[Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.45" / 2.95" / 3.45" instead of 2.5" / 3" / 3.5"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.45" / 2.95" / 3.45" instead of 2.5" / 3" / 3.5"

Post by Evil D »

SF Native wrote:
Evil D wrote:I keep seeing this thread, and every time I read the title, it makes me think of how "gun control" laws work. In other words, they don't. It's the same with knife laws. Making something legal won't prevent laws from being broke or prevent people from getting in trouble, and making a knife "technically legal" won't keep you out of trouble when you break the law with a knife. Maybe they should start making cars that will only go as fast as the speed limit, then nobody ever gets a speeding ticket?
I honestly think these laws are used as a way of getting people off the street if they can't prove the real crime. How often are parolees sent back on "weapons charge"? Seems like Al Capone law. If you can't prove the hard stuff, pile on the little stuff like carrying a knife that is 1/4" too
Long.
It's the equivalent of a license plate light being blown, driving slightly left of center, "swerving", etc etc. I was pulled over once for going 50 in a 60 zone in the middle of the night because I "looked suspicious". I had just put a new transmission in my Mustang and was taking it out for the first drive. Cop then spent 20 minutes asking me about the car lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DougC-3

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.45" / 2.95" / 3.45" instead of 2.5" / 3" / 3.5"

Post by DougC-3 »

The whole idea that dangerousness is determined by blade length in small increments is ridiculous on the face of it. Also that folding blades are dangerous but, in some cases, fixed blades, butcher knives, meat cleavers, etc, are OK.

If I hafted a 2.9 inch folding or fixed blade onto the end a 5 foot handle, I suppose it would by some laws not be as dangerous as a 3" blade in a 3 inch handle.

Whereby I herein declair my disdain for the aforesaid stipulations heretofore attested hereon and my usual avoidance themof ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:
It's the equivalent of a license plate light being blown, driving slightly left of center, "swerving", etc etc. I was pulled over once for going 50 in a 60 zone in the middle of the night because I "looked suspicious". I had just put a new transmission in my Mustang and was taking it out for the first drive. Cop then spent 20 minutes asking me about the car lol.
A friend in Florida told be they have a law that implies that it's OK to shoot someone if they look "dangerous." We then tried to decide what makes one look dangerous. Maybe a nervous twitch? If you go down there, given your size, tats, etc, maybe you should try to look silly, but not crazy-silly :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.