How about a Manix2 in M390 and moonglow side scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: How about a Manix2 in M390 and moonglow side scales?

Post by Bloke »

El Gato wrote:Speaking of moon glow, I have been getting a lot of fruit bats at my hummingbird feeders during the night lately taking all the sugar water. I can see them in the moonlight. They will fly against the feeders and cause the sugar water to drip from the feeding stations and will keep at it again and again until the feeders are empty. I would post pictures but it is hard to take photos with just the moon glow for lighting. :cool:
Does anyone else have these seasonal summer visitors?
Fruit Bats eat our mangoes! :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Bloke wrote:
El Gato wrote:Speaking of moon glow, I have been getting a lot of fruit bats at my hummingbird feeders during the night lately taking all the sugar water. I can see them in the moonlight. They will fly against the feeders and cause the sugar water to drip from the feeding stations and will keep at it again and again until the feeders are empty. I would post pictures but it is hard to take photos with just the moon glow for lighting. :cool:
So you have them too!! They are fun to watch. They come in droves and visit every hummingbird feeder they can find.
But they are only here for a few weeks in late summer, so I am thinking they are young bats taking advantage of the easy sugar water rather than hunting ripe fruit. Like juveniles everywhere, they prefer the easy way ..... :D

Maybe I need to plant Mango trees.

Dave
remnar

Post by remnar »

El Gato wrote:
Bloke wrote:
So you have them too!! They are fun to watch. They come in droves and visit every hummingbird feeder they can find.
But they are only here for a few weeks in late summer, so I am thinking they are young bats taking advantage of the easy sugar water rather than hunting ripe fruit. Like juveniles everywhere, they prefer the easy way ..... :D

Maybe I need to plant Mango trees.

Dave
This sounds cool! I love seeing bats under the moon's glow. This isn't mine but I'm sure others would like to see some pics:

Visit this web page for more pics and information, it's very interesting.
https://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2006/ ... eder-bats/
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Thank you for sharing the link remnar. Great pictures and information.
It is especially interesting being Tucson is just an hour or so away from me. :)
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

remnar wrote:
This sounds cool! I love seeing bats under the moon's glow. This isn't mine but I'm sure others would like to see some pics:

That's pretty cool! There are bats around here but I've never had any come to my hummingbird feeder.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Slumblor wrote:
remnar wrote:

That's pretty cool! There are bats around here but I've never had any come to my hummingbird feeder.
They're nice little Bats but I couldn't see them eating too many mangoes. :)

Check these out! They're a bloody menace and there's squillions of them in the warmer months! :eek:

http://naplesherald.com/2014/03/06/aust ... ting-dogs/
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Bloke wrote:
Slumblor wrote:
remnar wrote:

Check these out! They're a bloody menace and there's squillions of them in the warmer months! :eek:

Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Bloke wrote:
Slumblor wrote:
remnar wrote:

I visited Australia a few years ago and traveled the east coast, I remember at dusk seeing the skies just filled with bats coming out of their roosts, pretty incredible sight.
Not the best photo, but it was dark
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Your best bet is to just take the feeders inside at night. Bats are very simple minded creatures. For example, you could try explaining to the bat that he doesn't belong here, that he's making an arse of himself and annoying the ever loving **** out of the hummingbirds, but you see his brain is too small to comprehend. You could even provide technical data to support why the bat is wrong but his simple little mind will continue to drink your sugar water, because he just doesn't know how else to survive, he has no other place in the world that hasn't already got sick of his BS and ran him off. In the end bats are just one of those annoyances that come around once in a while and pester the **** out of everyone but if you remove their feeding supply they eventually move on to the next group of hummingbirds and try to get attention there. :)
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Evil D wrote:

Your best bet is to just take the feeders inside at night. Bats are very simple minded creatures. For example, you could try explaining to the bat that he doesn't belong here, that he's making an arse of himself and annoying the ever loving **** out of the hummingbirds, but you see his brain is too small to comprehend. You could even provide technical data to support why the bat is wrong but his simple little mind will continue to drink your sugar water, because he just doesn't know how else to survive, he has no other place in the world that hasn't already got sick of his BS and ran him off. In the end bats are just one of those annoyances that come around once in a while and pester the **** out of everyone but if you remove their feeding supply they eventually move on to the next group of hummingbirds and try to get attention there. :)
Exactly!

Mental midget bat ...... stay away from the feeder. :mad:
No more feeding the bat.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evil D wrote:

:D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bqAs0KGDVY
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

ROTFLOL. Now there's an idea ......!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Omfg lol
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Slumblor wrote:
I visited Australia a few years ago and traveled the east coast, I remember at dusk seeing the skies just filled with bats coming out of their roosts, pretty incredible sight.
Not the best photo, but it was dark
Hope you liked us! :)

Thanks for posting the photo. They're a bloody menace to say the least. :rolleyes:

I forgot to add they also carry lyssavirus and Hendra virus which I don't know anything about but they can't be too good. :eek:
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Spyderco you are blacklisted I will not anymore buy any of your knives.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Bloke wrote:Fruit Bats eat our mangoes! :eek:
and... Mangoes ate me baby!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

SolidState wrote:
Bloke wrote:Fruit Bats eat our mangoes! :eek:
and... Mangoes ate me baby!
https://youtu.be/sYTIGXvc88Y
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”