Full Spyder Edge Millie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scottie3000

Full Spyder Edge Millie?

Post by Scottie3000 »

There was some talk about a full Serrated Military a while back, is that still something in the works? I tried to search but didn't find anything.
JD Spydo

Re: Full Spyder Edge Millie?

Post by JD Spydo »

Scottie3000 wrote:There was some talk about a full Serrated Military a while back, is that still something in the works? I tried to search but didn't find anything.
Brother I wish!! I wish!!! I wish!! One of my biggest regrets that I've had over the years was one of my Spyderco knife trades where I traded away my 440V full Spyderedged Military :( and you just don't know how much I've wanted that one back over the years. I've heard that there was some serious talk here a while back and that there are plans for another full Spyderedged Military but what I was told is that most likely it will be a Sprint Run.

I hope that isn't the case but even if it is I'll be getting at least two of them ( one for the collection and one for hard use :cool: )

If our collective, constant petitioning of the Great Spyder Factory is recognized I have little doubt that sometime in the next 18 months or so we'll be seeing a new Spyderedged, C-36 Military models. And you'll be hearing the song "Happy Days Are Here Again"!!! :D Just keep on asking my friend>> we'll get our wish I can assure you :cool:
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

I'm 100% in. We have the para 2 and 3 in full SE that just leaves the one!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This thread is lacking pics.

I'd be interested in another one in a tougher steel...Cruwear perhaps?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:This thread is lacking pics.

Brother you if you like that S30V full SE version you would absolutely love the older/better 440V version. Now 440V wasn't one of my very favorite plain edged blades steels but it wasn't all that bad either in PE>> But 440V in Spyderedge is beastly>> even my 440V SE Native proved to be indestructible :cool: I've given the testimony at least 30 times over the years where I had a job that I was going to take one of my Spyders and make it a "sacrificial lamb" so to speak so I picked out my used 440V SE Native out of my footlocker because it wasn't one of my more pricey or collectible models at the time.

I was so pleasantly surprised because I couldn't destroy that knife no matter how I abused it>> and I did really abuse it bad in that job. But I still have it and I still use it. To me 440V is one of my top 5 all time favorite Spyderedged blade steels.

EVIL D what do you think about XHP or even trying M-4 for Spyderedges?>> I think either one of those blade steels would make an awesome Spyderedged Military models.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't have any experience with XHP but M4 would be really interesting in SE.
~David
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Man oh man, would I like one of those. And as for the Shield, I have actually been eyeballing the 45 version of that bad boy all night mulling over whether to buy it or not.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

JD Spydo wrote:

Brother you if you like that S30V full SE version you would absolutely love the older/better 440V version. Now 440V wasn't one of my very favorite plain edged blades steels but it wasn't all that bad either in PE>> But 440V in Spyderedge is beastly>> even my 440V SE Native proved to be indestructible :cool: I've given the testimony at least 30 times over the years where I had a job that I was going to take one of my Spyders and make it a "sacrificial lamb" so to speak so I picked out my used 440V SE Native out of my footlocker because it wasn't one of my more pricey or collectible models at the time.

I was so pleasantly surprised because I couldn't destroy that knife no matter how I abused it>> and I did really abuse it bad in that job. But I still have it and I still use it. To me 440V is one of my top 5 all time favorite Spyderedged blade steels.
JD is dead on IMO. I own a few, and use one of the old 440 warriors on a frequent bases. Absolutely , love the blocky jimping and thumb choil used on the early version.

Here is a snap of some stashed.....
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Have finally gotten my hands on a SE Military so having 3 Mili's with different edge styles I'm quite ok for now but would really like a SE Cruwear!
The SE Mili is such a great user that it should come back anyway..
brj

Post by brj »

I'm in, love my 440V

osprey

Post by osprey »

Count me in for a few, perhaps more if offered in something more exotic than S30V
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dtoad wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Hey BROTHER!! You are seeing what I seen and experienced long ago. Some times these "old school" Spyders had it right from the beginning. That 440V ( S60V) has a high vanadium content>>even though it's a monster to sharpen I don't care because the performance you get from a full Spyderedged Military model with 440V makes it well worth the while.

This good Brother "dtoad" has experienced it first hand and knows full well what I'm talking about. It's my hope that Spyderco might just have some left over bar stock that they could make a huge Sprint Run of 440V full Spyderedged Military models. Again I can't stress enough how great the old 440V Native performed under in a really brutal job and I've also used it in about 3 other very brutal jobs. The 440V NATIVE and Military both remind me of the old Timex watch commercial>> which says "It Takes A Licking and Keeps On Ticking". Even if they use one of the newer supersteels like XHP or something similar I doubt if it would be much better than the older 440V Spyderedged Military model.

There are times when they just got it right or perfect the first time>> and those 440V GOLDEN made Military and Native models are proof of that.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Combo yes, SE no.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dtoad wrote:
Here is a snap of some stashed.....

Wow man, maybe I'd give it a try but it looks like you already own them all lol.
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

osprey wrote:Count me in for a few, perhaps more if offered in something more exotic than S30V
Pretty please. Even S35V would be better
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I'd honestly rather have a steel that's extremely easy to sharpen than one that has high wear resistance. Most people shy away from SE because they're more challenging to sharpen so a steel that's easy to sharpen and get very sharp but is also tough so the teeth don't chip and the edge never needs significant repair would be more beneficial than extreme edge retention. Personally I tend to touch up SE far more often than PE so edge retention is a moot point for SE, I'm much more interesting in keeping them at peak sharpness where performance is best and snagging is least..
~David
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

That's one of the reasons I prefer a combo edge to SE. With a combo edge you have basically 3 knives in one. You have a rope and belt cutter, a utility slicer for boxes and finer cuts and you can use the whole blade for heavy duty jobs. If one section of the blade gets damaged or dulled you still have the other section. I seem to use each section separately most of the time and it stays in good shape longer. If I have a full PE or SE I tend to use the whole blade at once. Plus I like cutting my fingernails with the serrations. Don't have to go looking for nail clippers.

I just don't see the need for serrations on that much of the blade. It makes doing fine cuts much harder and you end up having to carry two knives. Not that it's a bad thing but still.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Midnightrider wrote: I just don't see the need for serrations on that much of the blade. It makes doing fine cuts much harder and you end up having to carry two knives. Not that it's a bad thing but still.
I did some paper thin tomato slices, diced two onions and julienned some peppers last night with my SE Pacific Salt ;)

I'm surprised the SE Military was ever cut from the line-up. Even though I've always purchased them in PE, I viewed the SE as a classic.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I think I'd honestly rather have a steel that's extremely easy to sharpen than one that has high wear resistance. Most people shy away from SE because they're more challenging to sharpen so a steel that's easy to sharpen and get very sharp but is also tough so the teeth don't chip and the edge never needs significant repair would be more beneficial than extreme edge retention. Personally I tend to touch up SE far more often than PE so edge retention is a moot point for SE, I'm much more interesting in keeping them at peak sharpness where performance is best and snagging is least..
Hey ol' Buddy this is one of the rare occasions where we probably disagree :confused: You say you would like to see a full Spyderedged Military model with a blade steel that's relatively easy to sharpen. I kind of see why you lean in that direction but the one factor that made me a huge fan of both the 440V SE Military and 440V SE Native models. It is because I literally tried to destroy my 440V, SE Native and just couldn't do it>> and I had resigned myself into believing that my 440V, SE Native was going to be sacrificed just to get a brutal job done that I needed done. But the result was that 440V became one of my top favorite blade steels for Spyderedges. And believe me Brother it's truly a monster to sharpen too :eek:

But I wouldn't trade my 440V Native for hardly anything at this point because of it having a blade steel that can endure. Ol' Buddy normally I "High Five" just about everything you post but this time I've just got to stick to high performance steels for what I use them for >> irrespective of how difficult they might be to sharpen. My old dad used to say "Nothing Worth While Comes Easy" and for me I apply that to blade steels as well
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Midnightrider wrote:Combo yes, SE no.
Out of my PE/CE/SE Milies I've used my CE most and I specifically like CE on a Mili but I'm afraid it's not popular enough to be commercially interesting to make them. Then again if it's an interesting steel it could be interesting enough to collectors and there might be enough CE users still around that would be happy to finally be able to buy a new one.