How about an American fixed blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: How about an American fixed blade?

Post by yablanowitz »

JD Spydo wrote:It always has been extremely curious to me as to why we haven't had a full sized fixed blade or one of the premium Hawkbill models made right here in GOLDEN,CO USA Earth :confused:
Two words: Production Capacity. They've even farmed out Mule production to Taichung to make room for current production in Golden.
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

I'm with vivi on the lc200n swick preferably with a three inch blade. Great security especially for water based activities but with the edge retention of lc200n it's a great all round knife not just a salt style knife. Something that many may overlook is the fact that corrosion attacks the edge on your blade as well. I recently came across a misplaced h1 knife in a wet locker on my catamaran. This locker regularly has two or three inches of saltwater running through it and after around 18 months wedged under a bucket in the corner of the locker I could still shave with this knife and there is not one spec of corrosion on it, wish i could say the same about the stern anchor chain that lives in there. With my s110v ukpk the shaving edge has dissappeared just sitting in the draw for a few months on board the boat and there is tiny rust spots all over the blade. So if you want a blade that you can carry in your waistband or around your neck in a sweaty environment then lc200n in a plain edge or h1 in se makes sense. If you only have it there for emergency it's nice to know that the day you want to use it that shaving sharp edge won't have corroded away. Of course you could clean and touch it up every few days, but what if your away on extended trips where weight is critical eg hiking, then you may only pack a very light and small sharpener. Much better to know that the edge on your knife won't degrade at all unless you use it. Actually I haven't tested this with my never summer native 5. Looks like it's going to get a stint in the bottom of the same locker for a few months to see how it goes, I'll keep you posted. To clean my knives including the never summer I just jam them into the sand a few times in about a foot of saltwater and that usually cleans off the blood and guts quite well. They never get rinsed in freshwater "EVER". water is hard to come by at sea, none of my tackle or knives get rinsed off. Fresh water is for drinking and some cooking and that's all. If anything gets rinsed in fresh water it's me!!!! Keeps the smell at a tolerable level.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Good idea. I like knives made in Golden. Great quality,reasonable prices, huge steel options.
Maybe they should try some Phil Wilson design in S110V and blurple G10:) Or some nice thin knife in LC200N for fishing and around water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Shelter Cove in CPM154? Please! :)
Yes please!

A filet knife in LC200N would be fantastic too.
Hey how about a fixed blade version of the Catcherman in full SE with LC200N? Or both of the TEMPERANCE 1 models in LC200N in SE & PE both.

or a Swick in full SE with XHP.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote: Or both of the TEMPERANCE 1 models in LC200N in SE & PE both.
Sounds like one **** of a hiking knife!
:unicorn
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I really hope its not a 3" fixed blade that is why I have a folder. Please something made for camp choirs /cooking and big game cleaning. Honestly a fixed version of the military maybe 5" would be great and fit a multitude of rolles.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: Or both of the TEMPERANCE 1 models in LC200N in SE & PE both.
Sounds like one **** of a hiking knife!
If you ever get your hands on a TEMP 1 model which was originally available in SE & PE both, then most of you guys will see why I love it so much as I do. To me the handle is like it was tailor made for my hand specifically. And I've had a lot of guys tell me that the handle design on the TEMP 1 was near perfect for them too.

I've been wanting a Sprint Run for almost 4 years now but I can be patient and wait because if they would do a Sprint Run in one of the nitrogen based blade steels that would just be awesome. To me it's almost a perfect outdoor knife and it's close to perfect as a kitchen/culinary knife as well and it would be a huge addition to the Salt Series. The serrated version is truly a mega-beast of a cutter.

Oh I do like the TEMP 2 as well but the blade length and the fact that you can get the TEMP 1 in Spyderedge makes it perfect for what I mainly use a fixed blade for. And I would love to maybe see a GOLDEN, CO USA Earth version in one of the supersteels. Anyone who tries the TEMP 1 model I've never heard anyone say anything but good about it. Case Closed ;)
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

The Temp 1 handle did not fit my hand well at all. That is why I sold it. It was too big front to back.
OTOH I would love to see that fixed blade mili, 4-5" blade with same shape as Mili, handle proportioned for a fixed blade, in Cruwear! :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've gotten to handle a Temp 1 while visiting a friend, but never found one to purchase. I'd love to see it brought back. My Aqua Salt is my favorite hiking fixed blade and it shares a lot of similarities with the Temp. The FFG and broader blade would work well for many of my uses.
:unicorn