How about a Manix2 in M390 and moonglow side scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson

How about a Manix2 in M390 and moonglow side scales?

Post by Mikael Andersson »

And please make the hardness 62RC+ and give me that good glow. http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2013 ... -moonglow/

#MakeMineMoonglow

And slap on a titanium champagne colored deep carry pocket clip.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
Midnightrider

Re: How about a Manix2 in M390 and moonglow side scales?

Post by Midnightrider »

Will you guys please quit making these kinds of suggestions? I don't have enough money to buy all these if they ever show up over here
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
attila

Post by attila »

please make the hardness 62RC+ and....
M390 (and CTS 204P and CPM 20CV) cannot reach a final hardness of more than 62 HRC without compromising their toughness and/or corrosion resistance. Quality tempers all leave these steels at 61 HRC or lower, and if you aim for 62 or more, your tempering temperatures are either really low or awfully high. Neither is a good idea, really. Just let steels do what their good at, and for M390, that's at 59-61 HRC.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Mikael Andersson

attila wrote:
Just let steels do what their good at, and for M390, that's at 59-61 HRC.
Thats too soft for M390... by going for the 59-61 HRC range you could just stick with S35VN and I strongly believe that Spyderco should strive for 62-64 HRC with M390.
attila

Post by attila »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
attila wrote:
Thats too soft for M390... by going for the 59-61 HRC range you could just stick with S35VN and I think that Spyderco should strive for 62-64 HRC with M390.
You missed the whole point of my response:

Over 62 HRC isn't a realistic goal with M390.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Mikael Andersson

attila wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
attila wrote:
Thats too soft for M390... by going for the 59-61 HRC range you could just stick with S35VN and I think that Spyderco should strive for 62-64 HRC with M390.
You missed the whole point of my response:

Over 62 HRC isn't a realistic goal with M390.
It actually is and with M390 you should go for maximum hardness every time and about S35VN... it's a great steel but M390 is better in every way.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mikael, from the data sheet. Like Attila said, not realistic. According to Bohler 62 is max in both the optimal range for corrosion resistance and the optimal range for wear resistance. Do you just want the highest HRC irregardless of these attributes?
Capture5.JPG
Capture5.JPG (33.32 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
You are too focused on hardness and your comparison of S35VN and M390 at similar hardness is erroneous. There is more to this than maximum HRC. You need to study more. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mikael Andersson

bearfacedkiller wrote:Mikael, from the data sheet. Like Attila said, not realistic. According to Bohler 62 is max in both the optimal range for corrosion resistance and the optimal range for wear resistance. Do you just want the highest HRC irregardless of these attributes?

Capture5.JPG

You are too focused on hardness and your comparison of S35VN and M390 at similar hardness is erroneous. There is more to this than maximum HRC. You need to study more. :)
Highest corrosion resistance is at 64 HRC so whats the problem?

I know that I said go for maximum hardness but I take that back and instead I say go for 62-64 HRC.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Mikael, from the data sheet. Like Attila said, not realistic. According to Bohler 62 is max in both the optimal range for corrosion resistance and the optimal range for wear resistance. Do you just want the highest HRC irregardless of these attributes?

Capture5.JPG

I know that I said go for maximum hardness but I take that back and instead I say go for 62-64 HRC.
Highest corrosion resistance is not at 64, it is below 62 with cryo and well below that without.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mikael Andersson

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:

Capture5.JPG

Highest corrosion resistance is not at 64, it is below 62 with cryo and well below that without.
Ah yes but looking at the chart at about 900°F it actually peaks at 62.5 HRC so going for 62-64 HRC would be a-ok.
attila

Post by attila »

From the S90V data sheet, there is some relevant info in the tempering section:

Tempering in that range causes embrittlement and reduced corrosion resistance in martensitic stainless steels.

Mikael Andersson

attila wrote:From the S90V data sheet, there is some relevant info in the tempering section:

Tempering in that range causes embrittlement and reduced corrosion resistance in martensitic stainless steels.
It's a good thing that I'm not talking about S90V then isn't it?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Both of the Moonglow sprints have been through EDC Forums. EDC Forums had some sort of moonglow supplier.

I believe one of the two parties or three parties Spyderco, EDC Forums, or the supplier; thought it was a bad idea to do more work with knives.

I remember EDC Forums (Jon) said the material costs more than Carbon Fiber, it's tough to work with, and it's tough to get a supply of it. Remember how they ran out of moonglow material and did a run of Manix 2's with a different material and it didn't glow that well?
Last edited by Donut on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

*I hit the wrong button.*
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
attila

Post by attila »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
attila wrote:
Tempering in that range causes embrittlement and reduced corrosion resistance in martensitic stainless
It's still relevant info that we're presenting to help you understand that what you're asking isn't feasible.

If you don't want our input, then you should have said so. You're having been reasonable in the past is the only reason I tried to help you today. My mistake.

Mikael Andersson

attila wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
attila wrote:
Tempering in that range causes embrittlement and reduced corrosion resistance in martensitic stainless
It's still relevant info that we're presenting to help you understand that what you're asking isn't feasible.

If you don't want our input, then you should have said so. You're having been reasonable in the past is the only reason I tried to help you today. My mistake.
I'm just telling you that you are wrong... M390 is fine and dandy at 64 HRC.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I'd be in for a Manix2 in M390, but not with moonglow or a champagne pocket clip, or at that hardness.
Mikael Andersson

Donut wrote:Both of the Moonglow sprints have been through EDC Forums. EDC Forums had some sort of moonglow supplier.

I believe one of the two parties or three parties Spyderco, EDC Forums, or the supplier; thought it was a bad idea to do more work with knives.

I remember EDC Forums (Jon) said the material costs more than Carbon Fiber, it's tough to work with, and it's tough to get a supply of it. Remember how they ran out of moonglow material and did a run of Manix 2's with a different material and it didn't glow that well?
Moonglow being more exclusive than carbon fiber thats pretty cool. :)
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Speaking of moon glow, I have been getting a lot of fruit bats at my hummingbird feeders during the night lately taking all the sugar water. I can see them in the moonlight. They will fly against the feeders and cause the sugar water to drip from the feeding stations and will keep at it again and again until the feeders are empty. I would post pictures but it is hard to take photos with just the moon glow for lighting. :cool:
Does anyone else have these seasonal summer visitors?
Mikael Andersson

El Gato wrote:Speaking of moon glow, I have been getting a lot of fruit bats at my hummingbird feeders during the night lately taking all the sugar water. I can see them in the moonlight. They will fly against the feeders and cause the sugar water to drip from the feeding stations and will keep at it again and again until the feeders are empty. I would post pictures but it is hard to take photos with just the moon glow for lighting. :cool:
Does anyone else have these seasonal summer visitors?
Cool story bro!

Anyways... I will go with 62-63 HRC for M390.