Delica or new Salt 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ryguy76

Delica or new Salt 2?

Post by ryguy76 »

Im gearing up to replace my lost Delica 4. Delica being my favourite knife to carry in my collection. Before losing it, I was thinking of buying a Salt I but was waiting for an update in hopes the handle would change to the Delica 4 type. Well, now that it has, I'm wondering if I should replace my Delica or buy the new Salt 2 instead. Can only afford 1 knife at the moment, otherwise I'd be all over both.

I'm just not sure if I'll miss the FFG of the Delica and the pointier tip it has over the Salt line. Thoughts? help a guy decide please. :)
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
Surfingringo

Re: Delica or new Salt 2?

Post by Surfingringo »

It depends. If you are going plain edge and it's not going to see highly corrosive environments then I'd go with the Delica for the FFG and better edge retention. Saltwater or serrated then go with the Salt for sure. As far as the tip, that's very easy to mod so personally I wouldn't base my decision on that.
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

I won't be using it in corrosive environments, but do like the idea that I could fully submerse it for a good ol' cleaning after food prep and maybe even huck it in the dishwasher if push came to shove.
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think it's a bit of a toss up and only you can decide which one you'd prefer. Are you considering a plain edge of serrated edge? If PE I think I'd have to go with the Delica. I like the edge VG10 takes and I find it to be plenty stainless for my needs. If you're considering SE then I think I'd probably go with the Salt 2. Although, I also have a SE VG10 knife and it seems to be great too. So tough choice either way.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

ryguy76 wrote:I won't be using it in corrosive environments, but do like the idea that I could fully submerse it for a good ol' cleaning after food prep and maybe even huck it in the dishwasher if push came to shove.
It's very convenient having a 100% rust proof folder for this reason. You can spray it out with a hose and basically pressure wash the inside out, then give it a drop of lube and you're good to go.

I'd get the Salt 2 then mod a thinner tip on the knife. I do that with all my Pacific Salts.
:unicorn
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

Thanks for the responses... The struggle is REAL! lol.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Are you looking at pe only?
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

Ya, PE.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I agree with everything Surfingringo and Sharp Guy said. I have both and like both, but if I had to pick one, especially in PE, then I would have to pick the Delica. Plus you have a choice of grind, colour and a couple different steels.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Depends how often you mind sharpening, really, and if you mind scratches.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really comes down to steel choice, and for me it also would come down to edge type preference. If I wanted serrations I'd opt for the Salt 2 for H1, but probably choose a Delica for any other steel in PE. VG10 is pretty darn good when it comes to corrosion resistance in all but the more extreme circumstances and the edge retention is significantly better than PE/H1 while still being pretty tough too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David