?
hank1984USA

Post by hank1984USA »

Reading this thread and i want to know how it turned out. I am buying a used salt and i am going to make custom scales for it. For the only reason is i can get a used one cheap and i want to try the challenge.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

The scales look and feel way better in person than what the pictures might suggest. Also, its a user right? Looks shouldn't matter, but functionality instead. I dont see any advantage to wood over FRN in a moist, salty environment, just my 2 cents. The Pacific Salt H1 serrated is in my top 3 best Spyderco knives.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I'll also agree that the scales are nice in person, but if you want a Salt knife that looks good too check out the Siren! Its more expensive, but by the time you factor in making new scales for the Pacific Salt itd probably be a wash.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Ez556 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:20 am
I'll also agree that the scales are nice in person, but if you want a Salt knife that looks good too check out the Siren! Its more expensive, but by the time you factor in making new scales for the Pacific Salt itd probably be a wash.
+1 from me on the Siren! Great option if you plan for plain edge (non-serrated), LC200N steel of the Siren is better in that style than the H1 of a plain edge PS. If OP wants serrated, H1 steel Pacific Salt is unbeatable. Being used as a boat knife, serration truly shine when it comes to fishing duties, rope or line cutting etc.