Spyderco Caribbean: Will it change everything?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Caribbean: Will it change everything?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

When the Caribbean folder with lc200n blade is finally released, do you all speculate that this will bring a major paradigm-shift in the use of lc200n rust-proof steel?

Alright, we have the Spyder Chef and the Tusk, and they serve their niche purposes, but, the Caribbean is definitely more of a general-purpose EDC type knife, more akin to the H1 Pacific Salt, and, the Endura/Delica series.

And so, what types of major changes should we expect this particular knife to usher in?
Canazes9

Re: Spyderco Caribbean: Will it change everything?

Post by Canazes9 »

Yes and no. I think that lc200n will change a lot people's opinions about what a steel should be and I like the Caribbean design. I think the Caribbean is too large for a comfortable EDC and it's grooved G10 scales may be too aggressive (for EDC). Regardless, I'm looking fwd to getting my hands on a Caribbean.

David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I agree with Canazes that wider spread use of lc200n will change some people's opinions about what a "good" steel is. It seems to me that in recent years, wear resistance has become the characteristic by which people judge steels, even at the expense of other attributes. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against high carbide, high wear resistance steels...I even favor them for certain types of knives, but wear resistance is not the be all, end all. That said, because of the way we have come to view steels it has become harder to market steels that don't fit that description. What lc200n has going for it is the extreme corrosion resistance. That alone will be enough to make lots of folks try it that would normally overlook a steel that didn't fit todays high carbide obsession. I suspect that many of those folks will like the steel. I think they will like the way it sharpens and they will like the way it performs. I could be wrong but we will get to find out it seems since Spyderco is coming out with a number of knives in this steel.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I would snatch up a Paramilitary made rust proof with lc200n.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

My experience with LC200N is that it delivers near S30V edge holding retention, nearly as easy to sharpen as VG10, as corrosion resistant as H1 and nearly as tough as H1. There is a LOT to like!

David
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Wanimator wrote:I would snatch up a Paramilitary made rust proof with lc200n.

x2

David
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

PM2 in LC200N could probably be my go to knife for the rest of my life. My sweaty hands have put rust spots on my S110V blades and even my M390 PM2. So I think for people like me, who also live in humid climates, LC200N is a game changer and the Caribbean is certainly a move in that direction.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm pretty interested in it. I really like the sheepsfoot version and I like a lot of other features of these knives overall. I don't necessarily put corrosion resistance above other traits but if the edge retention is better than H1 and the toughness is on par then it'll make a great work knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

A D'Allara with LC200N and an upgraded CBBL would get my $ also.

David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think I'm going to hold out for a lockback in the Endura - Police size. I'm really excited to try LC200N out. H1 is my favorite steel, so it's right up my alley.
:unicorn
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Lc200n is my favorite stainless steel as of now. If i can only have one kind of steel for my blades, it would be it.
kelpie

Post by kelpie »

Caribbean sheepsfoot must be so close to a D'Allara in hand, I haven't compared the measurements but by eye from the catalogue they leave a similar shadow.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't know if it will "change everything", but I'd sure love to see a PE FFG Lc200n version of the Autonomy. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Deacon wrote:Don't know if it will "change everything", but I'd sure love to see a PE FFG Lc200n version of the Autonomy. :)
I'm not sure if you have used this steel yet Paul, but I suspect you will like it quite a bit. It sharpens and performs in the vg10 range and has corrosion resistance that is nearly on par with H1.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Wouldn't mind seeing a Sprint run of Seki FRN's in LC200N.. Not exactly Salts with the liners but pretty close and would be a great way to try this steel for a lot of interested users. :)
(and maybe an LC200N UKPK as well ;) )
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Canazes9 wrote:My experience with LC200N is that it delivers near S30V edge holding retention, nearly as easy to sharpen as VG10, as corrosion resistant as H1 and nearly as tough as H1. There is a LOT to like!

David
If LC200N performs like this, it will be hard to beat as the perfect EDC steel. No worries about maintenance, no worries about chipping, very easy to sharpen, and more than sufficient edge holding.

Cedric & Ada on Youtube has it performing substantially better in his particular rope cutting tests than S30V and VG-10.

Surfingringo says it performs like VG-10, presumably in edge holding and ease of sharpening, with almos H-1 corrosion resistance.

I haven't tried it but would love to try it in Delica 4 and DF2 and in the new Little Native compression lock that is supposed to come out soon. Also on a PM3 with an improved or no lanyard hole.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

"Change everything"? In the context I take you to mean, I think H1 did that. Hey, just ask Vivi. ;) FWIW, H1 is the most represented steel in my collection, after S30V.

I see LC200N as an incremental improvement on H1. My SpydieChef holds an edge in PE way better than my PE Pacific Salt (but I have yet to go less than 15DPS like Vivi).

If LC200N holds an edge in SE way worse than H1, I'll need to revise my thinking. I don't forsee that need.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm not sure if you have used this steel yet Paul, but I suspect you will like it quite a bit. It sharpens and performs in the vg10 range and has corrosion resistance that is nearly on par with H1.
No folders in it yet Lance, but I've played around a bit with an MT25 which is why I'd like to see it in a folder I'd use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:When the Caribbean folder with lc200n blade is finally released, do you all speculate that this will bring a major paradigm-shift in the use of lc200n rust-proof steel?
Only if it turns out to be a commercial success.....

....We have to remember that we knife knuts make up a bare 1% of the knife market as a whole.

While we might all be looking at a particular knife model as the next big thing and an obvious slam-dunk, it may get simply overlooked and not spark any 'paradigm shift' at all.....Spyderco are right out on the edge of the possible: to be there they have to do things which may be beyond the majority of knife buyers.

Sorry to pour cold water on all this enthusiasm, but them's the breaks in a commercial world I'm afraid.....We here could all name half a dozen models which didn't catch on, but should have.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If edge retention is on par with VG10 and toughness and ease of sharpening is on par with H1 then this probably is the perfect all around steel. I really do favor high wear resistant steels but my daily uses have mellowed out enough that I think I could live with a steel like that as long as the edge retention is VG10ish. I tend to touch up my edges after every use anyway so I don't necessarily need a steel that will cut for 3 weeks without needing sharpened. Plus if the edge taking is at all similar to 52100/AEB-L as I've seen some people say, I think I'll really like it. I really hope to see a Military in this steel, but I think I'm going to really like the Caribbean so much that it may be a strong competition for the Military anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David