Gayle Bradley quality?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
seber

Gayle Bradley quality?

Post by seber »

I just received a Gayle Bradley 1 from a recognized seller. I am unable to work the lock with my thumb. I thought maybe it was just me so I took it to my neighbor next door (truck driver) He can't make it work that way either. Then I tried the neighbor on the other side (HVAC repairman). No dice. I had expected to relieve the liner and scale on the other side so I'm not going to return it, but I wonder if all the people who complain about this lock have also gotten overly stiff locks. Could this be a quality control problem or are they always nearly unworkable.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Gayle Bradley quality?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

While it is true that by design the lock bar is not very accessible mine is not overly stiff.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I wouldn't call mine overly stiff but one thing to keep in mind is the beefier liners on this model. Make the relief cut and see how you like it. I was surprised how big a difference it made.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have one that's modified for better access to the lock bar and one that's not modified. The lock bars on both feel stronger than any other liner locks I have. The modified one is much easier to unlock than the unmodified but that's only because I can move the lock bar over from the side. On the unmodified one I find it much easier to unlock by pushing down on the lock bar with my thumb while I'm moving the lock bar over. I think pushing down forces my thumb into the jimping and gives me better traction which makes it easier to unlock.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Mine takes quite a bit of force to persuade over. It irritates the skin on my thumb.

I figure the knife is safer if it is less easy to unlock and it's a good knife if you don't have to unlock it 100 times in one day.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Donut wrote:Mine takes quite a bit of force to persuade over. It irritates the skin on my thumb.

I figure the knife is safer if it is less easy to unlock and it's a good knife if you don't have to unlock it 100 times in one day.
^^ Pretty well describes mine. I see it as an asset for a work knife. Not one I ever intend to play with. But the lock on mine is far from "unable." Just have to press down more than other liner locks before moving it over.

The OP knife must have something else going on, especially if a couple of other "working man's" hands couldn't work it. I would be more suspect of tender office hands. ;)

Lock stick??
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Instead if pressing down, put the thumb pad on the lock, medium pressure and 'rub' it to the left.

Some suggestions on older thread: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 4&start=20
Chris :spyder:
losinground

Post by losinground »

It's not the easiest lock to disengage but for good reason. It's a pretty hard use knife. When I want the blade to close I can do it with no problem though. If you are having issues with your knife the first step would be to contact SFO.
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

Ive had 3 different GB 1s over the years, and all of them have had a very stiff lock bar. Ive developed a technique for opening them with my thumb where I push the meat of it into the gap between the lock bar and the opposing liner and then press it over sideways while continuing to apply firm downward pressure. Its definitely not a knife that I choose to play with for the sake of fondling, but if Im gonna be cutting various materials all day its hard to beat how well it performs.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I removed a little edge of steel of the liner opposite of the lock. I did it both on the GB and the GB2. It works perfectly fine and make the lock more accessable....Bye bye sore thumb. I never had any 'lockstick' issues with any of my 3 GBs, first model. I recently bought the third one and I still love this pocket-tank....
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Between these two descriptions you should have it mastered in no time. I use the same method. I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the quality/value of a GB1.
Sharp Guy wrote:I have one that's modified for better access to the lock bar and one that's not modified. The lock bars on both feel stronger than any other liner locks I have. The modified one is much easier to unlock than the unmodified but that's only because I can move the lock bar over from the side. On the unmodified one I find it much easier to unlock by pushing down on the lock bar with my thumb while I'm moving the lock bar over. I think pushing down forces my thumb into the jimping and gives me better traction which makes it easier to unlock.
wirelessjunkie wrote:Ive had 3 different GB 1s over the years, and all of them have had a very stiff lock bar. Ive developed a technique for opening them with my thumb where I push the meat of it into the gap between the lock bar and the opposing liner and then press it over sideways while continuing to apply firm downward pressure. Its definitely not a knife that I choose to play with for the sake of fondling, but if Im gonna be cutting various materials all day its hard to beat how well it performs.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF