[Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.45" / 2.95" / 3.45" instead of 2.5" / 3" / 3.5"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mus
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:01 pm

[Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.45" / 2.95" / 3.45" instead of 2.5" / 3" / 3.5"

Postby mus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:32 pm

Hi,

Most of the cities and counties in California (and many more elsewhere) classify knives with blade lengths 3" and longer as dangerous weapons and impose restrictions on carrying those. (see: http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf)

Sal, Eric: Could you please make the next Caly 3 (and maybe other future knives) with a blade length of 2.95" instead of 3" ?

I love all of your designs. By keeping the blade length at 2.95" in the Native 5 you did a perfect thing! Perhaps you could make your future blades with lengths like 2.45" / 2.95" / 3.45" instead of 2.5" / 3" / 3.5" to keep them within the legal boundaries and we can carry more Spyderco's without worrying.

Thanks a lot! For everything!
Last edited by mus on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gingerninja
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:35 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby gingerninja » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 am

I like my 3, 3.5 and 4 inch knives

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4931
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby ZrowsN1s » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:16 am

Hey mus welcome to the forum. I'm in So Cal. Still no length restriction laws like that where I live, but sad to see so many cities I know on that list :(
I'd be P.O.'d if I suddenly wasn't allowed to carry a significant portion of my folders. A lot of my knives are between 3 and 3.5 inches.
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3478
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby DougC-3 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:11 am

double post
Last edited by DougC-3 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: :cool:
Upcoming on my spydie-radar: St. Nick's Dodo, I wish :p :spyder:

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3478
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby DougC-3 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:13 am

I haven't just sat down and measured all my knives, but I seem to remember that a lot of them already are just below the exact inch or half-inch increments. Also I was under the impression that most places with length laws stated it as "up to" or "not greater than" 3", 3.5" or 4" (in my city) and so forth. Please correct me in both cases if I'm wrong. I know there must be some exceptions, as in mus's case. I have noticed that some spydies go just a hair over integer amounts and I don't blame anybody for being reluctant to grind off a bit.

Has anyone heard of a case where someone was fined, apprehended, or had their knife taken from them because of length laws? I never have, but then I don't usually hang out in such interesting places :p I'm thinking of getting the new Police, which is over the legal limit where I live, but I don't think that law would be applied in my house or yard, and in my whole life, no one in authority has ever shown any interest in the length of my knives.
:spyder: :cool:
Upcoming on my spydie-radar: St. Nick's Dodo, I wish :p :spyder:

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25147
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby The Deacon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:57 am

DougC-3 wrote:Has anyone heard of a case where someone was fined, apprehended, or had their knife taken from them because of length laws? I never have, but then I don't usually hang out in such interesting places :p I'm thinking of getting the new Police, which is over the legal limit where I live, but I don't think that law would be applied in my house or yard, and in my whole life, no one in authority has ever shown any interest in the length of my knives.
Am sure that someone will claim to be or know someone, somewhere, who was stopped for that while simply walking down the street minding their own business. I'm equally sure that, with the possible exception of NYC, in virtually every case where someone is caught carrying an "illegal knife" it was some combination of behavior, demeanor, location, and attitude that provoked the frisk and the discovery of the knife. Cops don't have X-ray vision.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
RamZar
Member
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 am
Location: SoCal, USA

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby RamZar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:06 am

Indeed!

Blade lengths of 2.99" for legal carry in more places.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln

bouhunter
Member
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:48 am

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby bouhunter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:47 am

Just measured my Para 3 and it appears to be 2-15/16" :)

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21148
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby Evil D » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:45 am

Just sharpen them a few times and the length will drop down to legal limits.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

twinboysdad
Member
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby twinboysdad » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:57 am

Evil D wrote:Just sharpen them a few times and the length will drop down to legal limits.
This. Why affect everyone?

User avatar
RamZar
Member
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 am
Location: SoCal, USA

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby RamZar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:13 am

Evil D wrote:Just sharpen them a few times and the length will drop down to legal limits.
Not going to work where some coppers go by the specified blade length. Often, you're at the mercy of subjectivity.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21148
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby Evil D » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:19 am

RamZar wrote:
Evil D wrote:Just sharpen them a few times and the length will drop down to legal limits.
Not going to work where some coppers go by the specified blade length. Often, you're at the mercy of subjectivity.
I suppose that's true. It would at least be something you could argue in court. My attitude towards this subject has always been to just stay out of trouble and that it all depends on what you did to give the officer a reason to stop and search you in the first place. But, I also live in a state where we have more freedom than most.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

mus
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby mus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:29 am

DougC-3 wrote:I haven't just sat down and measured all my knives, but I seem to remember that a lot of them already are just below the exact inch or half-inch increments. Also I was under the impression that most places with length laws stated it as "up to" or "not greater than" 3", 3.5" or 4" (in my city) and so forth. Please correct me in both cases if I'm wrong. I know there must be some exceptions, as in mus's case. I have noticed that some spydies go just a hair over integer amounts and I don't blame anybody for being reluctant to grind off a bit.

Has anyone heard of a case where someone was fined, apprehended, or had their knife taken from them because of length laws? I never have, but then I don't usually hang out in such interesting places :p I'm thinking of getting the new Police, which is over the legal limit where I live, but I don't think that law would be applied in my house or yard, and in my whole life, no one in authority has ever shown any interest in the length of my knives.
Hi Doug,

Unfortunately most of the places I go to have exactly this limitation: "Dangerous weapon" means and includes, but shall not be limited to the following: Any knife with a blade three inches or more in length" and you are prohibited to carry them around in public places.

Not sure that it will come to the case where they will take out a ruler and measure it; however it would be nice to have that confidence of being able to pull out the manufacturer's specifications and show them that this blade is just fine (legally), in case.

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3020
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby wrdwrght » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:56 am

I suspect the OP is a troll by another name. Prove me wrong and I'll apologize.
Marc <— a mere data-point

RECENT ARRIVAL: 10V PM2. ON RADAR: Lil’ Native slipjoint. IN DREAMS: 4V Military2 stop-lock; 52100 Shaman; Vanax Chief.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12810
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby sal » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi Mus,

Welcome to our forum.

Most of our knives are made just below the measurement listed. 3" blades will generally be just under 3, 3.5" will be just under 3.5", etc.

sal

AccountDeletedUserRequest
Member
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby AccountDeletedUserRequest » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:58 pm

I've never heard of blade length laws being used to arrest someone. I've carried my Police 3 etc. in countless establishments with no weapons policies without issue.

mus
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby mus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:03 pm

wrdwrght wrote:I suspect the OP is a troll by another name. Prove me wrong and I'll apologize.
I don't know how I can prove but I'm not a troll.

mus
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby mus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:04 pm

sal wrote:Hi Mus,

Welcome to our forum.

Most of our knives are made just below the measurement listed. 3" blades will generally be just under 3, 3.5" will be just under 3.5", etc.

sal
Thank you Sal! You're the best!

Ti Rod Tactical
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:52 pm
Location: Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby Ti Rod Tactical » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:20 pm

gingerninja wrote:I like my 3, 3.5 and 4 inch knives
Come on,...no one you know will miss 1/20" of an inch in length ;)
In legal terms,...size does matter here!
mus wrote:Hi,

Most of the cities and counties in California (and many more elsewhere) classify knives with blade lengths 3" and longer as dangerous weapons and impose restrictions on carrying those. (see: http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf)
California has a lot of bogus laws,.... and it should read "knives longer than 3", and not "3" and longer". Geeze,.... only a lame cop would bust someone at the 3" level,...even IF he/she is short on their daily quota. ;)

One California law that makes NO sense affects me directly, as they restrict any Yawara Stick made in metal, and place it in the same category as a "fist load",.. in the same grouping as brass knuckles, or even a roll of nickles or quarters when used as a weapon. (the "old school" solution to getting an edge in a fistfight).

So my Titanium Self Defense Yawara Sticks, made in three different thicknesses and lengths, .... are technically illegal there. :eek:

However, the MUCH heavier and bulkier Cold Steel Koga SD1 polymer stick is perfectly fine to my understanding.

....just seems to me that if you're going to pass a law restricting any self defense stick on the basis of being a "fist load",...the relevant criteria SHOULD be WEIGHT, and NOT the material it is made from! Jackasses in Gooberment at work again....
Last edited by Ti Rod Tactical on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3020
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: [Legal concern] Please use blade lengths like 2.95" / 3.45" / 3.95" instead of 3" / 3.5" / 4"

Postby wrdwrght » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:24 pm

mus wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:I suspect the OP is a troll by another name. Prove me wrong and I'll apologize.
I don't know how I can prove but I'm not a troll.
So you understand, we have an account here (active of late after months of inactivity) that presents smidge-here, smudge-there proposals, then belittles the doubters. If you're not doing that, fine, and welcome.
Marc <— a mere data-point

RECENT ARRIVAL: 10V PM2. ON RADAR: Lil’ Native slipjoint. IN DREAMS: 4V Military2 stop-lock; 52100 Shaman; Vanax Chief.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: attila, dammyippon, DTPrime, GiftedMisfit, Google [Bot], Johncjeff, JuPaul, Lumpy620, wrdwrght and 33 guests