[Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.45" / 2.95" / 3.45" instead of 2.5" / 3" / 3.5"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mus

[Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.45" / 2.95" / 3.45" instead of 2.5" / 3" / 3.5"

Post by mus »

Hi,

Most of the cities and counties in California (and many more elsewhere) classify knives with blade lengths 3" and longer as dangerous weapons and impose restrictions on carrying those. (see: http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf)

Sal, Eric: Could you please make the next Caly 3 (and maybe other future knives) with a blade length of 2.95" instead of 3" ?

I love all of your designs. By keeping the blade length at 2.95" in the Native 5 you did a perfect thing! Perhaps you could make your future blades with lengths like 2.45" / 2.95" / 3.45" instead of 2.5" / 3" / 3.5" to keep them within the legal boundaries and we can carry more Spyderco's without worrying.

Thanks a lot! For everything!
Last edited by mus on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gingerninja

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Post by gingerninja »

I like my 3, 3.5 and 4 inch knives
ZrowsN1s

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hey mus welcome to the forum. I'm in So Cal. Still no length restriction laws like that where I live, but sad to see so many cities I know on that list :(
I'd be P.O.'d if I suddenly wasn't allowed to carry a significant portion of my folders. A lot of my knives are between 3 and 3.5 inches.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

double post
Last edited by DougC-3 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I haven't just sat down and measured all my knives, but I seem to remember that a lot of them already are just below the exact inch or half-inch increments. Also I was under the impression that most places with length laws stated it as "up to" or "not greater than" 3", 3.5" or 4" (in my city) and so forth. Please correct me in both cases if I'm wrong. I know there must be some exceptions, as in mus's case. I have noticed that some spydies go just a hair over integer amounts and I don't blame anybody for being reluctant to grind off a bit.

Has anyone heard of a case where someone was fined, apprehended, or had their knife taken from them because of length laws? I never have, but then I don't usually hang out in such interesting places :p I'm thinking of getting the new Police, which is over the legal limit where I live, but I don't think that law would be applied in my house or yard, and in my whole life, no one in authority has ever shown any interest in the length of my knives.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DougC-3 wrote:Has anyone heard of a case where someone was fined, apprehended, or had their knife taken from them because of length laws? I never have, but then I don't usually hang out in such interesting places :p I'm thinking of getting the new Police, which is over the legal limit where I live, but I don't think that law would be applied in my house or yard, and in my whole life, no one in authority has ever shown any interest in the length of my knives.
Am sure that someone will claim to be or know someone, somewhere, who was stopped for that while simply walking down the street minding their own business. I'm equally sure that, with the possible exception of NYC, in virtually every case where someone is caught carrying an "illegal knife" it was some combination of behavior, demeanor, location, and attitude that provoked the frisk and the discovery of the knife. Cops don't have X-ray vision.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Indeed!

Blade lengths of 2.99" for legal carry in more places.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Just measured my Para 3 and it appears to be 2-15/16" :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just sharpen them a few times and the length will drop down to legal limits.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:Just sharpen them a few times and the length will drop down to legal limits.
This. Why affect everyone?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Evil D wrote:Just sharpen them a few times and the length will drop down to legal limits.
Not going to work where some coppers go by the specified blade length. Often, you're at the mercy of subjectivity.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RamZar wrote:
Not going to work where some coppers go by the specified blade length. Often, you're at the mercy of subjectivity.
I suppose that's true. It would at least be something you could argue in court. My attitude towards this subject has always been to just stay out of trouble and that it all depends on what you did to give the officer a reason to stop and search you in the first place. But, I also live in a state where we have more freedom than most.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mus

Post by mus »

DougC-3 wrote:I haven't just sat down and measured all my knives, but I seem to remember that a lot of them already are just below the exact inch or half-inch increments. Also I was under the impression that most places with length laws stated it as "up to" or "not greater than" 3", 3.5" or 4" (in my city) and so forth. Please correct me in both cases if I'm wrong. I know there must be some exceptions, as in mus's case. I have noticed that some spydies go just a hair over integer amounts and I don't blame anybody for being reluctant to grind off a bit.

Has anyone heard of a case where someone was fined, apprehended, or had their knife taken from them because of length laws? I never have, but then I don't usually hang out in such interesting places :p I'm thinking of getting the new Police, which is over the legal limit where I live, but I don't think that law would be applied in my house or yard, and in my whole life, no one in authority has ever shown any interest in the length of my knives.
Hi Doug,

Unfortunately most of the places I go to have exactly this limitation: "Dangerous weapon" means and includes, but shall not be limited to the following: Any knife with a blade three inches or more in length" and you are prohibited to carry them around in public places.

Not sure that it will come to the case where they will take out a ruler and measure it; however it would be nice to have that confidence of being able to pull out the manufacturer's specifications and show them that this blade is just fine (legally), in case.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I suspect the OP is a troll by another name. Prove me wrong and I'll apologize.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mus,

Welcome to our forum.

Most of our knives are made just below the measurement listed. 3" blades will generally be just under 3, 3.5" will be just under 3.5", etc.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've never heard of blade length laws being used to arrest someone. I've carried my Police 3 etc. in countless establishments with no weapons policies without issue.
:unicorn
mus

Post by mus »

wrdwrght wrote:I suspect the OP is a troll by another name. Prove me wrong and I'll apologize.
I don't know how I can prove but I'm not a troll.
mus

Post by mus »

sal wrote:Hi Mus,

Welcome to our forum.

Most of our knives are made just below the measurement listed. 3" blades will generally be just under 3, 3.5" will be just under 3.5", etc.

sal
Thank you Sal! You're the best!
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

gingerninja wrote:I like my 3, 3.5 and 4 inch knives
Come on,...no one you know will miss 1/20" of an inch in length ;)
In legal terms,...size does matter here!
mus wrote:Hi,

Most of the cities and counties in California (and many more elsewhere) classify knives with blade lengths 3" and longer as dangerous weapons and impose restrictions on carrying those. (see: http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf)
California has a lot of bogus laws,.... and it should read "knives longer than 3", and not "3" and longer". Geeze,.... only a lame cop would bust someone at the 3" level,...even IF he/she is short on their daily quota. ;)

One California law that makes NO sense affects me directly, as they restrict any Yawara Stick made in metal, and place it in the same category as a "fist load",.. in the same grouping as brass knuckles, or even a roll of nickles or quarters when used as a weapon. (the "old school" solution to getting an edge in a fistfight).

So my Titanium Self Defense Yawara Sticks, made in three different thicknesses and lengths, .... are technically illegal there. :eek:

However, the MUCH heavier and bulkier Cold Steel Koga SD1 polymer stick is perfectly fine to my understanding.

....just seems to me that if you're going to pass a law restricting any self defense stick on the basis of being a "fist load",...the relevant criteria SHOULD be WEIGHT, and NOT the material it is made from! Jackasses in Gooberment at work again....
Last edited by Ti Rod Tactical on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

mus wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:I suspect the OP is a troll by another name. Prove me wrong and I'll apologize.
I don't know how I can prove but I'm not a troll.
So you understand, we have an account here (active of late after months of inactivity) that presents smidge-here, smudge-there proposals, then belittles the doubters. If you're not doing that, fine, and welcome.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”