You're so dirty...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

You're so dirty...

Post by Surfingringo »

But I love you anyway! :cool:

Let's see some pics of dirty, well used Spydies!
Evil D

Re: You're so dirty...

Post by Evil D »

Don't you ever worry about bacteria?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I believe that Brother SURF is actually epitomizing the concept of a "HARD USE" knife :cool: and I can certainly agree with him to a large degree because it goes back to the old cliche " Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" and Brother SURF sure hit the nail directly on the center of the head :cool:

That's why I've admired SURF ever since he's become a citizen of Spyderville. Because Brother SURF "Walks The Walk and he Talks The Talk>> there's no Double Talk with him at all.

Especially when it comes to the H-1 Salt Series>> those knives are meant to be used hard and I doubt if anyone here on the Forum uses their knives any harder than Brother SURF does :cool:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:Don't you ever worry about bacteria?
Not really. This knife gets used only for fishing and it only works on gills or bait. It doesn't process the fish that I eat. Even if it did I wouldn't be too worried. I've been 20 years in the tropics. When I moved down here I decided to drink the water, buy empanadas from street vendors, eat food even if I dropped it on the ground, etc. I figured I would get good and sick a few times when I was young and strong to get my stomach and immune system well trained. I think it worked because I seem to be able to resist just about any bacterial stomach infection these days. I'm not very careful about cleaning my fish processing knives and I have been known to cut a big chunk of sashimi off with this very knife (which gets washed never) and eat it while on the water. I think my immune system may just be at ninja commando level....at least regarding stomach issues.

Edit: I have more than one Pacific Salt so when I carry one for "EDC" it isn't this one. This one lives on the kayak or in the washroom sink with all the other smelly gear. If this knife saw any carry other than kayak use then I would give it a lot more cleaning and sanitizing. Not so much because I would be scared of bacteria but because people would smell me coming from 20 feet away. :p
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Old salts never die, they just smell that way.

Hey, your hat's pretty clean! But you get lots of those I assume. Ha
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I usually wipe them down before pics and many of my woodsy and EDC chores don't really get them too dirty. So here is fair warning. This may get a little bloody. :o It's gonna get dirty.

I am not a germaphobe. I have spent way too much of my life in the woods for days as a time for any of that. I have washed my cook pot in a creek with nothing but a handful of sand for a whole week many times. It actually gets them very clean. Anyway, dirt don't hurt. :) Maybe I just have a strong immune system. ;) I have the stomach of a billy goat.

I will start with this one. Just a little lime juice.

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Here are some dirty Sprig pics. Things may get a little dirtier after this. ;)

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

My S110V Mule has served me well on many hunts. The edge on this one is probably between 20 and 25 degrees done freehand. Is this knife dirty?

-Darby
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yes Darby, I think that qualifies as dirty. :eek: Even I might want to give that one a rinse before eating with it. :p
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I love the hunting and fishing pics but if you are reading this thread then don't think it's all about that. Anything from gardening to utility to food prep to whatever gets your spydies dirty is welcome in this thread!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

My work Delica wharnie is always covered in tape goo. I'll have to take a pic.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:Yes Darby, I think that qualifies as dirty. :eek: Even I might want to give that one a rinse before eating with it. :p
Don't listen to Lance! :p

There's nothing wrong with your knife! Granted the scales are a little dirty but the blade's near spotless ... a little wipe on your pants will fix that. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Yes Darby, I think that qualifies as dirty. :eek: Even I might want to give that one a rinse before eating with it. :p

There's nothing wrong with your knife! Granted the scales are a little dirty but the blade's near spotless ... a little wipe on your pants will fix that. ;)
What makes you think his pants were any cleaner?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Lost something important out roaming in some dense woods with zero trails on a rainy afternoon. My Manix XL was the biggest blade I had on me unfortunately, so it got trail blazing duty that afternoon.

Held up fine to chopping vegetation and some thin branches. Rinsed it out and re-lubed it when I was done, good as new.

i ought to pick up a rock salt for the car :p
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Bloke wrote:

What makes you think his pants were any cleaner?
Ah, hahaha! :)

Valid point Lance! ;)

Darby, disregard my last post and wash your bloody knife! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

:D great thread Lance
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The more I ponder this thread I've realized that the EDC blades I've been using the most lately are rarely what can be called "Clean". I put my Stainless handled, ATS-55, Spyderedged RESCUE model and my digital camo, acid washed M390 Military models are usually always getting a good cleaning at the end of every day's use. Yeah they're dirty as politics just from being used during the day. But not to despair because most Spyders clean up easily ;)

You know when you think about it in those terms it's really kind of a disgrace to have a clean knife at the day's end :rolleyes: Because if you're really using the knives for what they are to be used for they will get dirty on a daily basis.

So from that perspective being filthy from a day's use truly can be construed as a thing of beauty. And I believe that's the point that SURF is trying to get across to us ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am all for getting my knife dirty. But, before I eat with it I am going to at least rinse it off real good. If you take biology and zoology, and some medical courses, you will be careful about what goes in your mouth, I can guarantee it.

(BTW, that word is pronounced ZOH OLOGY, from zoe, life. There is no such word as zu ology.)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:I am all for getting my knife dirty. But, before I eat with it I am going to at least rinse it off real good. If you take biology and zoology, and some medical courses, you will be careful about what goes in your mouth, I can guarantee it.

(BTW, that word is pronounced ZOH OLOGY, from zoe, life. There is no such word as zu ology.)
Nothing is guaranteed Dan. There are thousands of folks out there that have studied all of the above yet stuff their pie holes with McDonald's and
Cheetos every day. I doubt I'm living any closer to the edge than them. ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Surfingringo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:I am all for getting my knife dirty. But, before I eat with it I am going to at least rinse it off real good. If you take biology and zoology, and some medical courses, you will be careful about what goes in your mouth, I can guarantee it.

Nothing is guaranteed Dan. There are thousands of folks out there that have studied all of the above yet stuff their pie holes with McDonald's and
Cheetos every day. I doubt I'm living any closer to the edge than them. ;)
Well, you know the old saying, if you get hurt, rub some dirt on it. In this case, some fish guts. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050